Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE amidst the 'Arab Unrest'

UAE amidst the 'Arab Unrest'

Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:15 am
Banned

Talking Stick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UAE amidst the 'Arab Unrest'

I don't know how many there are or how much trouble they can cause but eventually those abused labourers in Dubai will rise up.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Talking Stick
I don't know how many there are or how much trouble they can cause but eventually those abused labourers in Dubai will rise up.
Nice avatar TS. Your local track?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the radio this morning that the UAE are looking to join the United Nations Human Rights Commission, because they are 'very keen on human rights'.

I nearly had to pull over, I was laughing so much.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I heard on the radio this morning that the UAE are looking to join the United Nations Human Rights Commission, because they are 'very keen on human rights'.

Yeah, made me laugh too. Maybe their interest is similar to Ghandi's view on Western civilisation ("it could be a good idea"). We're very keen, and we'll set up a task force to form a commission to establish a focus group to see if we should implement some rights. If that's positive, we'll then even consider the possibility of extending the concept to nationals of some foreign countries--well, the men, anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:16 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing is they will probably get it. The Commission is led by a bloc of mostly Islamic states with extremely poor records on Human Rights and spends most of it's time issuing declarations at Israel despite Israel having a better Human Rights record than most of it's neighbours.

The same commission is leading the charge to make it international law to criticise religion...I wonder which religion that will benefit - probably Buddhism I imagine, they are always killing people for insulting Buddha

N.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I vote that they are rejected and let's hope that the case of the Al N...an deliberately running over someone, using cattle prods for torture etc comes back to haunt them. Oh I forgot the aggressor was forced to take drugs and alcohol and therefore claimed diminished responsibility! Anyone got the address of the UN Human Rights Commission.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

The UN is a bloody joke. Theres is some good done by the little people on the ground but in the grand scheme of things it is just powerfull countries manipulating events , vetoing any criticism of their allies . Like the US always vetoing any attempt to condemn Israeli aggression or China and Arab nations supporting the genocidal Arab regime of Sudan.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The UAE is also a guest participant (one of five) at this year's G20 meetings............

Last edited by The Dean; Mar 7th 2011 at 8:26 am. Reason: T
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:19 pm
MMA
Just Joined

MMA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I'm Abu Dhabi based and think you should be worried about the driving standards and overpriced booze in some hotels.

Otherwise it's fine, you should enjoy your time here - especially if you come to my social inebriation/networking events

N.
Ah yes i had the pleasure of experiencing the crazy dodgems last time i was there but in fairness, Latin America is up there for driving catastrophies so I at least have had some good practise.

You know I was talking to the Mrs and we can barely afford to drink here so moving to AD is a good chance to give it up! Ill focus on my jiu jitsu rather than my drink

We just got word from boss.... the offer isnt as good as we imagined it would be. We are both going to have to get by on around 40,000. I know we can rent somewhere for about 80k/year and not live the high life but we really wanted to save also. Is this going to be a bad move for us or is 40k/month worthwhile?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The UN is a bloody joke. Theres is some good done by the little people on the ground but in the grand scheme of things it is just powerfull countries manipulating events , vetoing any criticism of their allies . Like the US always vetoing any attempt to condemn Israeli aggression or China and Arab nations supporting the genocidal Arab regime of Sudan.
Israel has been the subject of hundreds of declarations...I think you're missing something. The US has hardly vetoed any condemnations against them. It's ironic because Israel doesn't murder it's gay citizens or put people in jail for adultery. The UN Human Rights council focuses disproportionately on the Israeli-Arab conflict and within that fails to do much to address the human rights abuses within Arab states. When Sri Lanka steamrolled over the Tamil Tigers, killing many thousands and displacing hundreds of thousands of civillians we didn't hear much. When Israel sends some tanks to stop Iranian backed terrorist groups from launching hundreds of missiles into it's territory and 20 people die we don't hear the end of it.

Personally I don't see how any country that has poor human rights records should be allowed to even vote on such matters - no Arab state comes close except perhaps Jordan. Most do not have freedom of religion, freedom of assembly or freedom of speech and have massive secret service apparatus to spy and oppress their own populations...it's a joke.

I agree about China not saying anything about Sudan - but I feel the Chinese do it to piss off the West, who let's face it are somewhat condescending of China telling them to become democratic when they are clearly not ready for anything close to that yet.

N.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Israel has been the subject of hundreds of declarations...I think you're missing something. The US has hardly vetoed any condemnations against them...
Are you having a laugh? Only the other day the USA vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning the on-going construction of new houses in the occupied territories. Even the woman voting on behalf of the USA looked embarrassed doing so.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:07 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have no other options then yes it's quite doable.

8K a month for housing, 8K a month for living expenses, 2K for a car, 2K into the holiday savings fund, bank the rest.

It's the initial set up costs that are very expensive.

Originally Posted by MMA
Ah yes i had the pleasure of experiencing the crazy dodgems last time i was there but in fairness, Latin America is up there for driving catastrophies so I at least have had some good practise.

You know I was talking to the Mrs and we can barely afford to drink here so moving to AD is a good chance to give it up! Ill focus on my jiu jitsu rather than my drink

We just got word from boss.... the offer isnt as good as we imagined it would be. We are both going to have to get by on around 40,000. I know we can rent somewhere for about 80k/year and not live the high life but we really wanted to save also. Is this going to be a bad move for us or is 40k/month worthwhile?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
Are you having a laugh? Only the other day the USA vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning the on-going construction of new houses in the occupied territories. Even the woman voting on behalf of the USA looked embarrassed doing so.
It's not a laughing matter.

The Security Council is not the same thing as the Human Rights Council for starters...

Building houses on occupied land from wars Israel didn't start in the first place when half of Cyrpus has been annexed and built upon by Turkey decades ago - how does that compare? Or how about Turkey and Iraq's treatment of the Kurds (to put it into perspective over 30,000 Kurds have died since the 1980s at the hands of our "allies" the Turkish security forces - Kurds were not allowed by law to name their children Kurdish names until recently - I don't recall Israel doing anything even close to that despite being surrounded by enemies who wish to see them wiped out).

Or we could look at the Human Rights record of Iran which routinely hangs homosexuals and stones adulterers. Or the religious freedom track record of Saudi Arabia?

Even better, lets look at the 900,000 Jews who were expelled from all over the Arab world in the late 1940s - many from places they had lived BEFORE there was an Arabic script (such as the Jews in Iraq). How about their property, land and assets which were stolen from them? Where's the UN condemnation of that?

As I said - the UN is obsessed with Israel (and so is the media). Did you know that in June 2007 it voted to make Israel's actions a permanent item on its agenda. It turns a blind eye to every Palestinian terrorist act, every since rocket fired at Israeli civilians deliberately and ignores virtually all of the world's conflicts and problems. It doesn't condemn the Arab states who deliberately keep palestinians as refugees instead of absorbing them into their own states (like Israel did with the middle eastern Jews who were ejected in the 1940s)...and for the sole reason of not wanting to see Jews have a Jewish majority state...because if the Jews are allowed to do that the Kurds, Copts, Assyrians and other repressed middle eastern native cultures and people will demand theirs and the Arab hegemony of the last 1400 years on the region will be threatened.

To quote CNSNews "Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the U.N. Human Rights Council on Monday that it “cannot continue to single out and devote disproportionate attention to any one country.” However, a five-year review of how the council functions is set to reaffirm that Israel will remain the only country subject to a permanent agenda item."

The council is a sick joke if it cannot be impartial and issue condemnations to all states who make violations...but if it did that half it's members would be voting against themselves on a daily basis because it's dominated by Islamic states and their allies. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/65356

It has zero credibility...over half of all condemnatory actions taken by the council since it's inception in 2006 targeted Israel. Of the 12 emergency sessions called six were regarding Israel. Who's having a laugh here?

N.

PS: Look at the land Germany gave up claim to after the war rightly or wrongly...masses of land inhabited by Ethnic Germans for hundreds of years (some going right back to the middle ages). How many calls from Germany do we hear today telling Poles and Czechs they are building illegally? How many Germans from those areas live as perpetual refugees because Germany is unwilling to take them back and the surrounding states refuse to give them citizenship?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The Security Council is not the same thing as the Human Rights Council for starters...

Building houses on occupied land from wars Israel didn't start in the first place when half of Cyrpus has been annexed and built upon by Turkey decades ago - how does that compare? Or how about Turkey and Iraq's treatment of the Kurds (to put it into perspective over 30,000 Kurds have died since the 1980s at the hands of our "allies" the Turkish security forces - Kurds were not allowed by law to name their children Kurdish names until recently - I don't recall Israel doing anything even close to that despite being surrounded by enemies who wish to see them wiped out).

Or we could look at the Human Rights record of Iran which routinely hangs homosexuals and stones adulterers. Or the religious freedom track record of Saudi Arabia?

Even better, lets look at the 900,000 Jews who were expelled from all over the Arab world in the late 1940s - many from places they had lived BEFORE there was an Arabic script (such as the Jews in Iraq). How about their property, land and assets which were stolen from them? Where's the UN condemnation of that?

As I said - the UN is obsessed with Israel (and so is the media). Did you know that in June 2007 it voted to make Israel's actions a permanent item on its agenda. It turns a blind eye to every Palestinian terrorist act, every since rocket fired at Israeli civilians deliberately and ignores virtually all of the world's conflicts and problems. It doesn't condemn the Arab states who deliberately keep palestinians as refugees instead of absorbing them into their own states (like Israel did with the middle eastern Jews who were ejected in the 1940s)...and for the sole reason of not wanting to see Jews have a Jewish majority state...because if the Jews are allowed to do that the Kurds, Copts, Assyrians and other repressed middle eastern native cultures and people will demand theirs and the Arab hegemony of the last 1400 years on the region will be threatened.

To quote CNSNews "Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the U.N. Human Rights Council on Monday that it “cannot continue to single out and devote disproportionate attention to any one country.” However, a five-year review of how the council functions is set to reaffirm that Israel will remain the only country subject to a permanent agenda item."

The council is a sick joke if it cannot be impartial and issue condemnations to all states who make violations...but if it did that half it's members would be voting against themselves on a daily basis because it's dominated by Islamic states and their allies. http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/65356

It has zero credibility...over half of all condemnatory actions taken by the council since it's inception in 2006 targeted Israel. Of the 12 emergency sessions called six were regarding Israel. Who's having a laugh here?

N.

PS: Look at the land Germany gave up claim to after the war rightly or wrongly...masses of land inhabited by Ethnic Germans for hundreds of years (some going right back to the middle ages). How many calls from Germany do we hear today telling Poles and Czechs they are building illegally? How many Germans from those areas live as perpetual refugees because Germany is unwilling to take them back and the surrounding states refuse to give them citizenship?
I'm sorry this letter is so long, I didn't have time to make it shorter.
— George Bernard Shaw
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point

N.

Im sorry mate but Israel is as culpable as any other of the Middle Eastern States. What sets them apart is their endless funding from the US and unequivocal backing regardless of the atrocities it commits, not least against the Palestinian people.

*Do not get me wrong, there are two sides of every conflict BUT see the details below.

A list of the (too many to add so just a few) UN Resolutions it has been floundering with flippant disregard.

By the way – Israel has more UN resolutions against it than China, North Korea and Iran put together!!

• Resolution 237: Six Day War June 14, 1967) " ... 'urges' Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees".
  • Resolution 636: " ... 'deeply regrets' Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians.
  • Resolution 641 (30 Aug 1989): " ... 'deplores' Israel's continuing deportation of Palestinians.
  • Resolution 1435 (24 Sep 2002) called for an end to Israeli measures in and around Ramallah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.