UAE Camping

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

RSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really nice
Default UAE Camping

hello all,

Can you recommend(with directions) some nice camping areas within one hour of Dubai?

I am looking for something that has a nice Sand Dune vista, and is relatively easy to get to without a 4x4.

thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:23 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE Camping

Originally Posted by RSee
hello all,

Can you recommend(with directions) some nice camping areas within one hour of Dubai?

I am looking for something that has a nice Sand Dune vista, and is relatively easy to get to without a 4x4.

thanks.
Head to Hatta plenty out that way
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:07 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Fossil Rock
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Fossil Rock
4x4 might be needed for fossil rock.

However Fossil Valley in Al Ain is rock, little bit of sand. Not many fossils left but can be accessed by 2x2 car. In one of the offroad books it did give the wrong turn off from the road but you will see when you end up in the landfill not fossil valley

Also Kelba the south end of the east coast is accessible with a saloon car so are most beaches on the east coast but they can get very busy on the public holidays and weekends. Also Jebal Ali beach but you need a permit as it was getting over crowded but has gone quite since the JA palm has been built. will attatch the permit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dubai Municipality.pdf (412.9 KB, 1948 views)
File Type: pdf
Sanctuary conditions English.pdf (72.7 KB, 1367 views)
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:11 am
Just Joined

RSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really niceRSee is just really nice

thanks for the ideas all.

I think I would need a 4x4 for fossil rock.

Do you need a permit to go to Jebel Ali beach now?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:17 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSee
thanks for the ideas all.

I think I would need a 4x4 for fossil rock.

Do you need a permit to go to Jebel Ali beach now?
offically yes. however we've been many, many times camping and the police do patrol but not once have they asked us for any ID or permit etc.

They are quite content to make sure all quiet and normal.

beers, barbeques whatever a blind eye has been turned so far...

2 things though - clean up completely afterwards, please. not a trace of your stay - it's getting screwed up...

second - if you get caught without a permit - don't blame me - but I've never bothered in 3 years of camping...

Go to the very end by the petrol station to get close without a 4x4. there is a road all the way to the shore pretty much.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:40 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson
4x4 might be needed for fossil rock.
Sorry, didn't see the 'no 4x4' bit.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of other options for camping within 1 hr of Dubai:

a) Take the Hatta road (also called Al-Awir Road), and keep driving past Big Red (where all the Quad bikes are) and through Maddam. After Maddam, take a right by the EPPCO petrol station and you will be on a road through the mountains that will eventually end up in Al-Ain (i think it's sign-posted to Al-Maha). Follow this road for about 15 kms, and then take the dirt track road to your left. This will take you on a circuitous, mountainous route back to Hatta, but with some nice places to camp next to pools, wadis etc on the way. If you don't have a 4x4, you will be OK so long as it hasn't been raining (in which case, many of the fords will be deep, and the track roads may be washed away). I can look up the GPS co-ords for anyone who wants them.

Very important - even if you are in a 4 x 4, don't drive in the wadis if it is raining. Several people every year die in flash floods!! Last time I was out that way, there was a totally trashed Nissan patrol washed up in a gully...

b) For a gentler option, drive out towards Abu Dhabi, and take the turning for the Al-Jazeera resort near to Ghantoot. On the road between the resort & the holiday bungalows, there is a gap in the fence and a dirt track that will take you down to the creek. There is a 3km water-front stretch that is nice to camp in, plus you can try some of the watersports at Al Jazeera without paying to stay in the hotel. Don't know if this is kosher or not - there are no signs saying "no camping", and I have never had any problems there....

Have any of you camper-types ever tried taking the car ferry from Sharjah to Bandar Abbas? I have been thinking about taking my jeep over and checking out the historic sites of Iran (Isfahan, Shiraz, Persepolis)... before they nuke themselves out of existence, or get the "George W" treatment.....

Would like to know if it has been done by expats before - the fact that there is a working car ferry would suggest that some folk must use it???!!!

Last edited by shakh your bootie; Feb 26th 2007 at 10:08 am.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie

a) Take the Hatta road (also called Al-Awir Road), and keep driving past Big Red (where all the Quad bikes are) and through Maddam. After Maddam, take a right by the EPPCO petrol station and you will be on a road through the mountains that will eventually end up in Al-Ain (i think it's sign-posted to Al-Maha). Follow this road for about 15 kms, and then take the dirt track road to your left. This will take you on a circuitous, mountainous route back to Hatta, but with some nice places to camp next to pools, wadis etc on the way. If you don't have a 4x4, you will be OK so long as it hasn't been raining (in which case, many of the fords will be deep, and the track roads may be washed away). I can look up the GPS co-ords for anyone who wants them.

Very important - even if you are in a 4 x 4, don't drive in the wadis if it is raining. Several people every year die in flash floods!! Last time I was out that way, there was a totally trashed Nissan patrol washed up in a gully...

b) For a gentler option, drive out towards Abu Dhabi, and take the turning for the Al-Jazeera resort near to Ghantoot. On the road between the resort & the holiday bungalows, there is a gap in the fence and a dirt track that will take you down to the creek. There is a 3km water-front stretch that is nice to camp in, plus you can try some of the watersports at Al Jazeera without paying to stay in the hotel. Don't know if this is kosher or not - there are no signs saying "no camping", and I have never had any problems there....

Have any of you camper-types ever tried taking the car ferry from Sharjah to Bandar Abbas? I have been thinking about taking my jeep over and checking out the historic sites of Iran (Isfahan, Shiraz, Persepolis)... before they nuke themselves out of existence, or get the "George W" treatment.....

Would like to know if it has been done by expats before - the fact that there is a working car ferry would suggest that some folk must use it???!!!
How easy is it to get a visa for Iran?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie

These people may know....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4427096.stm
Old Feb 27th 2007, 6:26 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Also look at Lonely planet's Thorn tree discussion page, loads of useful info
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You may have a point, my cloth-caps and whippet friend.....

By the same token, I know a lot of Brits who travel regularly to Iran on business without getting busted...

The dispute over the islands has quite a history - Sharjah wants 'em back, but the Iranis have massively built up defences there. Perfect location to blockade the straits of Hormuz and therefore the oil main-line into the vein of Western industry.... Eeek.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
How easy is it to get a visa for Iran?
If you have an Irani sponsor, you can get a visa (for a biz trip, that would be the company you are visiting). The ferry company claims to be able to arrange a toursit visa & car insurance...

Check out:

http://www.irantravelingcenter.com/v...rsian_gulf.htm

If anyone fancies a bit of a convoy, I am thinking about a trip in late June....