Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car to buy in the UAE

What car to buy in the UAE

Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to buy in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You can safely assume that all Patrols and most FJs have seen the sand.
Is that a problem? As an engineery-type I just can't imagine putting such a complex expensive machine spinning through dusty, gritty sand. It would make me wince on behalf of the poor car even though I know they're designed for it.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Is that a problem? As an engineery-type I just can't imagine putting such a complex expensive machine spinning through dusty, gritty sand. It would make me wince on behalf of the poor car even though I know they're designed for it.
They're Japanese. Have faith.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You will just need a good eye to work out which bits have been replaced.
If driven by someone with less than half a brain, it's probably worth avoiding.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:49 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You will just need a good eye to work out which bits have been replaced.
If driven by someone with less than half a brain, it's probably worth avoiding.
The biggest issue here is that a lot of people buy expensive cars but are unwilling to pay the premium that it costs to take care of it properly.

This often means chinese batteries from Satwa, indian tyres from Sharjah, knock-off drive-train parts. Add unprofessional servicing and god help you if there is an accident as some of the bodyshops cut massive corners. We're talking bits of wood inside beams for chassis repairs and replacing mesh hoses with metal pipes. Not easy to spot for someone who doesn't know what to look for though...

Get the car you are thinking of buying checked out by someone you trust. It will be the cheapest 500dhs (or whatever) you will ever spend.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That would be my worry. I've never owned this type of car so I wouldn't know what to look for. I'll have to find a trustworthy guy to check it over. Where would I find one though? I've not even moved to Abu Dhabi yet and don't know anyone in the region.

Perhaps, all things considered, I'm better off buying from a 2nd hand dealer. Though I guess that also doesn't give me much certainty that I'm not buying a lemon.

Final questions:

- Should I buy Petrol or Diesel if getting a big car like a Patrol?

- Should I buy off an European expat, an Emirate, or an Indian? I'm guessing the British expat is less likely to have scrimped on servicing and less likely to have thrashed it to death?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That would be my worry. I've never owned this type of car so I wouldn't know what to look for. I'll have to find a trustworthy guy to check it over. Where would I find one though? I've not even moved to Abu Dhabi yet and don't know anyone in the region.

Perhaps, all things considered, I'm better off buying from a 2nd hand dealer. Though I guess that also doesn't give me much certainty that I'm not buying a lemon.

Final questions:

- Should I buy Petrol or Diesel if getting a big car like a Patrol?

- Should I buy off an European expat, an Emirate, or an Indian? I'm guessing the British expat is less likely to have scrimped on servicing and less likely to have thrashed it to death?

Thanks!
Largely, although I'm not so sure about a Brit not having thrashed it within an inch of its life. I strongly advise against buying a second-hand, black R36 first registered in 2009.

Diesel? Are you serious?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol only and call these guys, to check it out - or they may have something that they guarantee. The guy who runs them is a Brit, been here for donkeys years and is very trustworthy in all things carwise.

Saluki Motorsport

Ask for Mark, he may have just the truck for you.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Petrol only and call these guys, to check it out - or they may have something that they guarantee. The guy who runs them is a Brit, been here for donkeys years and is very trustworthy in all things carwise.

Saluki Motorsport

Ask for Mark, he may have just the truck for you.
Many thanks! Very helpful to have a contact. I'm going to be in Abu Dhabi though and they're Dubai
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Many thanks! Very helpful to have a contact. I'm going to be in Abu Dhabi though and they're Dubai
An hour apart, and there's bugger-all choice in AD.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
An hour apart, and there's bugger-all choice in AD.
What he said ^^^^^
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Volvo XC90, 4+L v8 (smaller engines aren't powerful enough for this tank)
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Any problems buying a car in Dubai and taking it to Abu Dhabi? Do I need to do any paperwork for that, or is it all the same?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Any problems buying a car in Dubai and taking it to Abu Dhabi? Do I need to do any paperwork for that, or is it all the same?
Pay a company 300Dhs to get it all done on your behalf.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Use to be very easy - now, it's a nightmare to be honest. But I'm sure there is a man you can pay to do it all for you.

I wouldn't bother importing-exporting between emirates unless it's a great car or a bargin.

Seeing as you're in the 3 year old Pajero bracket, you can get them anywhere and they are all as generic as each other.

Also, easy to spot if a Pajero has been offroaded - the rear bumper will be hanging off (or at least loose).
Old Nov 30th 2016, 11:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Volvo XC90, 4+L v8 (smaller engines aren't powerful enough for this tank)
Oh god. I don't ever want to hear XC90 again.

Ended up binning hers for pennies. Hatefully expensive to look after at Volvo and other garages didn't want them because they sat there for ages waiting for parts.

Lovely car, powerful and quick but looking after an older one was terrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.