Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What not to take to Saudi?

What not to take to Saudi?

Old May 31st 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice
Default Re: What not to take to Saudi?

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
Are you serious? No cameras???

Forgot to mention the Mutawahs ( religious police) who will shout at you if you are female and do not cover your hair. carry little sticks and will hit your legs if your abiyah is not long enough and you show some ankle. Think they will shout at you if you are male and wear shorts. Some friends of mine got into trouble for giggling whilst out shopping. ' Mafe laughing' was the mutawahs cry.

Actually you have more problems from them if you are Saudi, arab or from 3rd world country.
Old May 31st 2005, 9:28 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stormer
No cameras, no books, no bible, no laptops....They definitely lost the plot, if it wasn't for the $$$ I'd tell them to shove it. I wonder what is going to happen when the oil runs out in not too distant future?
btw I'm also in IT, SAP consultant, also considering offer in Oman, package you mentioned earlier sound OK but not too hot. Maybe add another 20k..
Stormer,

Can I ask you which agency you are using?

Ned
Old May 31st 2005, 10:04 pm
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Camera phones are ok and all around saudi, laptops are ok as long as u dont have anything offensive in them, they dont always check your stuff, but incase they decided to, be ready!

If you had the choice, there is one thing that you shouldnt take with you- yourself!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:46 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabs
Camera phones are ok and all around saudi, laptops are ok as long as u dont have anything offensive in them, they dont always check your stuff, but incase they decided to, be ready!

If you had the choice, there is one thing that you shouldnt take with you- yourself!
Agreed,
Search the forum for Saudi.
Previous threads will give you a good insight into KSA.

Personally If i had the choice i would never set foot in that country again, regardless of how much i was going to get paid.