British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   travelling with medication (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/travelling-medication-559886/)

Babsw Sep 6th 2008 3:11 pm

travelling with medication

We're flying with Emirates to Brisbane in Oct. and have just been checking web site and found all these restrictions on medications,can any one help please.
My son is on a regular prescription for anti-biotics (oxytetracycline,skin condition) and although its not on the list of controlled substances the web site says you can't go by that and you have to contact UAE.Do I have to get in touch with the embassy or what? last thing we need is to get into airport carrying 'drugs'
Am a bit worried by this...
should just mention we are having a 2 nite stop over in case this makes any diff?

Dutchie Sep 6th 2008 4:40 pm

Re: travelling with medication

Originally Posted by Babsw (Post 6755672)
We're flying with Emirates to Brisbane in Oct. and have just been checking web site and found all these restrictions on medications,can any one help please.
My son is on a regular prescription for anti-biotics (oxytetracycline,skin condition) and although its not on the list of controlled substances the web site says you can't go by that and you have to contact UAE.Do I have to get in touch with the embassy or what? last thing we need is to get into airport carrying 'drugs'
Am a bit worried by this...
should just mention we are having a 2 nite stop over in case this makes any diff?

Hi Babs,

I suffer from Horton's Syndrome myself (Migraines times a factor 1000) and got an international certificate from my Doctor. I had the "International Certificate of Need" as it's called stamped as real by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Holland at a cost of €12.50. Went to the Saudi Arabian embassy and they where more then helpful, translated it into Arabic and also stamped it as real for no extra costs. Even went to Saudi Arabia with syringes in my briefcase and luggage, no problem. Just reported it to the airline "as needed".

Babsw Sep 7th 2008 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6755890)
Hi Babs,

I suffer from Horton's Syndrome myself (Migraines times a factor 1000) and got an international certificate from my Doctor. I had the "International Certificate of Need" as it's called stamped as real by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Holland at a cost of €12.50. Went to the Saudi Arabian embassy and they where more then helpful, translated it into Arabic and also stamped it as real for no extra costs. Even went to Saudi Arabia with syringes in my briefcase and luggage, no problem. Just reported it to the airline "as needed".

cheers, thanks for that.We live a few hundred miles away from the UAE embassy but I'll go see our doc first then ring the embassy to see if i can post it maybe? thanks again tho' for replying and so quick.

The Dean Sep 7th 2008 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Babsw (Post 6757795)
cheers, thanks for that.We live a few hundred miles away from the UAE embassy but I'll go see our doc first then ring the embassy to see if i can post it maybe? thanks again tho' for replying and so quick.

Codeine is banned in most GCC countries by the way, so don't bring any pain killers with that in the ingredients......... even stuff simply bought over the counter at Boots.

Babsw Sep 7th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6758186)
Codeine is banned in most GCC countries by the way, so don't bring any pain killers with that in the ingredients......... even stuff simply bought over the counter at Boots.

i just realised that when i was reading the list.have also just remembered my son's inhalers so will get the doc to certify them as well in case.All this making me a bit nervous now.

Blue Cat Sep 8th 2008 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Babsw (Post 6759224)
i just realised that when i was reading the list.have also just remembered my son's inhalers so will get the doc to certify them as well in case.All this making me a bit nervous now.

no need, plenty people here are on asthma medication and oxytet is hardly hard core drugs.

Babsw Sep 8th 2008 6:41 pm

thanks to every one for your help, just thankful i saw this thread on emirates web site and you were all here to ask!

Fairydust Sep 8th 2008 7:04 pm

Just carry the prescriptions with you for the meds just in case and you be fine

Babsw Sep 9th 2008 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6762529)
Just carry the prescriptions with you for the meds just in case and you be fine

I'm not sure how you mean carry the prescription with us-once we get the prescription from the doc and take it to the chemist he keeps it and gives us the tabs.Do you mean the certificate we'll hopefully get from the doc( got an appt. booked for tomorrow)?

Blue Cat Sep 10th 2008 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Babsw (Post 6765999)
I'm not sure how you mean carry the prescription with us-once we get the prescription from the doc and take it to the chemist he keeps it and gives us the tabs.Do you mean the certificate we'll hopefully get from the doc( got an appt. booked for tomorrow)?

get a photocopy of the prescription :)

lobby lou Sep 10th 2008 2:31 pm

my father travels here a lot from uk on lots of meds he just needed a letter from his gp stating what he takes and why and all meds need to be keep in their original boxes and never had a problem xxxtj

Babsw Sep 11th 2008 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lobby lou (Post 6769018)
my father travels here a lot from uk on lots of meds he just needed a letter from his gp stating what he takes and why and all meds need to be keep in their original boxes and never had a problem xxxtj

went to docs last night and he seemd to think it was quite funny....?
any way he made a copy of everything Mark has on prescription, wrote on it that he was confirming that this was Marks genuine prescription,signed it and stamped it with the surgery's name. Do you think I still need to contact the embassy or just keep this letter with Marks tablets and inhalers( in their boxes) and present them at customs?

Blue Cat Sep 11th 2008 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Babsw (Post 6771753)
went to docs last night and he seemd to think it was quite funny....?
any way he made a copy of everything Mark has on prescription, wrote on it that he was confirming that this was Marks genuine prescription,signed it and stamped it with the surgery's name. Do you think I still need to contact the embassy or just keep this letter with Marks tablets and inhalers( in their boxes) and present them at customs?

if you contact the Embassy they will think you are mad!! honestly you have nothing to worry about :)