Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car would you buy?

What car would you buy?

Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:35 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car would you buy?

Originally Posted by dominoman
Thanks for the ideas.

FJ Cruiser is out. I don't like the look of them much and it has to work for wife to drive too.

I was considering: newish Pajero (cheap but a bit dull), a 5 year old Patrol (could have been caned to death though), Mitsubishi Outlander (good reviews but a bit boring).

Hard to justify spending a fortune for a car that I wont use much.

I definitely like the idea of something big and stupid or different.

The 4l V6 Fortuner does seem a good option. Or maybe the Nissan Armada for the ridiculousness of its size.

Would be nice to have something I could take into the desert though
If you are not going to use it much, and are prepared to do a thorough look at the car why not search the 10-15 year old luxury-barge or exotic market. I am sure there are many cheaply priced in this bracket that might run for a year or so, and could be thrown away if they do break down.

Might be a laugh. (Speaking as someone who bought an Audi 80 quattro, a Lancia delta and at one time a silver shadow wedding car )

Last edited by weasel decentral; Mar 30th 2017 at 9:41 am.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
If you are not going to use it much, and are prepared to do a thorough look at the car why not search the 10-15 year old luxury-barge market. I am sure there are many cheaply priced in this bracket that would run for a year or so, and could be thrown away if they do break down.
Might be a laugh.
Yes - That could work.

What kind of luxury barge that's 10-15 years old? Range Rover? I dont know older cars
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millhouse. Good to know.

I'll go and have a look at a couple of used Nissan Pathfinders and Toyota Fortuners.

Anyone have any experience of the Nissan Armada. Could it be taken off road?
Neither the Armada or the New Pathfinder can really do anything offroad.

What about a Cherokee?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:47 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - That could work.

What kind of luxury barge that's 10-15 years old? Range Rover? I dont know older cars
Mercedes S55l AMG or a BMW 840, or perhaps slightly below that a Lexus GS

Last edited by weasel decentral; Mar 30th 2017 at 9:49 am.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Cherokee. Mercedes S55. BMW 840.

I'm going to be spending the rest of the day on Dubizzle. Lots of Cherokees on there. Couldn't find a single 8 series though.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

If you want something big, then have a look at the Toyota Sequoia. Big V8 engines which are largely taken from the Lexus plants, so it's a great engine. Good off road too.

I love the look of the FJ , considered buying one new, but didn't find it practical enough. Hate the Prado and the Fortuner and the people that drive them. Absolute knobs.

Small SUV, I'd go for a Nissan Xterra - great off road, absolute beast in the sand. If you want to have fun with pimping out a ride, then go for Jeep Wrangler - great fun to be had, fully convertible, and even the doors come off.

Here in Saudi, the Ford Expedition is very popular for full size, and thats what I've got now - the EL version. Again, on the premise that I'd never own a car like that back home. If I had the inclination and wanted to spend money, I'd go for a Nissan Patrol.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
If you want something big, then have a look at the Toyota Sequoia. Big V8 engines which are largely taken from the Lexus plants, so it's a great engine. Good off road too.

I love the look of the FJ , considered buying one new, but didn't find it practical enough. Hate the Prado and the Fortuner and the people that drive them. Absolute knobs.

Small SUV, I'd go for a Nissan Xterra - great off road, absolute beast in the sand. If you want to have fun with pimping out a ride, then go for Jeep Wrangler - great fun to be had, fully convertible, and even the doors come off.

Here in Saudi, the Ford Expedition is very popular for full size, and thats what I've got now - the EL version. Again, on the premise that I'd never own a car like that back home. If I had the inclination and wanted to spend money, I'd go for a Nissan Patrol.
good shout on the Xterra. Do question the Toyota Sequoia offroad - but never seen one so can't really comment.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I had an Xterra with a manual 'box + locking rear diff , never got stuck. Smaller size SUV but with 4L V6. Four door, five seater so more practical than an FJ.

Been out off roading as part of a group and often had a guy with a Sequoia, always seemed able to do the business. Maybe it was the driver rather than the car?

Essentially, when considering an SUV to go off road, the Japanese brands are the only serious contenders.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:41 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound a bit odd, but what about an X3. They don't match your "big" criterion, but your wife would probably appreciate the size. Safe, well-specced, reliable, comfy, and -- apparently -- good off road. Not sure how common they are out there, though.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

What about a Cherokee?
Because they're boring and shit?
Old Mar 31st 2017, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Because they're boring and shit?
Well yes but so are all the others 😀

I always wanted a SRT one though.
Old Mar 31st 2017, 12:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Well yes but so are all the others 😀
Yeah, fair enough
Old Mar 31st 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

So this is my list so far...

Toyota Land Cruiser (not Prado)
Nissan Patrol
Nissan Armada
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Toyota Seqouia
Toyota Fortuner 4l V6
Mitsubishi Pajero
Nissan Pathfinder
GMC Yukon
Ford Expedition EL

I feel a spreadsheet coming on...
Old Mar 31st 2017, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have always had a notion for a Model T Ford, but I am not sure if the air-conditioning is ok.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

get a Wrangler, wife will love it too and nothing really beats them off road. Add afew mods (or get one with the lift and bigger whells already done & you'll have a field day.

Especially if you find one with a hemi fitted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.