A wages question

Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: A wages question

Originally Posted by highways
Talking about the civil engineering industry, I noticed from searching bbt global website that salaries in UAE for senior engineers and managers range between 40-50 AED. Only few positions (maybe for directors) go up to 60-70 AED. Any further thoughts on this?
Yes, that's about right.

I think there is a distinction to be drawn between salaries in 'traditional' expat industries, and those in the 'new' expat occupations which you get as places become more developed. In less developed parts of the world (and the Gulf for that matter), the 'new' expat jobs are not there, so those in 'traditional' expat industries can get more for their money, as competition from these high salary earners is not there.

Many Engineers travel overseas from the UK because the salaries on offer in the UK are poor compared with other professions. However, with the development of the 'new' expat occupations, Dubai is now becoming similar to the UK in this respect.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is thank f..k I don't have kids, car payments, high rent, etc otherwise I'd be sc.rewed based on what i've seen in this thread.

Just had a quick squizz at bbt site and doesn't seem I could earn much more than I already do (which is not a great amount).

Am saving and enjoying....but you do have to be careful and aware of your expenditure here......it can slip out of your wallet easily.

Seems to me Dubai is a place for singles, young couples........many familys are simply getting priced out.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:57 am
Just Joined

LeHunna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by highways
LeHunna,

Can you please advise on what kind of people are getting salaries in this range (what age or position and what industry)?

Thanks
My frame of reference is almost exclusively within banking / asset management but the age range is quite wide - it more depends on the quality of experience. I know a 32 year old who earns circa 65k and 45 year old earning just shy of 50k. Both individuals manage departments within financial institutions.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was offered a position which everything was paid for by the company. After housing, utilities school fees etc were taken care of by them, my monthly salary was 19000Dhs plus 1300 Dhs transport allowance. We are a family of 4, two small children. Was I right to turn this down?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jetfixer
I was offered a position which everything was paid for by the company. After housing, utilities school fees etc were taken care of by them, my monthly salary was 19000Dhs plus 1300 Dhs transport allowance. We are a family of 4, two small children. Was I right to turn this down?
is basically spending and saving money...

Its not bad. Some people will scoff, but its certainly enough to have a good life..
if you fix jets thou, you should get more, no?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you were wrong, but it's your decision at the end of the day
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

I agree with BC but as she said its your call, depends on your financial circumstances back at home ie would you still need to send money back for mortgae etc
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Live for now
I agree with BC but as she said its your call, depends on your financial circumstances back at home ie would you still need to send money back for mortgae etc
that is nearly 3000 quid! if you can't manage on that then there is something wrong
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should have asked if you were wrong before you turned it down?

Easiest way to work it out is to see how much disposable income you have in the UK after deducting all the stuff your benevolent employer was paying for here (mortgage, utilities, schools etc) and see if it is more or less than 20,300 Dhs. If you have more left over in the UK then it is probably better to stay, depending on how much value you place on sunshine.

That kind of package is now quite rare in Dubai, unfortunately.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like I may have made the wrong decision. I based what I wanted in Dubai on my wage in the UK which on average is 24000 Dhs month before tax (£40k). The housing allowance was 180k or company apartment, which put me off a bit as 180k seems to be at the bottom end of the market for anything with 4 bedrooms and would have to supplement a better property with my own wage.

I was told through a friend of a friend that I would spend almost 16k/mth of my salary on living in Dubai, which would have left me with 3K Dhs.

We do have a mortgage but I was hoping to rent the house out.

The reason I am asking is that the offer has opened up again. I really wanted to come but the company was not willing to stump up 24000Dhs.

Judging by the way this thread started the package I was offered was a little on the low side.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:19 pm
Concierge

you wouldn't spend 16k a month living here, some friend he is ! that is rubbish!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:23 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like I may have made the wrong decision. I based what I wanted in Dubai on my wage in the UK which on average is 24000 Dhs month before tax (£40k). The housing allowance was 180k or company apartment, which put me off a bit as 180k seems to be at the bottom end of the market for anything with 4 bedrooms and would have to supplement a better property with my own wage.

I was told through a friend of a friend that I would spend almost 16k/mth of my salary on living in Dubai, which would have left me with 3K Dhs.

The reason I am asking is that the offer has opened up again. I really wanted to come but the company was not willing to stump up 24000Dhs.

Judging by the way this thread started the package I was offered was a little on the low side.
So, run us through this again...

Housing allowance: 180,000
Monthly salary?
Domestic bills paid?
Transport allowance?
Telecoms allowance?
Domestic bills paid?
School fees?
Medical?
Flights home?

Sorry, no time to read all thread, but how many kids do you have? Ages? Gender(s)?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:07 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
So, run us through this again...

Housing allowance: 180,000
Monthly salary?
Domestic bills paid?
Transport allowance?
Telecoms allowance?
Domestic bills paid?
School fees?
Medical?
Flights home?

Sorry, no time to read all thread, but how many kids do you have? Ages? Gender(s)?
gender....why would that matter...
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:17 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
gender....why would that matter...
Just thinking creatively. If they were the same gender (which I now know they aren't) and younger, then they could share a bedroom, then they would (probably) only need 3 bedrooms, which brings the rental down a bit.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

That was what we were looking at based on UK salary.

Are you saying 24000dhs for a month after all expenses?

It all rather confusing (or is it me)

Kath

Last edited by Kath & Graham; Jun 4th 2008 at 3:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.