Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TV work in Doha with JCC

TV work in Doha with JCC

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

AnthonyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV work in Doha - advice needed!

I am a UK-based freelance TV producer and I've recently heard about a staff job going at a company in Doha.

As the UK TV industry is pretty dead and I'm looking for a change (and some decent money!) I'm interested in applying. Judging from the advert I think I have the right skill set. I also know the Middle East to some extent as my father used to be posted in Bahrain.

I know the name of the company but I have no information and Google doesn't help. Does anyone know of a good website which lists Qatar TV stations and production companies?

Out of interest, is there anyone on this forum involved in the media in Qatar?

An 'attractive compensation package' is offered - as I haven't lived there what would a reasonable salary package be, given the type of job and the local cost of living?

I've been reading this forum for some hours, which has been very useful. By the sound of it Doha is a pretty good place to live. As I am a single guy in my 40s maybe Dubai would be better but I'm sure Doha will be fine (and Dubai is very near).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AnthonyB; Mar 3rd 2005 at 3:01 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV work in Doha with JCC

Can't help for Doha...but I think you might have some luck with links from within the links of the sites in the media section of the faq.

As for doha, only a couple people on this site that are there, novita and malt.

Welcome to the forum btw
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:52 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: TV work in Doha - advice needed!

Originally Posted by AnthonyB
I am a UK-based freelance TV producer and I've recently heard about a staff job going at a company in Doha.

As the UK TV industry is pretty dead and I'm looking for a change (and some decent money!) I'm interested in applying. Judging from the advert I think I have the right skill set. I also know the Middle East to some extent as my father used to be posted in Bahrain.

I know the name of the company but I have no information and Google doesn't help. Does anyone know of a good website which lists Qatar TV stations and production companies?

An 'attractive compensation package' is offered - as I haven't lived there what would a reasonable salary package be, given the type of job and the local cost of living?

I've been reading this forum for some hours, which has been very useful. By the sound of it Doha is a pretty good place to live. As I am a single guy in my 40s maybe Dubai would be better but I'm sure Doha will be fine (and Dubai is very near).

Thanks in advance!
Hi Anthony. Welcome to the forum!

Cant help much with Doha, but it is next door to the Emirates, if thats of any help.

Enjoy the forum!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:03 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!

I am not working ... not sure how to help you. U probably already find this link in FAQ http://www.qatar-links.com/

If you go to www.expatwoman.com, and put a post abt ur question probably more ppl can help u in there. But maybe better u put a lady name in ur posting . The site not 'user friendly' for male. But i know lots of working ladies in Doha posting in there.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77
I am not working ... not sure how to help you. U probably already find this link in FAQ http://www.qatar-links.com/

If you go to www.expatwoman.com, and put a post abt ur question probably more ppl can help u in there. But maybe better u put a lady name in ur posting . The site not 'user friendly' for male. But i know lots of working ladies in Doha posting in there.
Thank you for the welcomes! Novita, I'll post in the expatwoman site with a female name and see what happens.

By the way, I noticed in another thread that you are from Singapore. I used to live there as a child (up to 12 years old). I have very fond memories of the island and that is another place I might consider to work and live (maybe after the Gulf!).

We've had weeks of really horrible dull cold weather here in the UK so the Arabian Gulf is becoming very appealing!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:09 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcomes! Novita, I'll post in the expatwoman site with a female name and see what happens.

By the way, I noticed in another thread that you are from Singapore. I used to live there as a child (up to 12 years old). I have very fond memories of the island and that is another place I might consider to work and live (maybe after the Gulf!).

We've had weeks of really horrible dull cold weather here in the UK so the Arabian Gulf is becoming very appealing!
Hi

We were in Singapore for 2 years before we landed in Doha. And I am not from Singapore, I am Indonesian

Singapore is nice... but things in there are damn bloody exspensive Can't afford anything...

Hubby were in Singapore in 1967 - 1969... You hide ur year of birth , so dunno wether u r in Singapore in the same time with hubby or not. My father in law used to work in Singapore with RAF.

Where r u from in the UK? :

Last edited by novita77; Mar 3rd 2005 at 6:12 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 7:45 am
W10

Hi Anthony

I work in the media and am about to move across from London to Dubai to go and work for the Gulf News newspaper.

However I've also worked for Sky News and the BBC as a producer. There is TV work to be had in Dubai - MBC and Al Jazeera both employ British journalists. There is a big CNN office here as well but I think it is mostly Arabic speakers.

Salary wise (in Dubai anyway) things are pretty healthy. Granted we won't get paid the extravagant salaries of most of the ex-pats here but compared to the UK media industry it's pretty good.

Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by W10
Hi Anthony

I work in the media and am about to move across from London to Dubai to go and work for the Gulf News newspaper.

However I've also worked for Sky News and the BBC as a producer. There is TV work to be had in Dubai - MBC and Al Jazeera both employ British journalists. There is a big CNN office here as well but I think it is mostly Arabic speakers.

Salary wise (in Dubai anyway) things are pretty healthy. Granted we won't get paid the extravagant salaries of most of the ex-pats here but compared to the UK media industry it's pretty good.
Thanks for that - sounds interesting! If Doha doesn't work out I'll do some research on working in Dubai. Good luck in your new position!

Novita - when one is over 40 I think most people hide their age lol. Anyway, I was in Singapore from 1965-1969. My father was attached to the RAF so we lived just outside RAF Changi.

I attended both Changi Junior School (1965-7) and Changi Grammar School (1967-9). Maybe I knew your hubby! I'm currently living in London.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:14 pm
semarang

Thanks for that - sounds interesting! If Doha doesn't work out I'll do some research on working in Dubai. Good luck in your new position!

Novita - when one is over 40 I think most people hide their age lol. Anyway, I was in Singapore from 1965-1969. My father was attached to the RAF so we lived just outside RAF Changi.

I attended both Changi Junior School (1965-7) and Changi Grammar School (1967-9). Maybe I knew your hubby! I'm currently living in London.
Not sure you know hubby ... but probably you know Johnbuoy. He is a regular on this board, also at the moment in London, around ur age and hubby age, and I think he told me he attended Changi Grammar School...

Small world eh ...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77
Not sure you know hubby ... but probably you know Johnbuoy. He is a regular on this board, also at the moment in London, around ur age and hubby age, and I think he told me he attended Changi Grammar School...

Small world eh ...
It certainly is! I've sent you a pm.