Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visiting Dubia / where to buy Dirham

Visiting Dubia / where to buy Dirham

Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Visiting Dubia / where to buy Dirham

We are going to Dubia for our hols. this year.
Probable been asked before but is it better to get our currency in the UK or wait until we get there ?

Regards

Chris
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:49 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Dubia / where to buy Dirham

where is this Dubia i here so much about....

get it in the UK..
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrismortley
We are going to Dubia for our hols. this year.
Probable been asked before but is it better to get our currency in the UK or wait until we get there ?

Regards

Chris
Why would anyone in their right mind want to go to Dubai for their hols...unless visiting friends or family already here?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by commander
where is this Dubia i here so much about....

get it in the UK..
Sorry about that,not my strong point spelling but 5 letters is bad even by my standard

So you think UK ?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why would anyone in their right mind want to go to Dubai for their hols...unless visiting friends or family already here?
Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning did we ?

The reason for going to Dubai is I have been very fortunate to visit via work quite a few places but not the Middle East.
Mabe you have a better suggestion ?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

The reason for going to Dubai is I have been very fortunate to visit via work quite a few places but not the Middle East.
loads of people come to dubai on holiday and have a fab time, don't worry...there are all the usual cashpoints etc, so you can easily get cash out when you are here...exchange rate is shocking at the mo though...

MM, xx
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:18 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

The list of preferred alternatives would be endless. It's simply that the beaches are presently a mess (pollution gone mad) which basically leaves shopping as the only feasible pastime...unless you can afford to play golf. The consolation is that the weather is quite pleasant right now, unlike between May-October when the heat and humidity are unbearable. Was reading about a radio DJ here who died of skin cancer recently. But don't worry coz the ladies of leisure on this site will tell you how wonderful Dubai happens to be. You pays your money and takes your choice. Have a nice time when you come
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

jiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would advise you to get dirhams from post office in UK. It is commission-free and they will buy back at the same rate any you have left. If you use cash points here in UAE you will be adding 2-3% in foreign currency transaction charges. Same goes for using UK credit cards here.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

The list of preferred alternatives would be endless. It's simply that the beaches are presently a mess (pollution gone mad) which basically leaves shopping as the only feasible pastime...unless you can afford to play golf. The consolation is that the weather is quite pleasant right now, unlike between May-October when the heat and humidity are unbearable. Was reading about a radio DJ here who died of skin cancer recently. But don't worry coz the ladies of leisure on this site will tell you how wonderful Dubai happens to be. You pays your money and takes your choice. Have a nice time when you come
none of the ladies of leisure have commented on here as far as i can see...what are you on about...?

loads of people come here on holiday, and return year after year...it's their choice...

MM, xx
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:38 am
W10

Dubai is super expensive for people coming from the UK right now because of the exchange rate.

You'll be paying through the nose if you come out here. And shopping is way way more expensive than in the UK.

Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

incase you are interested that DJ - Victoria - celebration of life service on Saturday at 6.30pm at Mina Seyahi Hotel.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

With HSBC you need to order them in, normally 3 working days.
I popped into a Co-Op travel place and they had some in stock.

Just hit one of the High Street banks. The rate you will get wont differ to much.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Visiting Dubai / where to buy Dirham

Thanks for all the info. everyone.
I forgot to mention that this year is our 25th wedding anniversary,so I think after all this time putting up with me my better half deserves having a few quid spent on her
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:43 pm
W10

Just use the ATMs. It's much easier. There are about 10 of them in the airport.

Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

In my experience you get the best conversion rates (sterling to AED and vice versa )at the exchange centres located at the major malls. Uae exchange at mall of emirates opposite the big carefour supermarket and the exchange centre next to hsbc bank at ibn battuta mall are the ones I use regualry for my currency conversions. If you ask (very nicely!) them for their best rates, you may get slightly better rates than the advertised board rates. Generally I've always found these places to offer better rates than the UK banks and they are commission free.

However you should get a minimal amount changed in the uk to cover taxis from airoport etc....have a good holiday !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.