Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE and ME Govts. How do you feel???

UAE and ME Govts. How do you feel???

Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:11 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE and ME Govts. How do you feel???

ok saying as we're all in an argumentative mood.

how do you all feel about living in dictatorship police states?

I for one am happy to have swopped a bit of personal freedom for the ability to not feel threatend by crowds of tearaways and junkies.

I'm glad that i am certain my car will be where i left it parked, and not burned out in a field.

I've decided that after wasting my vote for years (and i voted in everything) , that i dont miss the ability to take part in democracy.

what stealth taxes we have are far less repugnent than the crippling ones in the UK, which i definately did not see the benefit of. ( i didnt cash in on social security or the NHS, my govt. services were negligable, etc)

Ok so there are undoubttably problems, but over the years a lot of these have been addresed and things are slowly changing, long way to go yet but i like being able to watch it. 10 yrs ago the papers would never have mentioned the workers stike.

and so far touch wood i cant see a direct effect on me or my life by living under a relatively benevolent dictatorship

any thoughts ???
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:18 pm
Banned

DVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant future
Default Re: UAE and ME Govts. How do you feel???

Originally Posted by shiva

I for one am happy to have swopped a bit of personal freedom for the ability to not feel threatend by crowds of tearaways and junkies.

I'm glad that i am certain my car will be where i left it parked, and not burned out in a field.

I've decided that after wasting my vote for years (and i voted in everything) , that i dont miss the ability to take part in democracy.

what stealth taxes we have are far less repugnent than the crippling ones in the UK, which i definately did not see the benefit of. ( i didnt cash in on social security or the NHS, my govt. services were negligable, etc)

Ok so there are undoubttably problems, but over the years a lot of these have been addresed and things are slowly changing, long way to go yet but i like being able to watch it. 10 yrs ago the papers would never have mentioned the workers stike.

and so far touch wood i cant see a direct effect on me or my life by living under a relatively benevolent dictatorship

any thoughts ???
Thoughts...yes.

i think ill have steak and chips tonight

another thought.. did i switch the iron off this morning ????

oh and another.. I wonder what happened to geoffory from Rainbow??
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:21 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DVant
I wonder what happened to geoffory from Rainbow??

good question?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to behold

good question?
Zippy here....
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:32 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Geoffrey was working for a mini-cab firm. Also appeared advertising Virgin-money .
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:35 pm
Banned

DVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant futureDVant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Geoffrey was working for a mini-cab firm. Also appeared advertising Virgin-money .
Thats right.!!

but where is rod jane and freddy ???
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to beholdsarah1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Bungle....???
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sarah1
Bungle....???
Duh!!...

EVERYONE knows that Bungle went on the star as Chewbacca (The Wookie) in the Star Wars trilogy of films.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DVant
Duh!!...

EVERYONE knows that Bungle went on the star as Chewbacca (The Wookie) in the Star Wars trilogy of films.
Duh... I'm not everyone....
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:57 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

any thoughts ???

I do have some problems in the Govt. process in the ME, the main one being is that there is NO rule. If they are rules and then these rules dont cater to the need of the needy, as that would be the intention of the rule.

What I like about western system is the Systemisation of process but what I dislike is the non-flexibility of this system.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

darwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant futuredarwinlad has a brilliant future

I hate it. Far better to be in Thailand or some other country where you
can see pretty sexy girls...
Old Sep 25th 2005, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

any thoughts ???

I love it here I first arrived in '81 and have since made this my home, went to college in the UK.

One thing that I don't like but think is getting better here in Dubai anyway is the fact that when you need somehting offical ie DL, to own a car etc you need a letter from your company. Also when you want something that is not comman no one seems to know what to do and you sort of make your way from department to department asking peopl who sometimes can't even look you in the face. I admit since moving from AUH to DXB this has got better also my company here in DXB is a lot better organised and more willing to help you rather than who i worked for in AUH. And that seems to be happening all over. AUH had better catch up or it is going to be left behind if it hasn't already.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 7:07 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I can't honestly say that I've noticed the loss of any particular personal freedom since arriving here... maybe because the freedoms we have lost are ones that we didn't really exercise back in the UK anyway. Okay, there's voting, but it rarely seems to make much difference in the UK any more and there are just as many faceless, monolithic and inefficient government services back home as there are here. They cost us more in the UK, too.

I do enjoy the freedom from chav scum that the UAE affords, though...
Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:05 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by GarethR
I can't honestly say that I've noticed the loss of any particular personal freedom since arriving here... maybe because the freedoms we have lost are ones that we didn't really exercise back in the UK anyway. Okay, there's voting, but it rarely seems to make much difference in the UK any more and there are just as many faceless, monolithic and inefficient government services back home as there are here. They cost us more in the UK, too.

I do enjoy the freedom from chav scum that the UAE affords, though...

I've found that it does make me question the whole personal freedom issue.

the freedom from druggie chav scum is excellent and i have to say that if thats what you get with personal freedom then you can keep it!
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The freedoms I'm interested in include the freedom to wander around underground car parks at night without looking over my shoulder all the time, the freedom to walk down the street without encountering aggressive beggars in every shop doorway and the freedom to not worry if my car will be where I left it, with all it's wheels still attached.

I've gained all of that since coming here and I don't really feel that I have lost a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.