Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Warning about shooting red lights in Dubai

Warning about shooting red lights in Dubai

Old May 15th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Warning about shooting red lights in Dubai

Just a quick warning - there are loads more cameras on traffic lights in Dubai now and they are enforcing the penalties if you shoot through them. A colleague's friend got a call this morning from the police station asking her to go down to just sort out a fine.

When she got there, they said they would send her to jail for a month, fine her a minimum of 5,000 dirhams and impound her car for 8 months. They would not just let her leave the police station and she got the impression she would basically be put straight in jail.

That was the last I heard, which was this morning, as she called my colleague to get some help and I don't know what has happened since then.

She went through a legitimate U turn but through the light when it was red, she was behind a large lorry so she could not see the overhead light til it was too late but they did not accept this as they said the lights have the little ones at eye level so she has no excuse.

I have no idea if this will get enforced as she has been told but just watch out for those lights and I think it would be wise to just avoind illegal U turns, going through red lights, speeding, etc. It certainly can't hurt!
Old May 15th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning about shooting red lights in Dubai

one of the plus points of driving in Saudi compared to UAE...you are positively encouraged to go through red lights (for right hand turns)
Old May 16th 2011, 5:30 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
Just a quick warning - there are loads more cameras on traffic lights in Dubai now and they are enforcing the penalties if you shoot through them. A colleague's friend got a call this morning from the police station asking her to go down to just sort out a fine.

When she got there, they said they would send her to jail for a month, fine her a minimum of 5,000 dirhams and impound her car for 8 months. They would not just let her leave the police station and she got the impression she would basically be put straight in jail.

That was the last I heard, which was this morning, as she called my colleague to get some help and I don't know what has happened since then.

She went through a legitimate U turn but through the light when it was red, she was behind a large lorry so she could not see the overhead light til it was too late but they did not accept this as they said the lights have the little ones at eye level so she has no excuse.

I have no idea if this will get enforced as she has been told but just watch out for those lights and I think it would be wise to just avoind illegal U turns, going through red lights, speeding, etc. It certainly can't hurt!
surely the punishment you mention does not fit the crime...not that i think this is usually the case in the gulf..

the right turns on red in saudi is a funny one as i'm sure it is isn't strictly legal even though everyone does it. anyone with experience of how saher impacts on it or is that not implemented for red lights yet?
Old May 16th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
anyone with experience of how saher impacts on it or is that not implemented for red lights yet?
everyone still jumps when turning right even the junctions with the cameras.

love the guy who fires up the right turn lane and then positions his car on the diagonal in front of the cars waiting to go straight and then invarably turns left or u-turns
Old May 16th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Does seem a bit harsh....
Old May 16th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Unless there is a sign to say otherwise "Right on Red" is legal in Saudi, as it is in many other countries including most of the USA . But in Saudi it is the only traffic rule that is obeyed.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

It starts with a u-turn, then eventually mass murder.
Nip it in the bud, I say!

Originally Posted by norsk
surely the punishment you mention does not fit the crime...
Old May 17th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant spoiler BurpusMe!
Old May 17th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Unless there is a sign to say otherwise "Right on Red" is legal in Saudi, as it is in many other countries including most of the USA . But in Saudi it is the only traffic rule that is obeyed.
In most of Brasil, you only need to slow down for red lights at night and can go straight through, left or right if safe to do it (due to the amount of car-jackings!).
Old May 17th 2011, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Stealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura aboutStealth Otter has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=norsk;9366634]surely the punishment you mention does not fit the crime...not that i think this is usually the case in the gulf..

the right turns on red in saudi is a funny one as i'm sure it is isn't strictly legal even though everyone does it. anyone with experience of how saher impacts on it or is that not implemented for red lights yet?[/QUOTE

Right turn on red is legal in Saudi but you have to stop first and then turn right...as part of Saher they've started putting up signs saying you have to do that - I have never seen anybody actually do that though!!
Saher is putting in red light cameras - there's already a couple on Olaya and Takhasussi..they've made a huge difference to people's driving. If you make a right turn on red you won't get an offence...if you shoot down the right hand lane and then cut across diagonally you will get an offence.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Any update?
Old May 18th 2011, 6:42 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stealth Otter
Right turn on red is legal in Saudi but you have to stop first and then turn right...as part of Saher they've started putting up signs saying you have to do that - I have never seen anybody actually do that though!!
Saher is putting in red light cameras - there's already a couple on Olaya and Takhasussi..they've made a huge difference to people's driving. If you make a right turn on red you won't get an offence...if you shoot down the right hand lane and then cut across diagonally you will get an offence.
okay. good to know.

i asked some of the arabs in the office when i first arrived in saudi and they initially implied that stopping on all red lights was optional (what did i expect?), but then one of them actually checked a government website and told me that turning right on red wasn't actually explicitly mentioned.

using normal legal logic (western of course) this would mean that the same rule applies to right turns as other turns (straight or left) i.e. they are not allowed. perhaps they have changed the law since then...
Old May 18th 2011, 1:50 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I might question the punishment fitting the crime no one except the police and other emergency services has any business running a red light.

No one should be speeding, turning illegally either!

N.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Whilst I might question the punishment fitting the crime no one except the police and other emergency services has any business running a red light.

No one should be speeding, turning illegally either!

N.
You're not serious that nobody should be speeding, are you?
Old May 18th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Where else can you "shoot" if not in a red light district - or have i skimmed too quickly again !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.