Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What about the wife and kids working?

What about the wife and kids working?

Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

guitarjo64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about the wife and kids working?

Hi, I am considering applying for a job in UAE and I am having difficulty in finding information on what may be on offer for the rest of my family whilst i work. My wife would wish to work part time and my kids are 18 (boy) and 19(girl) so they should also try and get work. Is the UAE similar to the UK for jobs for younger people and females? They do not have academic qualifications nor do they have a trade. In the UK they would be suited to and happy with shop assistant type work, cleaning or bar work. Something that does not require a trade. I was rather hopeful that my boy at his age may get on some sort of apprenticeship out there. I am obviously worried about the language barrier, unless there are english speaking communities where they could find work? Is there anyone who can offer advice or should i just forget about the whole idea of the rest of my family working, even if it is only part time? Long winded but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What about the wife and kids working?

About the legal issues, I am not absolutely sure, but I believe (unless it has changed) you can sponsor unmarried daughters, but cannot sponsor your son, as he is 18. You should have no problem to sponsor your wife for a residence visa (provided you earn over 10.000Dhs a month), technically on just the residence she is not allowed to work, although if she does find a part-time job its just a formality to apply for a work visa. (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me on this).

The only way you can get your son here is if he either enrolls in an UAE college/university or will find a job here. Of course he could keep doing visa runs every month, but that will get pretty inconvenient in the long run.

Keep in mind that all the "traditional trades" are being done by labourers from third world countries who work for peanuts, same goes for most shop assistants and the likes. Expect salaries of 2000Dhs. max for 10hrs a day/6days a week.

Where it comes down to: unskilled labour = third world staff = cheap labour. Companies don't care if you do a better job, the cheaper the better for them.

So, tell them they'll be earning 300quid a month while working 60hrs a week and you can line the schools up for them
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and, there is no language barrier as almost everybody in (or at the backside of) Dubai speaks English, all samesame but different!

But sometimes if my head is paining I need to close the light.

Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Companies can only sponsor western expats if they have professional degrees. Almost everyone has to submit certified copies of their diplomas and achievements from universities back home.

I'm sure there are ways around this (if you have extensive experience in your skilled industry but no university degrees, they make an exception). But if your kids aren't attending university, don't have university degrees or any particularly relevant skills, then it's going to be damned hard for them to come out to Dubai permanently.

That said, I have seen young western expats working in certain bars around Dubai, so it may be a bit different in the hotel industry (but this is not the norm).

Originally Posted by guitarjo64
Hi, I am considering applying for a job in UAE and I am having difficulty in finding information on what may be on offer for the rest of my family whilst i work. My wife would wish to work part time and my kids are 18 (boy) and 19(girl) so they should also try and get work. Is the UAE similar to the UK for jobs for younger people and females? They do not have academic qualifications nor do they have a trade. In the UK they would be suited to and happy with shop assistant type work, cleaning or bar work. Something that does not require a trade. I was rather hopeful that my boy at his age may get on some sort of apprenticeship out there. I am obviously worried about the language barrier, unless there are english speaking communities where they could find work? Is there anyone who can offer advice or should i just forget about the whole idea of the rest of my family working, even if it is only part time? Long winded but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

We are looking for a job for our 16yo son in catering, there is nothing suitable available through the agencies, although I have one or two contacts in the trade I may be able to call on for a favour - but the pay will be very low, much what the previous poster said. I may have to go back to the UK in the next few weeks for a month or so, so I will wait until after I come back, which is also after Ramadan is over, and work on those then. We are fully expecting to have to send him back to the UK after his 18th birthday, or alternatively set up a company in a freezone which will allow us to employ him and give him his own residence permit.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:54 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
We are looking for a job for our 16yo son in catering, there is nothing suitable available through the agencies, although I have one or two contacts in the trade I may be able to call on for a favour - but the pay will be very low, much what the previous poster said. I may have to go back to the UK in the next few weeks for a month or so, so I will wait until after I come back, which is also after Ramadan is over, and work on those then. We are fully expecting to have to send him back to the UK after his 18th birthday, or alternatively set up a company in a freezone which will allow us to employ him and give him his own residence permit.
16? I thought it was illegal to work under the age of 18 here?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
16? I thought it was illegal to work under the age of 18 here?
Minimum legal age for employment is 15, but for all juveniles permission is required from their parent/guardian. In addition there are various other restrictions.

-
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Meow
can you point me in the direction of a website/government department who can keep me right on this?
thanks
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Companies can only sponsor western expats if they have professional degrees. Almost everyone has to submit certified copies of their diplomas and achievements from universities back home.

I'm sure there are ways around this (if you have extensive experience in your skilled industry but no university degrees, they make an exception). But if your kids aren't attending university, don't have university degrees or any particularly relevant skills, then it's going to be damned hard for them to come out to Dubai permanently.

That said, I have seen young western expats working in certain bars around Dubai, so it may be a bit different in the hotel industry (but this is not the norm).

Incorrect. Pretty much anyone can get a work visa here, providing you or your company are willing to pay the charges.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've never been asked for any degree whatsoever! For both my previous and my new job not (yet anyway).

Granted, it aren't top management positions, but still..
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Meow
can you point me in the direction of a website/government department who can keep me right on this?
thanks
You can obtain more details from the Ministry of Labour.

-
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Meow
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:10 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, great idea, if you can get mine a job too, all the better!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Euc-
I've never been asked for any degree whatsoever! For both my previous and my new job not (yet anyway).

Granted, it aren't top management positions, but still..
It would not make a difference. I have a sort of management position and I have never been asked even a photocopy of my diplomas. If I have known that, I would had wrote a few other D Phils in my CV.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Euc-
But sometimes if my head is paining I need to close the light.

Funniest thing I've seen in days. Probably because it took me a minute to figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.