UAE

Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

RossF1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UAE

Hi,

New guy looking for some advice on relocating with family to the UAE.

I have lived and worked (unaccompanied) for extended periods of time in KSA and visited many of the other ME countries so have some experience of life out there but an opportunity is now on the table to move out with my Wife and 2 boys (13yrs and 9yrs). Just looking for a bit of advice.

Two of the locations being offered are Abu Dhabi and Al Ain.

Mainly around the expat community in these locations and also schooling.

Is there a strong expat community in Al Ain? I assume that Abu Dhabi will have a strong one enabling my family and I to make new friends. Just a little concerned about Al Ain as it is considerably smaller.

With regards to schooling, my eldest Son is Asperger's so is extremely bright and academic but struggles to interact socially, especially in large groups. He gets great SEN support in his current school. Does anyone have experience of this in the UAE? I have noticed that on the British school sites that I have visited that they all seem to follow the same SEN policies as back in the UK.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Ross
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE

Al Ain is a university town and has a large number of expats of many nationalities teaching at the Uni.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Al Ain is smaller, however the expats I know who have worked there, have been positive about it. It is a place people can go and stay several years.

If you could manage KSA - you will find both Abu Dhabi and Al Ain to be smooth sailing.

Just one point, which may or may not be relevant - Al Ain is the power centre of the UAE (not Abu Dhabi or Dubai).

By the way Al Ain is both a city and a region. Some people find they are working in a village in Al Ain Region, not Al Ain city, and commuting a considerable distance every day from accommodation in Al Ain city. Worth checking with your prospective employer if "Al Ain" means city or region.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Al Ain and Abu Dhabi are both relatively sleepy places. They're certainly not the bling bling hustle and bustle of Dubai, which feels far busier. But that can be an advantage. There's been a lot of changes in Al Ain in the past five years with more amenities and shops and restaurants opening, so it's not quite so limited any more, plus you're still only a hour from Dubai and a hour and half from Abu Dhabi (you'll find yourself going up to Dubai more often, methinks). Al Ain has the highest percentage of resident Emiratis of any city in the UAE and a stronger 'local' flavour, which is why Carcajou commented the real power in the UAE is in Al Ain (I think it's a bit of an overstatement but Al Ain was the historic home of the Al Nayhan family - rulers of Abu Dhabi emirate - and remains their cultural and spiritual centre rather than Abu Dhabi even if the latter is the capital).

I'm told that the expat scene in Al Ain is not just smaller but perhaps tighter? It used to be the case that many expats joined one of the hotel clubs for the pools and courts and activities and that helped build a good community for new expats. Al Ain is also cheaper than either Dubai or Abu Dhabi, rents are lower, costs are lower in general (not sure about school fees but it makes sense it'd be a bit lower too). Al Ain is also surrounded by some great scenery, you have the rolling sand dunes, Jabeel Hafeet mountain, and you're right on the border with Oman and can easily pop over for camping trips in the Omani mountains. If you enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, Al Ain can be great. As a desert city, it is hotter than Dubai or Abu Dhabi but far less humid in the summer, as it's a dry heat, so perhaps it's more bearable.

The only thing missing in Al Ain is the lack of beaches but you can always pop over to Dubai on the weekends. Either as a day trip or book yourself a hotel for the weekend.

The two things I'd be concerned about Al Ain are schools and flights. I cannot speak to the quality of schools, especially regarding your son's condition. Contact the schools and ask. But I've also never heard anyone complain about the quality of the international schools in Al Ain. Abu Dhabi may have schools that cater better to special needs but then again maybe not. Special education / assistance is generally a hit or miss in the UAE.

Regarding flights, you'll end up flying in/out of Abu Dhabi or Dubai and then it's a long transfer to Al Ain. Can be a pain as you'll have to organise the flights more carefully.