Thoughts on Doha?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

bakerd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thoughts on Doha?

Dear All

I am a London based journalist and am writing a very short piece for a magazine here on expat life in Doha.

Could I share a couple of questions:

(a) Does anyone have an opinions on pros and cons of being an expat in Doha? Is it an expensive or a boring place for example?

(b) Where would you advise new arrivals to live?

All input will be gratefully received.

Best wishes.

David Baker
Financial Times, London
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:27 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Doha?

Originally Posted by bakerd
Dear All

I am a London based journalist and am writing a very short piece for a magazine here on expat life in Doha.

Could I share a couple of questions:

(a) Does anyone have an opinions on pros and cons of being an expat in Doha? Is it an expensive or a boring place for example?

(b) Where would you advise new arrivals to live?

All input will be gratefully received.

Best wishes.

David Baker
Financial Times, London
Doha is fine when u have your family living here. If u r single this place is a bit boring. And at the moment the rent is skyrocketting ... so I would say yes it is exspensive to live. I have lived in a worse place (Kerteh, Malaysia) before, so Doha is like heaven for me. We came from Singapore, but we don't really like it living there.

Living in Doha we can save more money, have a better life style, hubby working shorter hours and have more annual holidays.

What i don't like living here: the heat, the driving and the rudeness of some people.

Not sure about question (b), difficult to say. Every expats arrive in Doha have their own budget for accommodation. You can find a posh villa in a compound for 24.000 riyal a month and you can live in a flat for 5.000 riyal a month.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 6:45 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I dont like Doha......... they r always trying to follow in Dubai's footsteps....

They have the most sand there aswell...... more than Dubai atleast. heh heh

oh and when it rains, Laundry doesnt dry quickly and that is very annoying!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:00 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
I dont like Doha......... they r always trying to follow in Dubai's footsteps....

talking abt laundry not dry quickly when it rains... i think it is also happen in Dubai.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

PMSL, you forgot to mention about the need for electric heaters to keep the cold out of the house!
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:02 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by novita77
talking abt laundry not dry quickly when it rains... i think it is also happen in Dubai.

we all have driers in Dubai. heh heh
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:03 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
PMSL, you forgot to mention about the need for electric heaters to keep the cold out of the house!
another con for Dubai and Doha.......... We need heaters!!!!!! Its too cold without.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:05 pm
semarang

[QUOTE=Face81]we all have driers in Dubai. heh heh

struggling to pay the rent in Doha at the moment... so still have no drier...
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:08 pm
The Oracle

[QUOTE=novita77]
we all have driers in Dubai. heh heh

struggling to pay the rent in Doha at the moment... so still have no drier...

do u know wot song is on the radio just now? PMSL

"yesterday, oh yesterday my troubles seemed so far away, but now they seem like that they're here to stay..... oh I believe in yesterday....."

heh heh

use a hair drier? get the mini novis to help'..... will be fun! :scared:
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:17 pm
semarang

do u know wot song is on the radio just now? PMSL

"yesterday, oh yesterday my troubles seemed so far away, but now they seem like that they're here to stay..... oh I believe in yesterday....."

heh heh

use a hair drier? get the mini novis to help'..... will be fun! :scared:
:scared: my son love to try do try my hair... and ended up the hairbrush tangled on my hair ... :scared:
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:22 pm
The Oracle

:scared: my son love to try do try my hair... and ended up the hairbrush tangled on my hair ... :scared:
so now u can tell him to dry the laundry whenever it rains.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:23 pm
semarang

so now u can tell him to dry the laundry whenever it rains.
i am afraid he might burn my exspensive top...
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:26 pm
The Oracle

i am afraid he might burn my exspensive top...
ok........ u can dry that one in the microwave....... 30 seconds is good for expensive clothes........ it works really well if u fold the wet clothes first........ then when its 'done', u can put it away str8 away. nice, neat and very simple.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:42 pm
semarang

ok........ u can dry that one in the microwave....... 30 seconds is good for expensive clothes........ it works really well if u fold the wet clothes first........ then when its 'done', u can put it away str8 away. nice, neat and very simple.
dont think i would try that
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:44 pm
The Oracle

dont think i would try that
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuwwwwwwwhahahahahahaha :scared: