Wikiposts

UAE economy

Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE economy

Originally Posted by W10
As for Dubai. Yes its a nice lifestyle if you only appreciate pure material possessions. Otherwises its pretty dull.
One of my clients said almost exactly the same thing to me last week when we were talking about their plans to leave within a year...

It's sadly partially true but there are plenty of people who are thankfully not ostentatious.

N.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard property speculators are screwed big time

Turns out that so called "cash buyers" (who were supposedly propping up the market and didn't need to "distress sell") haven't really got any cash at all. They just about had enough money to put the first 10% in cash (required to book a property), and they bought 30-40 properties at a time. When the next installment was due - they sold 2-3 properties, and paid the next instalment in cash. Now the next instalment is due, they are unable to flip their properties and can't raise enough cash to pay up - developers are after them............ a big mess apparently.

Can you imagine what this is going to do to the property market - prices were driven up entirely by such speculators and not genuine user demand? I shudder to think.

HSBC has increased its LTV on properties - now requiring a 50% downpayment.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:23 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG

Turns out that so called "cash buyers" (who were supposedly propping up the market and didn't need to "distress sell") haven't really got any cash at all. They just about had enough money to put the first 10% in cash (required to book a property), and they bought 30-40 properties at a time. When the next installment was due - they sold 2-3 properties, and paid the next instalment in cash. Now the next instalment is due, they are unable to flip their properties and can't raise enough cash to pay up - developers are after them............ a big mess apparently.

Can you imagine what this is going to do to the property market - prices were driven up entirely by such speculators and not genuine user demand? I shudder to think.

If that's true it's pretty horrific - although good news in the long term provided they learn from their mistakes!

N.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

hate to say "i told you so"......actually I dont hate it, i've been saying it for 3 yrs.
This market has never had any fundamental reason for the insane increases, barring misplaced confidence and over active imaginations..........cant wait to pick up a Hatton for peanuts
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If that's true it's pretty horrific - although good news in the long term provided they learn from their mistakes!

N.
exactly, i'm a firm beliver that the global crunch is long overdue and needed to bring people back to reality. At no point in human history has it been wise to spend and borrow several times your net worth on the basis of speculation
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:42 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Also just heard aa rumour from the 'Emperors's Inner Circle' that JBR is going to be 'downsized'!! 15% occupancy and Mo thinks its an absolute eye sore amongst all the steel and glass going up in the Marina. Word is at least 3 towers will be pulled down....

Wonder how many of those unpaid instalment owners are going to see there investment razed to the ground......
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Also just heard aa rumour from the 'Emperors's Inner Circle' that JBR is going to be 'downsized'!! 15% occupancy and Mo thinks its an absolute eye sore amongst all the steel and glass going up in the Marina. Word is at least 3 towers will be pulled down....

Wonder how many of those unpaid instalment owners are going to see there investment razed to the ground......
Interesting. I heard that a few months ago.

It is bloody ugly, but will they really knock it down? Bad publicity surely? (And we know that isn't allowed.)

-
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just about every local lender has reduced their LTV too.

Anyone who put all thier cash into intial installments in that way, hoping to fund future payments by flipping, is an idiot. How is it that people forget that property is just another asset class and that it goes down in value too?

-
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If that's true
N.
Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:23 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is brave enough to put this into a research note or news story... please let me know!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Just about every local lender has reduced their LTV too.

-
I meant increased its margin/reduced ltv, I've said just the opposite above....lol
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Interesting. I heard that a few months ago.

It is bloody ugly, but will they really knock it down? Bad publicity surely? (And we know that isn't allowed.)

-

surely it is just rumour? if they were to knock three of them down I can't imagine them every finding another investor in the world who would touch this place with a barge pole?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
If anyone is brave enough to put this into a research note or news story... please let me know!
HSBC report on its way............... remind me of your personal e-mail address...........
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:55 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
HSBC report on its way............... remind me of your personal e-mail address...........
You have mail... thanks man...
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I almost missed this gem.... Dubai or not Dubai, that is the question:

More bad news comes from Dubai, where property prices are looking so shaky that government-run DIFC Investments has decided to buy it, attempting to prop up the price of the Emirate’s one abundant natural resource, land. Where they’ll get the money for this feat is anyone’s guess, because Dubai Inc. faces rising borrowing costs on international markets. It seems only a matter of time before Abu Dhabi is presented with a critical question as to whether it needs to bail out Dubai or just come in and buy it at cents on the dollar.

The question for Abu Dhabi will be similar to that the US Congress just faced: is Dubai’s financial industry too big to fail? In other words, does the UAE stand to lose more from the insolvency of Dubai’s financial institutions than it does from clearing out the excess leverage and having the country’s healthier banks buy up the assets at discounts? Abu Dhabi, unlike the US, is flush, so the risk that the country would have to sell off the banks to foreign investors is low. And Abu Dhabi will pay less to buy such distressed assets than it would to recapitalize the banks as they are.

The risk, however, is that if Abu Dhabi does not step in with capital to fund Dubai and its banks, that Dubai will tap its newfound connections in Japan and China, who would love nothing better than to get a piece of the action in the Gulf. The problem for them, of course, is that what they really want is oil, not real estate. So unless buying up Dubai assets somehow brings them closer to crude, Asia’s cash-rich governments may not have so much interest in Dubai. Perhaps Russia represents a source of easy financing for Dubai.

Some say the bailout by Abu Dhabi is already underway. The UAE central bank’s liquidity facility largely funds Dubai’s refinancing needs, they point out, not Abu Dhabi’s and therefore represents a bailout by cash-rich Abu Dhabi of cash-strapped Dubai. But I don’t believe it’s accurate to count the UAE’s reserves as Abu Dhabi’s. Most Abu Dhabi income gets funneled into the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, the Abu Dhabi Investment Council, the International Petroleum Investment Company, and Mubadala Development. Until those funds start buying Dubai assets, I wouldn’t call it a bailout

Unquote

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...35553/-1/SPORT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.