British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Western compound Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/western-compound-riyadh-586008/)

may11 Jan 21st 2009 11:32 am

Western compound Riyadh

is there a compound called 'the Western compound' in Riyadh? if so whats it like does anyone know?

Nic1 Jan 21st 2009 11:46 am

Re: Western compound Riyadh

Not heard of it - but someone else may be able to help. There are many 'western compounds' here tho . . .

N

lionheart Jan 21st 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by may11 (Post 7195686)
is there a compound called 'the Western compound' in Riyadh? if so whats it like does anyone know?

Is this a wind-up?

may11 Jan 21st 2009 11:54 am

no why would it be. My husband Colleague told him he's moving to the western compound, maybe he meant its a western compound.

still.unsure Jan 21st 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by may11 (Post 7195748)
no why would it be. My husband Colleague told him he's moving to the western compound, maybe he meant its a western compound.

sounds like a case of 'lost in translation'... the chap may have said 'western compound' to differentiate it from the majority of compounds that don't discriminate. some compounds here prefer only 'westerner's and don't accept applications from people elsewhere in the middle east (Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, etc.). (one of the things about the magic kingdom, not all non-saudis are created equal! :eek: )

Shadya Jan 21st 2009 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by may11 (Post 7195748)

Sounds like your hubby was having the piss taken out of him. Like starting at a new office and being asked to find "the file".:D

zayn Jan 21st 2009 3:52 pm

A substance consisting of two or more different elements bonded together in a fixed mass ratio that can be split into simpler substances.

The Dean Jan 21st 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7195933)
Sounds like your hubby was having the piss taken out of him. Like starting at a new office and being asked to find "the file".:D

Tell me about it..............

I was once asked to go to the stationery cupboard to fetch a 'verbal agreement form'..............

Dutifully trotted off to do it, of course.............. it dawned on me after about two minutes but that was long enough...............

rdan0209 Jan 21st 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7196821)
Tell me about it..............

I was once asked to go to the stationery cupboard to fetch a 'verbal agreement form'..............

Dutifully trotted off to do it, of course.............. it dawned on me after about two minutes but that was long enough...............

Can't top the request to greenhorns to go to a senior and ask him for a "long weight",,,10 minutes of no reply and after asking again the reply is "You can go now-you have waited long enough!" LMAO

Noelmc69 Jan 21st 2009 11:56 pm

Can you go to the store and get me a bag of sky hooks, and a tin of striped paint

still.unsure Jan 22nd 2009 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Noelmc69 (Post 7198413)
Can you go to the store and get me a bag of sky hooks, and a tin of striped paint

and a left-handed screw driver