Tipping

Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:32 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tipping

It's one of those awkward things. I always leave a little tip at restaurants, etc. even though they include the service charge in most places. I also tip the men at the petrol stations - you know, let them keep the change when it comes to 67 dirhams and you hand over 70. Generous to a T, me.

Anyway, on the radio this morning - you may have heard - they were talking about how these guys at the petrol stations must make a small fortune out of tips. Well, they might, they might not, but then more than one person texted the show to say that they don't actually get the tips - they have to give them to the petrol station owners, and they even get searched as they leave their shifts.

Is this right? If it is, it's absolutely shocking... the lowest of the low... are the companies here really that greedy? I'm never tipping again if it is true.

Old Oct 16th 2006, 7:50 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Tipping

I've heard this too, and I didn't tip at first, but felt bad when other friends did, so felt it was the right thing to do. Afterall these poor guy are almost certainly paid sh1t wages and stand out in the heat all day, what's a few extra dirhams to us to give them for cleaning our windows and filling our car up.

It does make me angry to think these poor guys have to give these extra dirhams to the company. If this IS true, I'll stop giving tips too.

I wonder if anyone can confirm if this is correct?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 8:12 am
W10

Default Re: Tipping

It's Emarat who don't allow them to keep tips. Their trousers don't even have pockets and they've been subjected to strip searches in the past.

The others are ok at the moment. It's why I don't ever fill up at an Emarat station.

On the subject of tipping. My starting point is 20%.

Old Oct 16th 2006, 8:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I tip left, right and centre....(not at Emarat though)
Old Oct 16th 2006, 8:56 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
It's Emarat who don't allow them to keep tips. Their trousers don't even have pockets and they've been subjected to strip searches in the past.

The others are ok at the moment. It's why I don't ever fill up at an Emarat station.

On the subject of tipping. My starting point is 20%.
So - you take the future Mrs W10 to a swanky dinner and the bill is 1,000 Ds - you will slap down another 200 dhs?

I do tip all over the place - but for fear of sounding like Mr Pink - 200 dhs tip!!!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 9:04 am
W10

If you went to the Gordon Ramsey restaurant in Chelsea and the bill was 150 quid, would you tip 15 quid?

I don't eat at the top end restaurants that often because I don't think many of them are that good, but I did go to Verre and I think I tipped Dh150. So perhaps not 20% for high end stuff.

But it's more aimed at the everyday, low end service industry. Taxis, cafes, petrol stations, car wash guy

Old Oct 16th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It's one of those awkward things. I always leave a little tip at restaurants, etc. even though they include the service charge in most places.
Hi Jimmy,
I inquired with a couple of restaurants - the 'service charge' does not go to the waiters/cooks/staff. When I asked (e.g. India Palace, Caesars) why they had a service charge - I was advised this is to cover "maintenance"

I always leave a tip even if the bill includes a "service charge".
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
If you went to the Gordon Ramsey restaurant in Chelsea and the bill was 150 quid, would you tip 15 quid?

I don't eat at the top end restaurants that often because I don't think many of them are that good, but I did go to Verre and I think I tipped Dh150. So perhaps not 20% for high end stuff.

But it's more aimed at the everyday, low end service industry. Taxis, cafes, petrol stations, car wash guy
You TIPPED 150dhs?!?!

why would ya? in all honesty...WHY THE HELL WOULD YA?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 11:13 am