Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For those who Live in AD

For those who Live in AD

Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Dumpling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those who Live in AD

Currently in Dubai but considering moving to AD. What are the best area's for expats to live? Can anyone recommend schools for me to look at as a starting point (BC primary) Do the schools have extensive waiting list like here? Any info appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Dumpling; Nov 8th 2009 at 12:00 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

kaz lou abu dhabi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those who Live in AD

Depends on what your budget is, do you want a compound or individual areas? We live in Al Mushrif which is a good mix of locals and expats we love it. Far enough out of the city to be able to park etc but good taxi availibility for when we want to go out. British School Abu Dhabi (BISAD) is good, and have spaces (I believe most schools have places at the moment though).
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz lou abu dhabi
Depends on what your budget is, do you want a compound or individual areas? We live in Al Mushrif which is a good mix of locals and expats we love it. Far enough out of the city to be able to park etc but good taxi availibility for when we want to go out. British School Abu Dhabi (BISAD) is good, and have spaces (I believe most schools have places at the moment though).
Is this true? What a difference a year makes!

British School Al Khubairat is the oldest established school in AD - usually difficult to get into. Aldar academies also have The Pearl, Al Yasmina and Al Muna - have heard good things about the Pearl but I know people who couldn't get a place last September - maybe things have changed. Aldar academies have been operating in AD over the last 2 years. BISAD only started operating in AD in September. Good luck with your search - try and post some feedback on here as an update would no doubt be useful for others.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

kaz lou abu dhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, unfortunately a year makes a big difference according to the recent National article
"Abu Dhabi // A year ago, many expatriate parents in the capital struggled to find places for their children at international schools. Waiting lists were long, and top schools turned away hundreds of pupils. This year, more than 2,000 places have been added with the opening of two new schools more than enough supply to meet an apparently shrinking demand"
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:24 am
Account Closed

Dumpling is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Despite managing UK to Dubai with ease, it threw me into a panic when my hubby mentioned moving to AD yesterday.....especially the schools situation. (tore my hair out for months dealing with the frustration of trying to get places for my kids in the same school)
We are going to go for a long weekend to have a look around, I was keen to know some areas to start with as I never been before. We would prefer individual living but really we will live wherever the best schools are!

Can anyone tell me is living in Dubai any different from living in AD? i.e. things to do with young children, costs, is it stricter???? etc

Will certainly up-date if he decides to turn my world upside down again!!!

Thanks again.