British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What to do in Abu Dhabi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-do-abu-dhabi-659442/)

klaus3974 Mar 15th 2010 11:07 am

What to do in Abu Dhabi?

Hi all,

As a true Dubaian... I have been to Abu Dhabi only twice and I am not sure what are the main "attractions". I have family visiting me and I would like to take them for a day to the capital city. I have in a tentative list: the Mosque, Corniche, Emirates Palace, Heritage Village, anything else? Is there anything to do in Yas Island?

Any advice is welcomed!

Cheers.

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 12:11 pm

Re: What to do in Abu Dhabi?

You've probably got the main ones down. Not much on Yas Island--don't know when Ferrari World will be open, but I don't think its imminent: anyone know?

There are some events coming up: Red Bull Air Racing weekend of 26/27 March, El Divo (?) performing 2nd April, Emirates Palace usually has something cultural as well as being worth a visit for a coffee.

Canoeing in the mangroves is possible if that floats your boat.

I don't know Dubai that well, but difficult to image we have anything much down here that you don't have bigger / better / flashier / grosser / more expensive up the road.

Have fun!

Roadking Mar 15th 2010 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8420935)
You've probably got the main ones down. Not much on Yas Island--don't know when Ferrari World will be open, but I don't think its imminent: anyone know?

There are some events coming up: Red Bull Air Racing weekend of 26/27 March, El Divo (?) performing 2nd April, Emirates Palace usually has something cultural as well as being worth a visit for a coffee.

Canoeing in the mangroves is possible if that floats your boat.

I don't know Dubai that well, but difficult to image we have anything much down here that you don't have bigger / better / flashier / grosser / more expensive / with much more class and nicer people up the road.

Have fun!

Sorted that for you.

Let the fun begin.

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8420972)
Sorted that for you.

Let the fun begin.

Oi, don't misquote me!:frown: And we've established you can't buy class which is why I've already asked for my money back.

And we don't want a North / South divide developing out here, pleeeez.

Roadking Mar 15th 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8420990)
Oi, don't misquote me!:frown: And we've established you can't buy class which is why I've already asked for my money back.

And we don't want a North / South divide developing out here, pleeeez.

Don't get arsey with me or I'll tell Meow!

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8421007)
Don't get arsey with me or I'll tell Meow!

You're obviously not keeping up to date with other threads. I'm already under her spell...

lionheart Mar 15th 2010 12:58 pm

Have a nice meal at a fancy restaurant and don't forget to kiss your wife or girlfriend fully on the lips. Yes I know it was at JBR Dubai but why not try it out in the capital? Let us know what happens. If its your boyfriend, there will be no problems.

marty&vonnie Mar 15th 2010 1:17 pm

Theres also the cultural foundation which I found really interesting.

Bonny Boy Mar 15th 2010 1:39 pm

The mosque is well worth a visit.

Mainly Yas is still work in progress, although several hotels with the usual facilities are open.

I was at the Yas Hotel a few week-ends ago (the building with the hair net over it). There is a terrace bar on the top (8th/9th floor iirc) with a view over part of the circuit - there was some saloon car racing going on whilst I was there, a bit noisy though. Visitors can access it no problem.

fezzer Mar 15th 2010 2:08 pm

You've covered most of the main items. Here are a few more though (some are a little out of town though, and some just as close to Dubai):

- Hot Air Balloon
- The Rainbow Sheikh's Car Museum
- Khalifa Park (Don't forget to visit the "Maritime Museum" which is the closest to a Jorvik Viking Centre in the UAE. It's at the far end of the park. There's also a mini train ride around the park.
- Marina Mall (Specifically the indoor thunderstorm which happens every couple of hours!)
- Indoor Skydiving
- Fish Market down in Mina Port. Choose your fish, and take it to a stall nearby where they will cook to your specification.

benzonar Mar 15th 2010 2:26 pm

When are they coming?

There is a drag racing festival this weekend on Yas Circuit, 50dhs a pop so quite reasonable.

kittycat1 Mar 15th 2010 3:51 pm

Il Divo should fit right in here- biggest bunch of pretentious arseholes Ive ever met!

Millhouse Mar 15th 2010 4:52 pm

Alley Pally, Trap Bar, Red Lion...

klaus3974 Mar 16th 2010 2:36 am

Thanks all for your comments and advice. So I guess I have everything more or less covered for a one day visit.

Cheers

Noha Mar 17th 2010 5:11 am

- Marina Mall (Specifically the indoor thunderstorm which happens every couple of hours!)

Please tell me more!!! An indoor thunderstorm????