British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Visa requirements (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/visa-requirements-795101/)

IndigoGirl Apr 25th 2013 5:31 am

Visa requirements

Hi everyone.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to get a visa so that I can join my husband in the UAE. He was told that we need to get our marriage certificate attested however that is proving to be impossible as we were married in a country that doesn't exist anymore and as we don't have our original certificate the embassy won't accept what we have. It has been suggested that we get remarried in the UAE however this is proving impossible as well As we both need a residency visa to get married there. What was supposed to be a new chapter in our life is turning into an absolute nightmare but I am hoping someone out there may be able to give us some advice other than to read through the forum to see what has been posted previously. Time is of the essence right now and some advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Mogs Apr 25th 2013 6:12 am

Re: Visa requirements

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10677301)
Hi everyone.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to get a visa so that I can join my husband in the UAE. He was told that we need to get our marriage certificate attested however that is proving to be impossible as we were married in a country that doesn't exist anymore and as we don't have our original certificate the embassy won't accept what we have. It has been suggested that we get remarried in the UAE however this is proving impossible as well As we both need a residency visa to get married there. What was supposed to be a new chapter in our life is turning into an absolute nightmare but I am hoping someone out there may be able to give us some advice other than to read through the forum to see what has been posted previously. Time is of the essence right now and some advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Could you go to a registry office in UK and get married again ? might be the easiest/quickest way to get a valid certificate

Kix Apr 25th 2013 6:12 am

Go to Vegas and get re-married?

IndigoGirl Apr 25th 2013 6:18 am

We will do anything - but then next question if you get remarried do you have to be divorced first?

Mogs Apr 25th 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10677329)
We will do anything - but then next question if you get remarried do you have to be divorced first?

If you can't prove you're currently married, then I doubt there would be any problem getting married to the same person again.

Kix Apr 25th 2013 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10677330)
If you can't prove you're currently married, then I doubt there would be any problem getting married to the same person again.

^^^^^^^

What Mogs said.

Meow Apr 25th 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10677324)
Could you go to a registry office in UK and get married again ? might be the easiest/quickest way to get a valid certificate

Friends of mine did this and all was plain sailing afterwards. There is no need to get divorced first if you are remarrying the same person!