Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

....what are the pluses of living in abu dhabi..

....what are the pluses of living in abu dhabi..

Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

friendly bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ....what are the pluses of living in abu dhabi..

hi...trying to do some quick homework on abu dhabi.....my OH has been offered a couple of positions in ab and several others in various other countries....weighing up positives etc is always hard......what are the positives of coming to live and work in abu dhabi ? what does abu dhabi give you that other countries don't,leaving the financial bit aside as we wouldn't be coming for financial gain .........any help her e would be greatly appreciated.....many thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:03 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ....what are the pluses of living in abu dhabi..

Originally Posted by friendly bear
hi...trying to do some quick homework on abu dhabi.....my OH has been offered a couple of positions in ab and several others in various other countries....weighing up positives etc is always hard......what are the positives of coming to live and work in abu dhabi ? what does abu dhabi give you that other countries don't,leaving the financial bit aside as we wouldn't be coming for financial gain .........any help her e would be greatly appreciated.....many thanks.
Hello little Ursa,
Very difficult to answer when we don't know what you got already...from where do you hail?

Me? I luv Abu Dhabi for the changing canvas,the opportunities to be in at the start of something(business wise), the cosmopolitan aspects..............
Imho- Abu Dhabi doesn't compromise -you either love it or hate it,no inbetweenies..............and you really gotto go and get the feeling yourself...
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eva
Hello little Ursa,
Very difficult to answer when we don't know what you got already...from where do you hail?

Me? I luv Abu Dhabi for the changing canvas,the opportunities to be in at the start of something(business wise), the cosmopolitan aspects..............
Imho- Abu Dhabi doesn't compromise -you either love it or hate it,no inbetweenies..............and you really gotto go and get the feeling yourself...
hi eva...we are from england and have lived abroad for last 6 years.....we are a family of 4......and want good family life...we are not looking for business opps as that's all done,but want quality of life for the family...things for the kids to do,not shoppers or clubbers.....we want good schools etc all of which we can get here in canada...so looking into why we would come to abu dhabi....money is not the issue.....life enhancement and experience is....so not looking for the stars,but abu dhabi has got to be able to offer and edge in terms of the things we want...does all that make sense ?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

hi eva...we are from england and have lived abroad for last 6 years.....we are a family of 4......and want good family life...we are not looking for business opps as that's all done,but want quality of life for the family...things for the kids to do,not shoppers or clubbers.....we want good schools etc all of which we can get here in canada...so looking into why we would come to abu dhabi....money is not the issue.....life enhancement and experience is....so not looking for the stars,but abu dhabi has got to be able to offer and edge in terms of the things we want...does all that make sense ?
Sure it makes perfect sense.
Can I ask, did you first move abroad in the hope of discovering a 'better' quality of life than blighty proposed ?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eva
Sure it makes perfect sense.
Can I ask, did you first move abroad in the hope of discovering a 'better' quality of life than blighty proposed ?
hi,no we moved to be with the kids alot more...semi retire...but now they are full time school age OH wants to work again....but no the uk was fine just too much of a rat race in london...so now wondering if abu dhabi can offer us anything over what we have already got..
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:38 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi,no we moved to be with the kids alot more...semi retire...but now they are full time school age OH wants to work again....but no the uk was fine just too much of a rat race in london...so now wondering if abu dhabi can offer us anything over what we have already got..

I don't think so.
Abu Dhabi offers nothing.It isn't selling itself.
You have to go find the benefits.Housing and schooling- difficult.
Other than a consistent climate conducive to some of your kids' sports- I'd say in every day life AD falls short- be that clothes or furniture shopping or even groceries- not as you know it .....
Beach clubs? Expensive and beaches????-construction sites probably better description.
Things to do when you -as a couple- get a night out.Other than going for meals in some of the best restaurants anywhere(class system means service is impeccible)-forget a night at the Barbican or Albert Hall although Emirates Palace hosting big music events now.

Clearly you are saying your OH is accomplished business wise.Fine if he is staying with UK/US Company however if his professional expertise is being bought by an Emirati or other Arabic Co-he will have to bite the bullet and be prepared to be regarded in most situ's as 'persona non grata'
You can be the brains behind the Co; be the driving force etc but if you are expat.....you will never be duly credited.Success has to be the idea and implementation exclusively of Nationals.....

Booked your ticket yet?

So, I am not the same dynamic as you.I have staff in US, UK ,Europe and UAE.They are my kids.They all want to be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi!!!!
AD has been a nightmare in terms of schools/housing-but most want extensions,so its gotta have s'thing.I think it has.
For me -as I said its the growth of the place and the mix.
For you?....dunno honestly................
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eva
I don't think so.
Abu Dhabi offers nothing.It isn't selling itself.
You have to go find the benefits.Housing and schooling- difficult.
Other than a consistent climate conducive to some of your kids' sports- I'd say in every day life AD falls short- be that clothes or furniture shopping or even groceries- not as you know it .....
Beach clubs? Expensive and beaches????-construction sites probably better description.
Things to do when you -as a couple- get a night out.Other than going for meals in some of the best restaurants anywhere(class system means service is impeccible)-forget a night at the Barbican or Albert Hall although Emirates Palace hosting big music events now.

Clearly you are saying your OH is accomplished business wise.Fine if he is staying with UK/US Company however if his professional expertise is being bought by an Emirati or other Arabic Co-he will have to bite the bullet and be prepared to be regarded in most situ's as 'persona non grata'
You can be the brains behind the Co; be the driving force etc but if you are expat.....you will never be duly credited.Success has to be the idea and implementation exclusively of Nationals.....

Booked your ticket yet?

So, I am not the same dynamic as you.I have staff in US, UK ,Europe and UAE.They are my kids.They all want to be in Dubai or Abu Dhabi!!!!
AD has been a nightmare in terms of schools/housing-but most want extensions,so its gotta have s'thing.I think it has.
For me -as I said its the growth of the place and the mix.
For you?....dunno honestly................
hi eva....many thanks....we too wonder what it will offer us that we can't get elsewhere....i would love to know what that SOMETHING is that gives it the edge over other locations......that makes your people want to be there....apart from work and tax free salary as these two things are not top of our list......
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road

To be honest, if the tax free salary is not an incentive for you, then you should probably not consider Abu Dhabi. The reason most, if not all, people move here is for tax free income and maybe career development. There really isn't much to do for families and kids in my opinion as compared to Canada.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:35 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here but then ive only got Dubai and the Uk to compare it with.
have never been to canada but from what i have seen and heard it sounds a great lifestyle there.

Why not come for a two week break with your family and have a look around see for yourself if you actually like it and feel at home here or that its just nice for a holiday and you cant wait to get back!
Its a big move if your kids are already settled and you change your mind!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Wise words from a lady who knows........... and the Emiratis are the worst in the region in that particular sense, in my view.

If it was purely a work-related decision I'd recommend Saudi, but you seem to want (quite reasonably) a life-enhancing family experience............ so you might be able to do a teensy weensy bit better than Saudi by looking elsewhere.........
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

The benefits of living in AD or the UAE are often not obvious and can even be intangible and definitely mean different things to different people. You will never know unless you come and visit and see if you have that 'connection'. Have you considered that somewhere like Spain or Australia might suit you more?