Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What do you think? Advice please (Dubai , UAE)

What do you think? Advice please (Dubai , UAE)

Old Jul 6th 2013, 11:45 am
Just Joined

la909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you think? Advice please (Dubai , UAE)

This is a long story but I try to keep it short. In 2007 , As I had not got the UAE residence visa yet, I decided to buy a new brand car in the name of my friend's company , which I was supposed to be one of its partners. After that , my friend refused to transfer ownership to me under various pretexts. But the car still had been in my possession until I left UAE about two years later.

In 2009 , I left UAE while the car was parked in a public parking lot. After about two months , my friend sent me a bank letter that declared he has not paid his company loan and the bank is going to seize the car. By the conversation to the bank, it was found that the letter was a fake one. when my friend realized that I got informed about it , he Confessed that after a month after my exit from UAE , he had informed the police that the car was stolen and by false filing of car stealth, had picked up the car from police station. He also threatened me that in the case of following up this matter, I will be prosecuted for the committing the crime of car theft and I will be arrested at the airport as the time I entered the UAE.

It is necessary to mention that I always paid him via a currency exchange and all the claimed documents and other evidences which show the payments and that the car had been in my possession are available.

Please advise me in this regard and here are my questions :

1. Can the police charge someone with an offense such as car theft , while at the time of the crime, the person had been out of the country ?

2. May an arrest warrant has been issued against me in this case ?

3. what should I do in this case? Can I self represent myself or is it essential to retain an advocate to present on my behalf ?

Thanks !
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:53 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think? Advice please (Dubai , UAE)

Welcome to BE, I have no idea what to do but it seems this guy has set you up big time. I would say not return to the UAE?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 5:28 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I'd suggest a lawyer here to first find out whether in fact a case has actually been filed against you. This is straightforward, all the lawyer (or his lacky) needs is a copy of the passport you had at the time.

It sounds like your "friend" is full of shit, however I wouldn't take the risk, so, do the above and then, if you want to return (and bearing in mind you've never had residency here), get a new UK passport.

Simples - as a meerkat once said.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Your friend sounds like a dick.

I don't see how it's your problem tho. If the car is registered in his company's name how can it be linked to you? If you admit you had possesion of it for work (but did not have a visa) they will fine both you and him. 50K I seem to remember. And if he has gone to the Po Po's and said you stole it then that is fraudulent and a crime in the UAE. This is especially true as you can prove you were out of the country at the time of the alleged crime.

Personally I would get a lawyer and check your situation out with the Police and then get the same lawyer to write a letter detailing his crimes and state that should he wish to persist you have no choice but to issue a case against him.

then as Kix says, change your passport and your gravy.