Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

URGENT Please Help Re: St Andrews - British Institute of Learning Development

URGENT Please Help Re: St Andrews - British Institute of Learning Development

Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

viper1079 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation URGENT Please Help Re: St Andrews - British Institute of Learning Development

My wife an I are new to Dubai and our son who is autistic was due to start St Andrews College British Institute for Learning Development tomorrow. However this afternoon my wife received the following email.

Tuesday, 4th September 2012

Dear Parents

It is with the utmost regret that I have to inform you that St Andrews School will not be reopening tomorrow, Wednesday 5th September 2012 as the owner, Christopher Reynolds, has left the country and absconded with all the funds.

For any and all further information regarding the above, please contact the

MINISTRY OF SOCIAL AFFAIRS.

I have already paid the school fees up untill december and have given the school post dated cheques for the remainder of the school year, as is the norm in my experience when dealing with any business here in Dubai.

My wife and I are at a complete loss of what to do!? any help or advise that you could offer, regarding getting our money back, canceling the post dated cheques and more importantly finding another special educational needs school for our son would be most gratefully received!

As far as I was aware St Andrews British Institute for Learning Development was the only school in Dubai which was able to cater for children who require closer one to one support at school, so any advise in this area in particular would be very invaluable to us.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by viper1079; Sep 4th 2012 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT Please Help Re: St Andrews - British Institute of Learning Development

Ouch.............. Australian who 'bought' his Masters from a degree factory in the US sets up school in Dubai with 'British' in the title........

School's website quote: "The British Institute asserts that learning is implicitly a neurological function and the capacity to learn is dependent upon neurological efficiency."

Didn't the Nazis try something similar with Jewish children???

You have my sympathy - up to a point - but what on Earth was it that attracted you to such a place? Every piece of research I've done (lasting just ten minutes) has given me a decidedly uneasy feeling.......... Anyway, here he is:

http://www.british-ild.com/british-i...-reynolds.html

The cheques - which bank are they drawn on? Don't worry about cancelling the post-dated ones - they/he are never going to try and cash them.

Others on here know more about local schooling than I do, and may wish to comment accordingly.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Gudu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: URGENT Please Help Re: St Andrews - British Institute of Learning Development

I am least worried about the fee.. My kid also in same school.. This was a school of special children.. Think about 200 special children sitting in their homes this morning schoolless.. Those are the last person on earth, anyone want to cheat in this world.. Those are little angles.. Chris must me the cruel person on this face of earth... It is sad but played with future of these special children!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:05 am
Just Joined

viper1079 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our son is also at home with no school to go to and the options for children like my Sam, who is Autistic, are very limited! Sam is so upset and keeps repeating that he wants his school back. I can't belive that anyone could do this to children, least of all children with special educational needs!

My wife and I are also more concerned about where we are going to find a school which will be willing to accept Sam, rather than the fees which have been lost!

It's shameless of these people and I honestly don't know how they sleep at night knowing there are hundrens of special children who can't understand why this has been done to them! I don't even know how to start explaining to my son who's understanding is limited at the best of times!

My thoughts are with you and your family and I hope for your child, and for my son, and all the other special children out there who are unable to go to school today; that there is alternative and acceptable schooling for them.

If I am able to find any further information out regarding the school or possible alternatives then I will post.

Regards
Keith
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am very sorry to hear all of this. I hope it all works out for you.

Have you spoken to KHDA, the teachers, the landlord? They may have other alternatives, or maybe even you can try and open it independently of this tosspot?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:53 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

dear god, I'm so sorry. there are a few centres here in Muscat, but no proper school as such.

you may want to gather the parents and report the fraud to the police? if you have a local in the group of parents, all the better.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:24 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542665

http://www.meetup.com/The-Dubai-Autism-Meetup-Group/

http://www.dubaiautismcenter.ae/
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

What an utter, utter arsehole.

I can't offer any practical advice, sorry but I hope you find a working solution and soon.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Gudu is an unknown quantity at this point

We had meeting at medinat jumairah where all the parents and teacher met. It was decided to open school on Sunday and we will meet again on Sunday evening to decide the future of school. Sponsor and few locals are trying at different levels to keep the school going.. If they are successful in obtaining the funds, there is a chance for school to continue.. We also talked about K12 style of learning .. Please come to school on Sunday morning.. Also bring your receipt and passport copy which is required to lodge a police report .. Thx
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck - hopefully, without the involvement of Reynolds, the ethos of the place will improve.......
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I too don't have anything really helpful to say, but I really hope you guys find places for your children somewhere. Living in Dubai with Special Needs children must be an absolute nightmare. Good luck.

This all sounds a bit suss, Christopher Reynolds seems legit from googling him so he might just be a bit of a scapegoat for the school not being able to open due to other reasons and they don't want to repay fees.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

fjcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Feel for all the parents and kids and staff as I know quite a few of them from when we were there some years ago.Although the writing was on the wall sometime ago , it is always a shock when it actually happens are many concerned people are left in limbo.
To Kim67, CR is not a scapegoat, what has been reported in the various newspapers is totally accurate. The school had financial issues, there was never any money to pay staff or to allocate to resources, it was shocking. When we found out, we left.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
I too don't have anything really helpful to say, but I really hope you guys find places for your children somewhere. Living in Dubai with Special Needs children must be an absolute nightmare. Good luck.

This all sounds a bit suss, Christopher Reynolds seems legit from googling him so he might just be a bit of a scapegoat for the school not being able to open due to other reasons and they don't want to repay fees.
Google him again......... that graduate university jobby is, as far as I am aware, just a degree mill.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:05 am
Just Joined

fjcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who are new to Dubai....It was written last year, self advertising of course and read through the lines.

http://gulfnews.com/life-style/peopl...ation-1.800385

Last edited by fjcruiser; Sep 6th 2012 at 7:13 am.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fjcruiser
For those whoare new to Dubai....It was written last year, self advertising of course and read through the lines.

http://gulfnews.com/life-style/peopl...ation-1.800385
What an absolute load of flannel, I could hardly get past the first few lines before retching....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.