Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Question UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

Merry Christmas to All!

I've been living out of the UK for nearly five years now and I've managed to get away with still keeping my UK bank account open, with Intelligent Finance, by using my parents UK address. I need it to continue payments to my mortgage, insurance, and any other UK payments, especially just using some cash in the UK when I return on holiday.

So far, it seems that most require you to be a UK resident in order to open a UK account. Does anyone know of any UK Banks that will allow accounts for Non-Residents? I'm trying to avoid the expensive alternatives of international banking of HSBC etc.

Many thanks & regards
MP
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Bank Account for Non-Residents

Why is HSBC International perceived to be expensive? They don't charge me anything so long as I stay in credit.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 2:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Co-operative Bank has an offshore account which costs nothing and has the same features as their normal onshore current account.

Only criteria is you have to be UK citizen...
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been out of the UK for 16 years and still have an HSBC account, we pay insurances and stuff through it, have sterling credit cards attached to it for when we are in UK and all bills, statements etc. go to our overseas address. No extra charges, no problems.

N
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why is HSBC International perceived to be expensive? They don't charge me anything so long as I stay in credit.

Thanks Lionheart - Well, all I hear is complaints and inflexibility. Usually they need minimum GBP 5000 balance at all times (HSBC Premier), and charge for everything.

If yours isn't expensive, please tell me what account you have with them.

thks & rgds
MP
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by norsk
Co-operative Bank has an offshore account which costs nothing and has the same features as their normal onshore current account.

Only criteria is you have to be UK citizen...
THanks Norsk, I'll call them tomorrow, let's hope they don't require UK residency. Cheers!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nic1
We've been out of the UK for 16 years and still have an HSBC account, we pay insurances and stuff through it, have sterling credit cards attached to it for when we are in UK and all bills, statements etc. go to our overseas address. No extra charges, no problems.

N
Thanks Nic1.
Did you open your account before or after you left the UK?
What's the name of the account you have?
Cheers, MP
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:51 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Thanks Nic1.
Did you open your account before or after you left the UK?
What's the name of the account you have?
Cheers, MP
Thanks everyone, please PM me your bank account details and passwords to prove what you are saying...all in the interest of sharing information, honest!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Merry Christmas to All!

I've been living out of the UK for nearly five years now and I've managed to get away with still keeping my UK bank account open, with Intelligent Finance, by using my parents UK address. I need it to continue payments to my mortgage, insurance, and any other UK payments, especially just using some cash in the UK when I return on holiday.

So far, it seems that most require you to be a UK resident in order to open a UK account. Does anyone know of any UK Banks that will allow accounts for Non-Residents? I'm trying to avoid the expensive alternatives of international banking of HSBC etc.

Many thanks & regards
MP
Yes, once you are non-resident it is not so easy to open a UK onshore bank account. No one on this thread has come up with one you can open after you are non-resident, and despite searches, I have not been able to find one either - it's either off-shore or time to be a little economical with the truth!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:45 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

And another point being that you should not close it down when you leave the UK.

Also keep using your cards every now and again or these get shut down for lack of use.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:51 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

The Lloyds TSB offshore GBP account has an account number and sort code like an onshore account. All my direct debits in the UK (phone, credit card) come out of it, just like they used to come out of my old onshore current account.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

I been out of the uk for almost 18 months....i still have my 'high street' bank account with Lloyds where my mortgage payments and other loan/credit card payments are still being paid from and in addition i have a Lloyds offshore account.

Why'd you close you bank accounts - i dont get it
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Yes, once you are non-resident it is not so easy to open a UK onshore bank account. No one on this thread has come up with one you can open after you are non-resident, and despite searches, I have not been able to find one either - it's either off-shore or time to be a little economical with the truth!
Cheers Bonny Boy,
I'm managing to keep the IF account going for now, but not sure how much longer it will last as they occasionally try to check up on me by calling my parents home and asking questions.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
And another point being that you should not close it down when you leave the UK.

Also keep using your cards every now and again or these get shut down for lack of use.
Absolutely, although we tend to find these things out after we've left.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by typical
The Lloyds TSB offshore GBP account has an account number and sort code like an onshore account. All my direct debits in the UK (phone, credit card) come out of it, just like they used to come out of my old onshore current account.
Great! Sounds like some progress, I'll check it out, see if the same facilities are available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.