Visa Question

Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Question

Hi All,

Wife's been offered a role and her employer has explained that she'll enter the UAE on a visitors visa then they'll process her working permit once she's in the country, is this common practice?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Visa Question

Yup, I did this for first role.

We generally get the pre-approval sorted for people though, then it's just medical.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Ah ok - thanks for answering, that's reassuring to know it does happen. Still a bit of a risk as they're not paying her flight so she could fly out and then the contract could be revoked I suppose, hopefully that's not the case.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCoop
Ah ok - thanks for answering, that's reassuring to know it does happen. Still a bit of a risk as they're not paying her flight so she could fly out and then the contract could be revoked I suppose, hopefully that's not the case.
That would set alarm bells ringing for me mate. No reputable employer would expect a prospective employee to pay for their mobilization flight...
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brains1983
That would set alarm bells ringing for me mate. No reputable employer would expect a prospective employee to pay for their mobilization flight...
Yeah that did concern me if im being honest. I think my wife mentioned to the recruitment agent that I was already moving over and she was coming with me, and she also explained she could go on my visa if required, wondering if the recruitment company passed this to her employer and that's why they're not paying a flight. She did end up increasing her salary by 2500 AED per month when the recruitment woman pushed for it an increase due to no flight being offered - which also seems odd to me as a flight would've only cost 2000AED and paid once.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah, that's shoddy.

JCoop; What does she do?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a decent explanation, that the role was meant to be a local hire but recruiter persuaded them to review your wife's candidacy on the assumption that she'd be treated as a local hire, and the salary increase is wholly separate from the flight issue and within their salary band for the role.

Assuming it's a decent company with a decent reputation I'd still go with it but carefully review the place during the probation period. Worst case is that you just walk away from the job before end of probation. Best case is that you have a job you like very much.

Yeah that did concern me if im being honest. I think my wife mentioned to the recruitment agent that I was already moving over and she was coming with me, and she also explained she could go on my visa if required, wondering if the recruitment company passed this to her employer and that's why they're not paying a flight. She did end up increasing her salary by 2500 AED per month when the recruitment woman pushed for it an increase due to no flight being offered - which also seems odd to me as a flight would've only cost 2000AED and paid once.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It is unusual that they are not offering flight; however, if the hire is a classed as a "local hire" (which would mean no flights) that would somewhat make sense.

Why is she paying for the flight? ADEC pays for your immediate relatives to come.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

JCoop why is she going on the company visa rather than on yours? Makes life easier in future if she wants to move on/etc. Most wives work (obtaining a relevant labour card etc) whilst on their husband's visas rather then going on company sponsorship.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses folks!

Interesting point made about getting my wife on my own visa - her last job offer (that was revoked) insisted she goes on their visa, but actually never thought to ask this employer. We're still waiting on our marriage certificate being delivered so we can send it off to be legalised and attested, but may be better if I could go out to AD first, then my company can add her onto my visa when the wedding cert is attested. I'll have a look into this option !

Just had another question; if we stick with my wife being on her employers visa and doing things as they wish, then she will be entering the country as a tourist. I read online that you receive your visa upon arrival as she's a UK Citizen, but that you also need a return flight/flight out of UAE ? Obviously she wouldn't have that, so I'm wondering what we would do in this instance ?

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

She will have a 30 day stamp put in her passport on arrival, if she needs to renew this it is only a short hop to the Oman border to get another one and there is a couple of companies you can go with in a mini bus takes about 4-5 hours!
Immigration at Dubai Airport have never asked myself or anyone I know for proof of a flight out of the country, so I would not worry about that at all.

Visa Run with Go Tours

timerundubai.com/
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I read online that you receive your visa upon arrival as she's a UK Citizen, but that you also need a return flight/flight out of UAE ? Obviously she wouldn't have that, so I'm wondering what we would do in this instance ?
I'd strongly suggest booking a return rather than a one way. Have a quick google for flights from your home airport to Dubai, and then reverse the origin and destination and see the difference.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses folks!

Interesting point made about getting my wife on my own visa - her last job offer (that was revoked) insisted she goes on their visa, but actually never thought to ask this employer. We're still waiting on our marriage certificate being delivered so we can send it off to be legalised and attested, but may be better if I could go out to AD first, then my company can add her onto my visa when the wedding cert is attested. I'll have a look into this option !

Just had another question; if we stick with my wife being on her employers visa and doing things as they wish, then she will be entering the country as a tourist. I read online that you receive your visa upon arrival as she's a UK Citizen, but that you also need a return flight/flight out of UAE ? Obviously she wouldn't have that, so I'm wondering what we would do in this instance ?

Thanks

Numerous relatives come on tourist visas while their regular visas are being processed. I have also never heard of anyone being asked for a return ticket. However, Brains1983, if you have heard of that happening, can you please share?

If she comes on the employer visa she will get a "pink paper" that is effectively her entry - as you will also get (employer usually has someone waiting at the airport with this).

I must amend my earlier post. Check to see if flights for immediate relatives are paid for regardless of when they arrive, or if only when YOU arrive.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou
However, Brains1983, if you have heard of that happening, can you please share?
Never heard of it either. I was alluding to the negligible difference in price between a one way and a return and then being to book your future flights ex UK.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of it either. I was alluding to the negligible difference in price between a one way and a return and then being to book your future flights ex UK.
^ Listen to the above its decent advice