Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Vehicle re-registration (Abu Dhabi)

Vehicle re-registration (Abu Dhabi)

Old Sep 14th 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Zubinho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vehicle re-registration (Abu Dhabi)

My car's registration is expiring on the 17th of September and needs renewing for the first time. I've been trying to call Al Hilal for the past week to renew my car insurance but no one is picking up. If I change car insurance firms I'll need a no claims certificate from them which I can't get because I can't get through to them! My question is what happens if I turn up at the testing centre without the renewed insurance or what happens if I wait until after the 17th to re-reg the car?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Vehicle re-registration (Abu Dhabi)

Originally Posted by Zubinho
My car's registration is expiring on the 17th of September and needs renewing for the first time. I've been trying to call Al Hilal for the past week to renew my car insurance but no one is picking up. If I change car insurance firms I'll need a no claims certificate from them which I can't get because I can't get through to them! My question is what happens if I turn up at the testing centre without the renewed insurance or what happens if I wait until after the 17th to re-reg the car?
In Dubai (don't know about Abu Dhabi but probably similar) :

1)The registration centre will send you away to get your insurance renewed.

2) I think you have 2 weeks grace period to renew your registration after the expiry date
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

just choose another insurance company....get your insurance policy and head off to RTA for your car reg renewal....If you bank with HSBC, Zurich Insurance will give you a good deal.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

As already said, you cannot renew car regn in AD without the insurance. You have a month's grace before they'll fine you - that is why insurance is valid for 13 months. So you can keep trying Al Hilal for a bit longer. Don't they have an office you could visit if necessary? I wouldn't use anyone other than Axa or Zurich for my insurance - and neither are exactly expensive by UK standards (I pay less than £300 for a large 4x4 fully comp - in the UK it would be several times that price).
If the car is less than 3 years old, you don't even need to go in to the licencing office. Install the MoI app, and you can do it from your phone - as long as the insurance has been renewed first (and it can take half a day or so for the insurance renewal to register in the licencing system). They'll courier the new card and sticker to you within about 48 hours. Very easy...
Old Sep 19th 2015, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

insureme.ae

don't go direct or via hsbc.