Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

wanted pictures anectdotes of life in Al khobar, Saudi Arabia 1983-1989

wanted pictures anectdotes of life in Al khobar, Saudi Arabia 1983-1989

Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

baggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant future
Default wanted pictures anectdotes of life in Al khobar, Saudi Arabia 1983-1989

Would love to see pictures and see life of those westerners who lived and worked in Al Khobar in Saudi Arabia during 1983-1989.
Although we all lived and worked in different fields of business, many of us all met up at some point in the various parties on the different compounds,American Airbase drinking clubs etc.
Fridays at Al Khobar Gardens at our place always did English breckie.
Must be some out there that remember me,parties,life etc.
I am now very happily married living in Lyme Regis but have no pictures etc of a happy mad life from out in Saudi.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanted pictures anectdotes of life in Al khobar, Saudi Arabia 1983-1989

From close to 30 years ago? I'd say your best bet is nursing home forums and grave yards

bump
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:02 am
Just Joined

baggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant futurebaggysallyjane has a brilliant future
Default Re: wanted pictures anectdotes of life in Al khobar, Saudi Arabia 1983-1989

Gosh, thats a bit harsh.
I am in my early 50's and still a bit of a party animal.
Most people from the era I was out there that I knew would be in the age group of 42-65; and no where near a nursing home, unless as Dr's working there or in a church begging forgiveness from the wild parities and life we led in the 80's in Saudi. We had way more fun than you guys now. And I really know!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I was just bumping your thread to be honest as it seemed to be dying unanswered....
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Hiya, Oh thats ok.
Your right, it does seem to have died a death.
Perhaps anyone out there that is on this website,from way back then, probably would rather forget what really went on then, especially as a lot of the guys were out there without their wives or loved ones, left back at home. I suppose they never let on what went on and who with !!!!!!!
The expats kept themselves very much to their own, very few mixed with the Saudis or other nationalities apart from there own.
It even came down to many Brits that would not even mix with the guys from the USA.
I, myself had a whale of a time, and work got in the way of party time,wherever and with whoever.
Many of the compounds did different things to keep one amused and there was always the Guts or Oasis club on the airbase to drink oneself silly.To name but a few.
It was always suggested that I should have written a book about my life out there. It sure would have sold a few, but I was always aware that the lifestyle I led, may have caused a few problems with the govt as well as expats there then and after my life there, if it had been written.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggysallyjane
Hiya, Oh thats ok.
Perhaps anyone out there that is on this website,from way back then, probably would rather forget what really went on then, especially as a lot of the guys were out there without their wives or loved ones, left back at home. I suppose they never let on what went on and who with !!!!!!!
The expats kept themselves very much to their own, very few mixed with the Saudis or other nationalities apart from there own.
It even came down to many Brits that would not even mix with the guys from the USA.
I, myself had a whale of a time, and work got in the way of party time,wherever and with whoever.
Many of the compounds did different things to keep one amused and there was always the Guts or Oasis club on the airbase to drink oneself silly.To name but a few.
It was always suggested that I should have written a book about my life out there. It sure would have sold a few, but I was always aware that the lifestyle I led, may have caused a few problems with the govt as well as expats there then and after my life there, if it had been written.
When you were putting the car keys in a bowl how did you work out who they belonged to when everyone in the room had a Toyota Landcruiser?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, Oh thats ok.
With an open mind like that, if you were 10 years younger I'd be PMing you like crazy.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Lyme Regis was where you went when it was time to die. Gods waiting room
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Most the old foggies would not make it up or down the hills on their zimmer frames.
Apart from some of the oldies, life is still pretty busy here, loads of decent places to eat n drink, a thriving theatre,cinema,loads of live music, U3A,beach etc.What more do you need
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:57 pm
Knee deep and rising

Most the old foggies would not make it up or down the hills on their zimmer frames.
Apart from some of the oldies, life is still pretty busy here, loads of decent places to eat n drink, a thriving theatre,cinema,loads of live music, U3A,beach etc.What more do you need
well to answer your question you seem to need to re-live your life. but if you are trying to find people from back then why not try the saudi aramco forums see if you have any luck, I am assuming you hung out/ met/ got shagged by tons of their employees
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I thought Lyme Regis was where you went when it was time to die. Gods waiting room
Thats Worthing - even 10 mins in there feels like limbo !
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to disolusion you,but I found Aramco and its contents all pretty stupid. All a bunch of self important pxxxxs of a minute size matching their brains but so not their egos.They all lived in the land of lala and had no idea what went on outside their grand compound, especially up in gold hill.
The golf course was pretty good tho.The thought of intimate relations with anyone from there left me cold.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disolusion you,but I found Aramco and its contents all pretty stupid. All a bunch of self important pxxxxs of a minute size matching their brains but so not their egos.They all lived in the land of lala and had no idea what went on outside their grand compound, especially up in gold hill.
The golf course was pretty good tho.The thought of intimate relations with anyone from there left me cold.
Forgive my ignorance, but if you weren't there for Aramco, what were all you expats doing in the Eastern Province?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:24 am
Just Joined

I was at King Abdulaziz airbase hospital, but loads were from other hospitals, construction companies, teaching, BAE Gosh loads of small and large companies and busineses not related to the 'all important Aramco'.
Yep it sounds as though I have downer on Aramco, pretty true really. Just found them to overpowering and full of self importance believing they were better than the rest of us all as we did not live in their enclave.
Life outside of ARAMCO was infinitely better and most of us more integrated within the community.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I was at King Abdulaziz airbase hospital, but loads were from other hospitals, construction companies, teaching, BAE Gosh loads of small and large companies and busineses not related to the 'all important Aramco'.
Yep it sounds as though I have downer on Aramco, pretty true really. Just found them to overpowering and full of self importance believing they were better than the rest of us all as we did not live in their enclave.
Life outside of ARAMCO was infinitely better and most of us more integrated within the community.
When I worked at Safeway I always felt the same about those ponces working down the road at Waitrose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.