Reload this Page >

Thinking of leaving London for Dubai

Thinking of leaving London for Dubai

Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Londongrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of leaving London for Dubai

Hi all

I am new to this forum and need some advice. I live and work in London as a PA to the Director of a worldwide construction company. I have a lot of experience, and also worked in South Africa and the US for many years.
I am 40, single, and looking for a better lifestyle - the London weather and lifestyle does not agree with me! I don't drink, and am pretty much into yoga, fitness, and the outdoors.

The idea of living in Dubai is quite appealing, but upon further research, it appears that the grass isn't always greener. I am thinking of starting my job search (from here) within a year. If there is anyone like me out there who can possibly give me some advice, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks in advance

E
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of leaving London for Dubai

Originally Posted by Londongrl
Hi all

I am new to this forum and need some advice. I live and work in London as a PA to the Director of a worldwide construction company. I have a lot of experience, and also worked in South Africa and the US for many years.
I am 40, single, and looking for a better lifestyle - the London weather and lifestyle does not agree with me! I don't drink, and am pretty much into yoga, fitness, and the outdoors.

The idea of living in Dubai is quite appealing, but upon further research, it appears that the grass isn't always greener. I am thinking of starting my job search (from here) within a year. If there is anyone like me out there who can possibly give me some advice, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks in advance

E
The first question I would ask you is - do you have a degree qualification (in anything?). Most jobs at your level, in fact at anything but the most junior level specify degree holders, however sometimes it is possible to get these jobs without a degree but it's often who you know and not what you know!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:22 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

also, you'll have to get a much better idea of your salary expectation. I'm not entirely sure if you'd be able to get by on only your salary, but until you've looked into it a bit more, then it'll be difficult to say.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a degree, but 20 years experience, and qualifications in PR and Journalism (also doing Philosophy at the moment). I am highly experienced, but not highly educated, unfortunately. But saying that, most PA jobs in London at my level require a degree, and I have been lucky thus far.

Guess there is no harm in trying!

Regards
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a degree, but 20 years experience, and qualifications in PR and Journalism (also doing Philosophy at the moment). I am highly experienced, but not highly educated, unfortunately. But saying that, most PA jobs in London at my level require a degree, and I have been lucky thus far.

Guess there is no harm in trying!

Regards
It's possible to do this without a degree. In AD we paid our (British) EA 20k AED / month, as harsh as this sounds, lebbos doing the same job got about 12k AED and the pinoys around 4k AED.

She resigned as she found a job offering her 25k AED / month. We matched it but that does seem to be about the ceiling. If you are lucky you might be able to push this up to 35k AED if you find a CEO to support.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can live quite comfortably on 20K/month in Dubai and put away plenty of dosh for rainy days.

The trick is finding the PA position that pays 20K+ a month but they do exist. Look at the financial firms in DIFC. A lot of companies seem to have one senior English/Western PA who manages all the other PAs of different nationalities who will make far less.

As for the lifestyle - well, er, it's extroardinarily hot for six months of the year. You can get around it by working out (if it's outdoors) early in the AM or late in the evening. As for the grey and dreary London winters (and spring, and fall and er, even summer), most of the time in Dubai it's not so much blue skies with happy dancy clouds but an intense white glare. I hate the glare and it's one of the reasons I'm leaving.

Gym memberships and training/fitness classes are quite expensive out here. But if you do your own training a lot of the better quality buildings have nicely equipped gyms that are part of the facilities.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:44 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Y

As for the lifestyle - well, er, it's extroardinarily hot for six months of the year. You can get around it by working out (if it's outdoors) early in the AM or late in the evening. As for the grey and dreary London winters (and spring, and fall and er, even summer), most of the time in Dubai it's not so much blue skies with happy dancy clouds but an intense white glare. I hate the glare and it's one of the reasons I'm leaving.
yes, and add to that high winds that whip up the sand and dust, like we've been having for the past 3 or 4 weeks, and so when you go out for a walk, you come back with a coating of grit!

In all honesty, it's starting to heat up here again, so by the end of march we won't be able to have a picnic lunch outside and that until the end of September... and then Jan/Feb are the cloudy/ dusty/ unpredictable months. Endless days of blue sky and sunshine aren't so nice when you're stuck inside!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ethos.

As for the glare, I lived in AZ and loved the desert.

As a South African born and bred, I simply cannot get used to the grey sock that hangs over London for 10 months out of the year, so I would welcome a desert glare!

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Riina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I think you should just go for it! we only live once..about 2 years ago I was doing the same thing - posting on forums etc but in the end i realised that no one was going to be able to answer my questions for me!

So I packed up (having found a job) and moved - I loved it and still do but had to return for family reasons...it can be a bit superficial but if you meet the right people then it's a great experience and you have access to the likes of Oman which is beautiful

Ahhh the memories If anything, it may even make you appreciate Blighty a bit more...we always miss what we no longer have but I still say that it's an experience worth pursuing.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
also, you'll have to get a much better idea of your salary expectation. I'm not entirely sure if you'd be able to get by on only your salary, but until you've looked into it a bit more, then it'll be difficult to say.
Darling, there are lots of single people who manage very well on 1 salary
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:32 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Darling, there are lots of single people who manage very well on 1 salary
surely it depends what the salary is?!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If she's a single woman with no dependents making 20K a month, she will be fine.

She just has to find that job offering 20K a month.

Personally, anything less than 20K isn't worth it.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
surely it depends what the salary is?!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks all again for the responses - it gives me an idea at least of what to expect salarywise.

I will definitely give the idea some serious consideration. Riina - I doubt very much I will miss the UK. It isn't the place for a teetotalling sun-worshipper!

E
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

MikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all again for the responses - it gives me an idea at least of what to expect salarywise.

I will definitely give the idea some serious consideration. Riina - I doubt very much I will miss the UK. It isn't the place for a teetotalling sun-worshipper!

E
Not sure that my gender allows me to post on this particualr thread but have you thought of Oman or Qatar? both are incredibly stable and safe and economies are growing. the cost of living is significantly less than Dubai but its glitz and glamour are a very short and cheap flight away.

Oman is stunning, the weather is better than Dubai in many respects and while there certainly isn't the plethora of restaurants, hotels and associated nightlife its not exactly a bedu encampment either.

I agree with Riina, this life isn't a dress rehearsal - but make sure you have a job to if leaving UK permanently.

If you haven't visited the region try and establish a safe friendship via this site and come and do a cheap visit.

Hope it helps

mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.