Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What are the factors driving rents in Dubai?

What are the factors driving rents in Dubai?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

SheikhG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the factors driving rents in Dubai?

Hi All,

I m very hopeful to reallocate to Dubai early next year and have a very short question about the rent situation in Dubai. Here it goes;

Reading though many threads in this forum, people are warning newcomers to think about the rising rents when negotiating their remuneration packages.
At the same time, I read other threads in which many people are saying that housing supply is soon (or in a stage off) outstripping demand (and thus predicting a decline in property prices).

Applying basic supply and demand economics we should expect rents to go down, right? Or maybe there are other factors that I haven’t taken into consideration....and I would be grateful if you could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the factors driving rents in Dubai?

Originally Posted by SheikhG
Hi All,

I m very hopeful to reallocate to Dubai early next year and have a very short question about the rent situation in Dubai. Here it goes;

Reading though many threads in this forum, people are warning newcomers to think about the rising rents when negotiating their remuneration packages.
At the same time, I read other threads in which many people are saying that housing supply is soon (or in a stage off) outstripping demand (and thus predicting a decline in property prices).

Applying basic supply and demand economics we should expect rents to go down, right? Or maybe there are other factors that I haven’t taken into consideration....and I would be grateful if you could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!
rents won't go down fella, you'll find somewhere but it may take a little while, get as much as you can for your housing allowance.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

A certain percentage of property owners here have bought with cash and hence are not dependant on rental income to pay off a mortgage.

As a result they are happy to ask a high rent and if there are no takers just leave the place empty.

Other than this, supply and demand is about the only 'law' of economics anyone needs to know.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

villa prices are going through the roof, due to supply and demand. I can see the apartments levelling off thought with the release of so many new buildings.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:31 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
villa prices are going through the roof, due to supply and demand. I can see the apartments levelling off thought with the release of so many new buildings.
how much are the apartments up at your place?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
how much are the apartments up at your place?
140k for a two bed
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:41 pm
why ayeeeee man!

140k for a two bed
apartment as in flat? upstairs or downstairs?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

apartment as in flat? upstairs or downstairs?
apartment, as in tower block
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:58 pm
why ayeeeee man!

apartment, as in tower block
oh balls to that - there's tower blocks at your place?

We're considering moving when our year is up in about 6 months, but we need somewhere big enough and with space for Santi to get out and run around in, we may look elsewhere in Mirdiff, not sure though, its good but those planes....
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:07 pm
Concierge

oh balls to that - there's tower blocks at your place?

We're considering moving when our year is up in about 6 months, but we need somewhere big enough and with space for Santi to get out and run around in, we may look elsewhere in Mirdiff, not sure though, its good but those planes....
come over and have a look before you decide, it is pretty nice actually
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:40 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

140k for a two bed
Lucky Dubai residents. In Abu Dhabi you'll be lucky to find a one bedroom for less than 150k these days...

I just had a meeting with someone who works with the chaps at Dubai properties and they are bringing in software consultants to prepare their rental systems for when the market starts demanding monthly and quarterly rentals...

...things will change in next year or two slowly. I don't think rents will come down a lot but I do think we will see things like one year up front and the ability to raise rents by more than a few percent become rarer in Dubai - there is simply too much being built and not enough demand.

N.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

rents won't go down fella, you'll find somewhere but it may take a little while, get as much as you can for your housing allowance.
Cheers Spugsy, negotiating my offer right now...fingers crossed for an increased housing allowance!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
A certain percentage of property owners here have bought with cash and hence are not dependant on rental income to pay off a mortgage.

As a result they are happy to ask a high rent and if there are no takers just leave the place empty.

Other than this, supply and demand is about the only 'law' of economics anyone needs to know.
yeah, makes sense!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:22 am
why ayeeeee man!

come over and have a look before you decide, it is pretty nice actually
but we need somewhere Santi can just go outside and run around in.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:42 am
Concierge

but we need somewhere Santi can just go outside and run around in.
stay where you are then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.