Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Watched "Syriana" tonight

Watched "Syriana" tonight

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watched "Syriana" tonight

An excellent film, it must be said, but I spent most of it trying to recognise places in Dubai.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:09 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of
Default Re: Watched "Syriana" tonight

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
An excellent film, it must be said, but I spent most of it trying to recognise places in Dubai.
And did you recognise that it is the story of Dubai? (And Abu Dhabi, from what I've heard).
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
And did you recognise that it is the story of Dubai? (And Abu Dhabi, from what I've heard).
Chelsea Clinton was kidnapped and sent to Dubai???
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:50 am
W10

She is buried underneath Chelsea Towers

Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
there isn't that much that was filmed here, mainly the bit at the end if I remember rightly. I didn't understand half of it anyway!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:23 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
Were there really two feuding brothers?

That movie was one of the few that really got to me.... left me thinking for weeks afterwards.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:26 am
W10

Let's just say that Shaikh Mohammad isn't the oldest brother, and there was a lot of eye-brow raising and behind the scenes action when he was named crown prince all those years ago.

And up until 10 years ago, there were regular coup attempts. A long termer friend of mine remembers the days when tanks used to roll up SZR and up to the Sharjah border because someone kept trying to depose Al Qassimi.

Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Let's just say that Shaikh Mohammad isn't the oldest brother, and there was a lot of eye-brow raising and behind the scenes action when he was named crown prince all those years ago.

And up until 10 years ago, there were regular coup attempts. A long termer friend of mine remembers the days when tanks used to roll up SZR and up to the Sharjah border because someone kept trying to depose Al Qassimi.
you never hear much about what REALLY went on years ago.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:56 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you never hear much about what REALLY went on years ago.
You do, just not in the standard Irish pub/nailbar/spa/wtf.
Internet is full of references, some are pretty explicit, even.

No, it's not about sheik Moh, by the way. Or, better, I was talking of past generations. Anybody went to pay a visit to sheik Saeed's house in Shindagha?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

From what I remeber;
The start in the oil refinery was filmed in the refinery at Jebel Ali
The fancy hotel is Al Qasar
A couple of scenes were shot from near Nad Al Sheba with SZRas a backdrop
The desert shots at the end were filmed here, a lot of the final chase scenes were cut from the cinema release but all the drivers of the 4x4s were dubai residents and members of one of the 4x4 clubs.

Also the story could be about any of the gulf states not just the UAE, as for the old days, well, I remember tanks rolling through Abu Dhabi and us taking cover as our building was shot up during a very short attempted coup. ( you WONT find that in the news)! Mind you at the time the country was only a few years old and Sheikh Zayed had not long replaced his loony brother as ruler of Abu Dhabi.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:00 am
W10

I haven't been there for ages...must pay a visit again sometime soon.

Would also recommend people read the trucial states book

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:03 am
W10

Originally Posted by shiva
From what I remeber;
The start in the oil refinery was filmed in the refinery at Jebel Ali
The fancy hotel is Al Qasar
A couple of scenes were shot from near Nad Al Sheba with SZRas a backdrop
The desert shots at the end were filmed here, a lot of the final chase scenes were cut from the cinema release but all the drivers of the 4x4s were dubai residents and members of one of the 4x4 clubs.

Also the story could be about any of the gulf states not just the UAE, as for the old days, well, I remember tanks rolling through Abu Dhabi and us taking cover as our building was shot up during a very short attempted coup. ( you WONT find that in the news)! Mind you at the time the country was only a few years old and Sheikh Zayed had not long replaced his loony brother as ruler of Abu Dhabi.
the fancy hotel is the Shangri La, the palace in Marbella is the Royal Mirage

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Yup sorry meant mirage not al qasr, doh
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
going to have to watch it again I think! now that I know all these references.

Greco - I don't do nail bars etc, think your getting this site confused with another!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

just remembered i think theres a scene at the creek as well, at the dhow wharfage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.