Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

We can't decide. Please Help!!

We can't decide. Please Help!!

Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

tinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nice
Default We can't decide. Please Help!!

My husband recently secured himself a job in Abu Dhabi (no contract signed yet and no confirmed start date). Today we received a call from a contact in the UK asking him if he would like to be put forward for a position based in Docklands but on a 3 month contract. I know, he hasn't got the job yet but if he is successful he'll have to turn down the one in AD

We accepted the one in Abu Dhabi as we weren't getting any leads elsewhere but we're not keen on moving or commuting there.

The one in the UK is only 3 months (with possible extension until the end of the year) but my husband was hoping to go the freelance route anyway after being made redundant and building up the network in freelance in the UK would be fantastic.

Also, does anyone know where we stand with tax we've earned whilst living here? We've been here since Jul 07
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We can't decide. Please Help!!

Originally Posted by tinkerbelle
My husband recently secured himself a job in Abu Dhabi (no contract signed yet and no confirmed start date). Today we received a call from a contact in the UK asking him if he would like to be put forward for a position based in Docklands but on a 3 month contract. I know, he hasn't got the job yet but if he is successful he'll have to turn down the one in AD

We accepted the one in Abu Dhabi as we weren't getting any leads elsewhere but we're not keen on moving or commuting there.

The one in the UK is only 3 months (with possible extension until the end of the year) but my husband was hoping to go the freelance route anyway after being made redundant and building up the network in freelance in the UK would be fantastic.

Also, does anyone know where we stand with tax we've earned whilst living here? We've been here since Jul 07
No idea about the tax issue but I would definitely accept the Docklands position if it might lead to more freelance work.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

You should be OK as you have been out of the UK for a complete tax year April 08 to April 09 but you will probably have a split year for 07 and this year if you return.
I am no expert but there are peeps on here who are better qualified to give you an accurate answer.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

tinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nicetinkerbelle is just really nice

Thanks for the responses.

It's quite difficult to decide between job security or for my husband to potentially get into something he's wanted to do. Well he's been put forward now so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. I guess you've got to take risks!!

We thought we'd probably need to pay tax for Apr and May 09, but now I'm worried about the split year thing. Can anyone else help us on the tax side?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:07 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I have responded to your PM.

-