Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK General election 8th June

UK General election 8th June

Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK General election 8th June

French guy in the office is hopeful but says it will be close.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
French guy in the office is hopeful but says it will be close.
I actually nodded at the screen and thought 'fair enough' just because your source is a Frenchman.

He might be an idiot or a genius, but because he's French, I agreed.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I actually nodded at the screen and thought 'fair enough' just because your source is a Frenchman.

He might be an idiot or a genius, but because he's French, I agreed.
Exactly. That was my theory.

Apparently the polls in France are not only a predictor of the result but also a driver of the result. People tend to vote strategically based on the polls and the polls become self fulfilling.

A frechman obviously understands that better than I ever could.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Exactly. That was my theory.

Apparently the polls in France are not only a predictor of the result but also a driver of the result. People tend to vote strategically based on the polls and the polls become self fulfilling.

A frechman obviously understands that better than I ever could.
It's so stupid and backward it's totally believable as a Frenchman's theory.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:42 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I hope she doesn't win, but one of the things I found interesting about Trump was the exit polls / opinion polls / TV polls / etc.

They all predicted Hillary winning.
They were almost (i'm sure not all) totally wrong.

One guy came on and suggested that lots of groups had reasons to hide their Trump vote; middle-class white women would obviously be Clinton fans and would say so...yet vote Trump. For example.

I think she's the wrong leader for that kind of party who label themselves as more progressive and positive than total racists. She's too close to her Dad whether she likes it or not.

All of this makes me think she won't win, but when the other option is a sub-40 yr old, new to the game, married to his old teacher ........ anything can happen.

I just don't know whether to put a fiver on her for chuckles or 100 on for a proper bet at 5/1.
The polls for Clinton/Trump were not off by very much. The last few national polls had Clinton ahead by 3 to 4%; she actually won the popular vote by over 2% and there was very late movement due to the impact of the FBI director's incredibly clumsy intervention (which probably caused some waverers to stay home). The state polls were a bit more off but also had a much lower level of intrinsic reliability. Fortunately there is no daft electoral college system in France to distort the outcome.

I think the media are playing up the French horse race as always but 60/40 is not a close race and thankfully the Front National remains toxic to most French voters (hence Le Pen's transparently cynical efforts to distance herself from the party). This resembles the Dutch election when Wilders' chances were massively over-stated by the media - particularly the British media running with a rabid Brexit/Nexit narrative - bearing little relationship to the actual developing reality on the ground.

For a 2 horse race 5/1 is decent odds but I wouldn't waste a pony...