Reload this Page >

What is a PRO really?

What is a PRO really?

Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a PRO really?

Hi,

until now I believed the PRO is the person in my husbands company who takes care of our visas, but today I found out that the PRO is somebody outside of the company.... What is a PRO? A relocation agent, governement employee, lawyer,...? Is it usual to ask for the contact details of the PRO and call him up for visa questions?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a PRO really?

Originally Posted by alexalexa
Hi,

until now I believed the PRO is the person in my husbands company who takes care of our visas, but today I found out that the PRO is somebody outside of the company.... What is a PRO? A relocation agent, governement employee, lawyer,...? Is it usual to ask for the contact details of the PRO and call him up for visa questions?

Many thanks!
Usually the PRO (Public Relations Officer) is an employee of the company who deals with visas and passports as you have said. I'm not sure about the one outside the company.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highways
Usually the PRO (Public Relations Officer) is an employee of the company who deals with visas and passports as you have said. I'm not sure about the one outside the company.
think in general it's only bigger companies that have in house pros...the others are lawyers who work for law firms, or are independent...

MM, xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

They should really be called BRO's (Bureaucracy Relations Officers) or GRO's (Government Relations Officers) as they do bugger-all to foster good public relations from my experience.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your answers. I asked the company now who their PRO is, and they told us it is a government employee and we can't contact him. I have the bad feeling that our company, which is small is just trying to skip the step of hiring a lawywer since the visa process so far has been a mess. Any advice on what I could do?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answers. I asked the company now who their PRO is, and they told us it is a government employee and we can't contact him. I have the bad feeling that our company, which is small is just trying to skip the step of hiring a lawywer since the visa process so far has been a mess. Any advice on what I could do?
i could let you have the contact details for a good independent pro if you want, let me know...

MM, xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Noone hires a lawyer to do a PRO job...And your company probably has a freelance PRO who charges them on a transaction basis...
Also, you should be smelling the monkey a mile away...I see troubble in the horizon...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
Noone hires a lawyer to do a PRO job...
that's not correct...

MM, xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

I asked the company if I could talk to the PRO and that is what they told us:

"Our PRO (government employee) works for our company, but is not assigned to individuals, hence the reason we have not allocated a direct person to you."

What can I do now?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:56 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

I asked the company if I could talk to the PRO and that is what they told us:

"Our PRO (government employee) works for our company, but is not assigned to individuals, hence the reason we have not allocated a direct person to you."

What can I do now?
Ummm, how about going to the relative govt office and discussing what the issue is with them? I dunno, maybe there'll be a language problem or something though.... Kinda strange ur company isnt helping you out with govt / visa issues..!

You could also go to a "typing office" or whatever they're called (they're all over the place).. them people are usually helpful with govt stuff and could guide you better?

Last edited by zamboooka; Aug 20th 2008 at 5:59 pm. Reason: afterthought
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that's not correct...

MM, xx
Allow me to be pedantic; companies who have income exceeding USD100 million a year would hire a lawyer to attend to legal and regulatory matters within Governmental framework, but doesn't mean that a lawyer that gets AED30K+++ will go and wait in line to push paper in front of the Immigration officer...
PROs in my company get AED7K a month...And they're shit by the way...The stories they tell you...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zamboooka
Ummm, how about going to the relative govt office and discussing what the issue is with them? I dunno, maybe there'll be a language problem or something though.... Kinda strange ur company isnt helping you out with govt / visa issues..!

You could also go to a "typing office" or whatever they're called (they're all over the place).. them people are usually helpful with govt stuff and could guide you better?
Typing centres know more about official ins and outs than anyone else...But still, officials will only entertain people who have a PRO card and not the person who has their photo on the forms (exceptions always happen...)
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Allow me to be pedantic; companies who have income exceeding USD100 million a year would hire a lawyer to attend to legal and regulatory matters within Governmental framework, but doesn't mean that a lawyer that gets AED30K+++ will go and wait in line to push paper in front of the Immigration officer...
allow me to be pedantic...that's exactly what some junior lawyers from the top firms have to do, our pro did just that when we moved over here...

MM, xx
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
allow me to be pedantic...that's exactly what some junior lawyers from the top firms have to do, our pro did just that when we moved over here...

MM, xx
Oh I see...Like a pledge in a university fraternity...Cleaning up other people's shit and shit...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh I see...Like a pledge in a university fraternity...Cleaning up other people's shit and shit...
no, nothing like that...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.