Reload this Page >

VISA: COULD SOMEONE ADVISE?

VISA: COULD SOMEONE ADVISE?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VISA: COULD SOMEONE ADVISE?

Hi guys,

my husband and 2 kids are due to come out to Dubai in a months time-my husband has been offered a job- we understand that his company will deal with the visa permits, however we have a bit of a tricky circumstance as I am Italian and he's British and we where married in Italy, therefore his employer told him that its not going to be very straight forward the process in order to get visas- is there anyone who has been in a similar situation that can advise what the issue may be?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:03 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA: COULD SOMEONE ADVISE?

Mr Kitty and I (both British) were married in France and so only have a French marriage certificate. I've just asked him if this was a problem and he "can't remember", which suggests there was no added faff.

One thing I would suggest you do is get certified copies of all your important documents while you're in the UK. Go to a notary public or solicitor to do this. They will basically make a copy and then stamp/sign it to say it is the same as the original. There will be a small fee - probably around £5 per item.

You may be asked to get the copy attested - this is another stamp/signature confirming that it is what it says it is. I *think* you may have to get such things done by someone off an approved list... suitably vague, but it's not something I've had to deal with.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:00 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Might be an idea to read this thread and the enclosed links

http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/mess...?TopicID=94301

Seems there are new rules whereby if a Brit marries another nationality if they are not entitled to UK residency they are also not entitled to UAE sponsorship by the husband!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Fairydust; Jan 30th 2010 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Get your marriage certificate translated and the translation certified in the UK, and then get both attested at the UAE embassy in the UK. Had similar troubles with mine, we were married in Samoa. There can never be too many stamps to please these people.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:25 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Might be an idea to read this thread and the enclosed links

http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/mess...?TopicID=94301

Seems there are new rules whereby if a Brit marries another nationality if they are not entitled to UK residency they are also not entitled to UAE sponsorship by the husband!!!!!!!!!!!
Sure, but nationalities within the EU are allowed to reside where ever they wish in Europe and are therefore all entitled to British residency.

I would imagine the really tricky bit would be if a "UAE-approved" nationality (you know, the ones who don't have problems doing visa runs and the like) is married to a "non-approved" nationality...
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point

HK you're right, I have the right to reside in the UK as I'm from the EU therefore I dont think there would be any problem with my husband sponsoring me.

Thanks to everyone 4 your advice, as always its very much appreciated.

Alitrist
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

An Northern Irish guy I worked with married a girl from the Republic on a Greek Island, all very romantic until they moved to AD

NI guy had to go to Athens to get the marriage certificate stamped. They would not do it in AD.

That was 2008
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:50 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure some of my friends who got married in Greece just took their greek marriage certificate to the registry office after getting it translated and they were issued a UK certificate.

Probably cost them a little bit of dosh, but I would have thought this is worth it as you can then get it legalised in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:59 pm
ex-expat

our marriage certificate is in French and we've never had to have it translated... but then again, this is Dubai, where you can get a nonchalant nod'n'wave just as easily as getting a "computer says no" face.