Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What to do in Abu Dhabi?

What to do in Abu Dhabi?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of
Default What to do in Abu Dhabi?

Hi all,

As a true Dubaian... I have been to Abu Dhabi only twice and I am not sure what are the main "attractions". I have family visiting me and I would like to take them for a day to the capital city. I have in a tentative list: the Mosque, Corniche, Emirates Palace, Heritage Village, anything else? Is there anything to do in Yas Island?

Any advice is welcomed!

Cheers.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in Abu Dhabi?

You've probably got the main ones down. Not much on Yas Island--don't know when Ferrari World will be open, but I don't think its imminent: anyone know?

There are some events coming up: Red Bull Air Racing weekend of 26/27 March, El Divo (?) performing 2nd April, Emirates Palace usually has something cultural as well as being worth a visit for a coffee.

Canoeing in the mangroves is possible if that floats your boat.

I don't know Dubai that well, but difficult to image we have anything much down here that you don't have bigger / better / flashier / grosser / more expensive up the road.

Have fun!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You've probably got the main ones down. Not much on Yas Island--don't know when Ferrari World will be open, but I don't think its imminent: anyone know?

There are some events coming up: Red Bull Air Racing weekend of 26/27 March, El Divo (?) performing 2nd April, Emirates Palace usually has something cultural as well as being worth a visit for a coffee.

Canoeing in the mangroves is possible if that floats your boat.

I don't know Dubai that well, but difficult to image we have anything much down here that you don't have bigger / better / flashier / grosser / more expensive / with much more class and nicer people up the road.

Have fun!
Sorted that for you.

Let the fun begin.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:32 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Sorted that for you.

Let the fun begin.
Oi, don't misquote me! And we've established you can't buy class which is why I've already asked for my money back.

And we don't want a North / South divide developing out here, pleeeez.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Oi, don't misquote me! And we've established you can't buy class which is why I've already asked for my money back.

And we don't want a North / South divide developing out here, pleeeez.
Don't get arsey with me or I'll tell Meow!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:43 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Roadking
Don't get arsey with me or I'll tell Meow!
You're obviously not keeping up to date with other threads. I'm already under her spell...
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a nice meal at a fancy restaurant and don't forget to kiss your wife or girlfriend fully on the lips. Yes I know it was at JBR Dubai but why not try it out in the capital? Let us know what happens. If its your boyfriend, there will be no problems.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice

Theres also the cultural foundation which I found really interesting.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

The mosque is well worth a visit.

Mainly Yas is still work in progress, although several hotels with the usual facilities are open.

I was at the Yas Hotel a few week-ends ago (the building with the hair net over it). There is a terrace bar on the top (8th/9th floor iirc) with a view over part of the circuit - there was some saloon car racing going on whilst I was there, a bit noisy though. Visitors can access it no problem.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

You've covered most of the main items. Here are a few more though (some are a little out of town though, and some just as close to Dubai):

- Hot Air Balloon
- The Rainbow Sheikh's Car Museum
- Khalifa Park (Don't forget to visit the "Maritime Museum" which is the closest to a Jorvik Viking Centre in the UAE. It's at the far end of the park. There's also a mini train ride around the park.
- Marina Mall (Specifically the indoor thunderstorm which happens every couple of hours!)
- Indoor Skydiving
- Fish Market down in Mina Port. Choose your fish, and take it to a stall nearby where they will cook to your specification.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

When are they coming?

There is a drag racing festival this weekend on Yas Circuit, 50dhs a pop so quite reasonable.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Il Divo should fit right in here- biggest bunch of pretentious arseholes Ive ever met!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Alley Pally, Trap Bar, Red Lion...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks all for your comments and advice. So I guess I have everything more or less covered for a one day visit.

Cheers
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Noha is an unknown quantity at this point

- Marina Mall (Specifically the indoor thunderstorm which happens every couple of hours!)

Please tell me more!!! An indoor thunderstorm????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.