Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

travelling with medication

travelling with medication

Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default travelling with medication

We're flying with Emirates to Brisbane in Oct. and have just been checking web site and found all these restrictions on medications,can any one help please.
My son is on a regular prescription for anti-biotics (oxytetracycline,skin condition) and although its not on the list of controlled substances the web site says you can't go by that and you have to contact UAE.Do I have to get in touch with the embassy or what? last thing we need is to get into airport carrying 'drugs'
Am a bit worried by this...
should just mention we are having a 2 nite stop over in case this makes any diff?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:40 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: travelling with medication

Originally Posted by Babsw
We're flying with Emirates to Brisbane in Oct. and have just been checking web site and found all these restrictions on medications,can any one help please.
My son is on a regular prescription for anti-biotics (oxytetracycline,skin condition) and although its not on the list of controlled substances the web site says you can't go by that and you have to contact UAE.Do I have to get in touch with the embassy or what? last thing we need is to get into airport carrying 'drugs'
Am a bit worried by this...
should just mention we are having a 2 nite stop over in case this makes any diff?
Hi Babs,

I suffer from Horton's Syndrome myself (Migraines times a factor 1000) and got an international certificate from my Doctor. I had the "International Certificate of Need" as it's called stamped as real by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Holland at a cost of €12.50. Went to the Saudi Arabian embassy and they where more then helpful, translated it into Arabic and also stamped it as real for no extra costs. Even went to Saudi Arabia with syringes in my briefcase and luggage, no problem. Just reported it to the airline "as needed".

Last edited by Dutchie; Sep 6th 2008 at 4:43 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Hi Babs,

I suffer from Horton's Syndrome myself (Migraines times a factor 1000) and got an international certificate from my Doctor. I had the "International Certificate of Need" as it's called stamped as real by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Holland at a cost of €12.50. Went to the Saudi Arabian embassy and they where more then helpful, translated it into Arabic and also stamped it as real for no extra costs. Even went to Saudi Arabia with syringes in my briefcase and luggage, no problem. Just reported it to the airline "as needed".
cheers, thanks for that.We live a few hundred miles away from the UAE embassy but I'll go see our doc first then ring the embassy to see if i can post it maybe? thanks again tho' for replying and so quick.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

cheers, thanks for that.We live a few hundred miles away from the UAE embassy but I'll go see our doc first then ring the embassy to see if i can post it maybe? thanks again tho' for replying and so quick.
Codeine is banned in most GCC countries by the way, so don't bring any pain killers with that in the ingredients......... even stuff simply bought over the counter at Boots.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
Codeine is banned in most GCC countries by the way, so don't bring any pain killers with that in the ingredients......... even stuff simply bought over the counter at Boots.
i just realised that when i was reading the list.have also just remembered my son's inhalers so will get the doc to certify them as well in case.All this making me a bit nervous now.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:33 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

i just realised that when i was reading the list.have also just remembered my son's inhalers so will get the doc to certify them as well in case.All this making me a bit nervous now.
no need, plenty people here are on asthma medication and oxytet is hardly hard core drugs.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks to every one for your help, just thankful i saw this thread on emirates web site and you were all here to ask!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:04 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Just carry the prescriptions with you for the meds just in case and you be fine
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Just carry the prescriptions with you for the meds just in case and you be fine
I'm not sure how you mean carry the prescription with us-once we get the prescription from the doc and take it to the chemist he keeps it and gives us the tabs.Do you mean the certificate we'll hopefully get from the doc( got an appt. booked for tomorrow)?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how you mean carry the prescription with us-once we get the prescription from the doc and take it to the chemist he keeps it and gives us the tabs.Do you mean the certificate we'll hopefully get from the doc( got an appt. booked for tomorrow)?
get a photocopy of the prescription
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

my father travels here a lot from uk on lots of meds he just needed a letter from his gp stating what he takes and why and all meds need to be keep in their original boxes and never had a problem xxxtj
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lobby lou
my father travels here a lot from uk on lots of meds he just needed a letter from his gp stating what he takes and why and all meds need to be keep in their original boxes and never had a problem xxxtj
went to docs last night and he seemd to think it was quite funny....?
any way he made a copy of everything Mark has on prescription, wrote on it that he was confirming that this was Marks genuine prescription,signed it and stamped it with the surgery's name. Do you think I still need to contact the embassy or just keep this letter with Marks tablets and inhalers( in their boxes) and present them at customs?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:17 pm
Concierge

went to docs last night and he seemd to think it was quite funny....?
any way he made a copy of everything Mark has on prescription, wrote on it that he was confirming that this was Marks genuine prescription,signed it and stamped it with the surgery's name. Do you think I still need to contact the embassy or just keep this letter with Marks tablets and inhalers( in their boxes) and present them at customs?
if you contact the Embassy they will think you are mad!! honestly you have nothing to worry about