Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

And what for contributing to a pension in the UAE ?

And what for contributing to a pension in the UAE ?

Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:50 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And what for contributing to a pension in the UAE ?

Originally Posted by busybee2
i know that if you have a pension in the uk, they will take off that amount out of your gratituty when you leave here
How would they know? (And who's "they", your employer in the UAE?)
Old Nov 14th 2014, 5:32 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay Tee
As I understand it, UK private pension schemes require you to have relevant earnings based in the UK and many UK provider's permissions/ licences are for UK only.

What are my options for contributing to a private pension scheme while working in the UAE ? ( whose benefits I wish to claim once I have returned to the UK and retired. ) thanks in advance.
Open a private pension before you leave the UK and you are entitled to contribute £2,880 that tax year and the subsequent 5 tax years, and HMRC will top up your pension with a 20% tax rebate each time (£720), even if you have no relevant UK earnings. I like free money and will be making my 6th and final such payment to my HL SIPP in April

Remember that in a SIPP or other private pension scheme that your money it's tied up until age 55, but then you can take 25% tax free. Further cash withdrawals or any regular pension payment you receive will be taxed at your marginal rate.

To save enough for retirement, I 've also opened an online HL Fund & Share Account and mess around on the stock market and funds with my monthly contributions. The easiest way is to buy into a FTSE 100 or 250 index tracker, but be aware of Stamp Duty, Annual Fees and Platform Fees, which all add up.

As a rule of thumb, save from your salary a %age equal to half your age when you start your pension (e.g. 12.5% if you start at age 25).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Nov 14th 2014 at 5:36 am.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

i know that if you have a pension in the uk, they will take off that amount out of your gratituty when you leave here
Utter nonsense. As Bahtatboy says, how would anyone here know what pension you have in the UK, and UAE labour law has no clause allowing the deduction of home-country pensions from a UAE gratuity.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How would they know? (And who's "they", your employer in the UAE?)
yes your employer, if they contribute to a uk pension then they will take that off any gratituy when you leave.... and yes thats if its a uk employer so they will know and they do take it off.... ask a solicitor, anything for a uk employer to minimise the ESOB
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

edit: not private as in company!
Old Nov 15th 2014, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Jay Tee is an unknown quantity at this point

yes your employer, if they contribute to a uk pension then they will take that off any gratituy when you leave.... and yes thats if its a uk employer so they will know and they do take it off.... ask a solicitor, anything for a uk employer to minimise the ESOB
I personally won't be a UK employee should I take the job in the UAE but thanks for pointing this for those that would.

Dear all contributors to this thread , I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your advice/perspectives.