Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car would you buy?

What car would you buy?

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car would you buy?

Have you tried to park an F150? They're massive, length and girth, not ideal for the Madinat Carpark.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by dominoman
At least it's all road miles though if it's been driven that distance. Could be alright?

I'm in Abu Dhabi so a little less choice. But there's still a few. It's my first UAE car and I don't know how things work here yet so I dont want to buy from another Emirate and then have all the faff of registering it.

There's a couple of nice F150's in the next price bracket up (80k AED) on Dubizzle. Would my wife be able to get a baby in the back on her own without a stepladder?
200,000km is a lot on roads I think. Especially as Millhouse has said, there will be a lot of them at high temperatures, in the dust and sand.

No idea to be honest. My thing with the pick-ups has been - what's the point?
What use is that flatbed to you?
If I put a put shop in there it would be chaos. If I put it on the back seats it's a faff.

Spend 80k. Buy something 3/4 of the way to stupid.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:47 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
GMC Yukon or Chevy Tahoe - same car , with different badge / name. GMC badge will cost a little bit extra.
I had a Chevy Tahoe in KSA, the body roll was similar to turning an oil tanker in moderate to heavy seas.

Good for for long straight roads and getting to know all the petrol stations in your locality.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
No idea to be honest. My thing with the pick-ups has been - what's the point?
What use is that flatbed to you?
You can haul 'lumber' in the flat bed on the way to the jobsite. 10-15 labourers might fit in also, if carefully stacked. At the weekend you can stick in a quad or jet ski (not to use just to drive around with).
And should things take a turn for the worst, a 50 caliber anti aircraft gun can be bolted directly to the floor plate.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

At least it's all road miles though if it's been driven that distance. Could be alright?
200k is a lot regardless. People get a bit gittery when its over 150km. An F150 may have well done a fair bit off road too and you will never know. Off road means on the red-line for half a day or so.

Personally, I'd try and buy at 100k if you can. Although I agree many will go on for a hell of a lot longer... but one day you will want to sell it.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

50 k on a 5 year old Fortuner / Pathfinder / Pajero with 100k km would be the sensible choice.
80k on a 5 year old F150 with 100k km would be the heart-driven choice.
I don't think emotions come into it when you're buying a family SUV. You're not choosing between a V6 or a V8, 2 seater sports car.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:28 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
200k is a lot regardless. People get a bit gittery when its over 150km. An F150 may have well done a fair bit off road too and you will never know. Off road means on the red-line for half a day or so.

Personally, I'd try and buy at 100k if you can. Although I agree many will go on for a hell of a lot longer... but one day you will want to sell it.
There are probably major services due at 100k, 150k also just to be sure that they have been carried out.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going for a pick-up - just go for the Ford Raptor...lots of fun to be had in that, no doubt.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
There are probably major services due at 100k, 150k also just to be sure that they have been carried out.
deffo - timing belts are normally 150km. The toyota V6s have chains - so no need to replace.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You can haul 'lumber' in the flat bed on the way to the jobsite. 10-15 labourers might fit in also, if carefully stacked. At the weekend you can stick in a quad or jet ski (not to use just to drive around with).
And should things take a turn for the worst, a 50 caliber anti aircraft gun can be bolted directly to the floor plate.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Have you tried to park an F150? They're massive, length and girth, not ideal for the Madinat Carpark.
Yes that is a slight concern. I'll need to check the dimensions of our underground car park for our new apartment.

My wife struggled to park our last car, a 15 year old Peugeot 206... She often spent 10 minutes holding up traffic in the Tesco car park making 10 attempts to reverse into a spot before giving up and letting me do it

If I get the F-150 I'll look for one with the reversing cameras.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:40 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just use the car you had in Oman?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:47 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Why don't you just use the car you had in Oman?
He may be Domino - Man rather than Dom -in - Oman
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He may be Domino - Man rather than Dom -in - Oman
On that basis he might be better off with a 125cc bike.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If I get the F-150 I'll look for one with the reversing cameras.
Cameras in the older ones are shit.

They didn't get useful till about 3 years ago. Same goes for Chevy.

Silverado, is a fun truck and drives quite nicely. No idea if you get it out your way though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.