Reload this Page >

Volunteer/Work experience

Volunteer/Work experience

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Rasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteer/Work experience

Hello all, hope your doing well.

I currently live in America, I am a student studying architecture. I am planning to go to UAE this summer and thought why not volunteer at an architect firm in UAE while I am there. If anyone knows an architect firm that will accept volunteers please let me know. I am not looking to be paid, but I am looking to educate myself about architecture around the world.

Thanks in advance

Rasha
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer/Work experience

Hi Rasha,
I agree that it would be a great idea to be able to gain experience etc BUT I don't think it is possible over here. You need to have a works visa in order to be able to work anywhere.
I would suggest contacting a few companies, explaining what you want to do and maybe they can get you a visa. There are a couple of different types of visa out there and some only last a few months.
Good Luck
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:29 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My only concern is a climatic one. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to visit the UAE in the summer? 45degC and 95% humidity...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My only concern is a climatic one. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to visit the UAE in the summer? 45degC and 95% humidity...
LOL, Maybe they like the heat and the constant sticky, sweaty feeling!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:54 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
he's a young architect - since when do they leave their desks?!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
he's a young architect - since when do they leave their desks?!
When they want to get all hot and sticky!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:16 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79
When they want to get all hot and sticky!
nah, they get hot and sticky at their desks... "ooo, a fully-rendered 3D fly-around by tommorow morning? Sure... no problem!"
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
nah, they get hot and sticky at their desks... "ooo, a fully-rendered 3D fly-around by tommorow morning? Sure... no problem!"
ROFL! It sounds like you have previous experience of this
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:51 am
ex-expat

ROFL! It sounds like you have previous experience of this
er, yeah. I am a fully-fledged member of Architects Anonymous, although I've currently opted for full-time motherhood as a less demanding career move. Shorter hours and a client that shows appreciation. I did get puked on this morning though... some things will never change.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Rasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rasha,
I agree that it would be a great idea to be able to gain experience etc BUT I don't think it is possible over here. You need to have a works visa in order to be able to work anywhere.
I would suggest contacting a few companies, explaining what you want to do and maybe they can get you a visa. There are a couple of different types of visa out there and some only last a few months.
Good Luck
Thank you Chris79 for the reply. I actually did get accepted with this one company and they didnt even mention any visa maybe because it was just volunteer? Anyway that company closed down (just my luck). I will try and contact some companies, hopefully it works out. Also I am only staying there for a month.

Thanks once again

as for the weather I live in michigan (usa) and its FREEZING over here, dont mind some hot weather for a month.

(Iam a she not a he)