Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Sarah31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Hi

Im a new user to the forum, I am a Guidance Advisor currently living in London and desperate to leave! For a number of years now Ive thought about making the move to Dubai as ive heard a number of impressive things about it, however, I really wanted to hear from anyone who is currently out there or anticipates moving there, regarding the subject of teachers?

Ive been advised that there is a large call to teach the English langauge in certain regions of Dubai, and Im still undertaking my own research, however I would be interested to hear from anyone who has direct experience of this.

Additionally, I will be travelling with 2 children and wanted a general opinion of the standard of schools in Dubai, in comparion for example with British schools?

I look forward to hearing from, anyone! ha
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:32 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Hi,
I am a teacher currently going out end of the month to start my new adventure. I teach ICT and will be working at an international school in Dubai.

There is work out their, everyone that I know who wanted a job in Dubai got one! So what level would you be teaching at? Primary or Secondary? You will get more money working for an international school but even that varies and with someone with children you would need to get a position in a higher paying school.

Most school will provide free education for your children mine provides up to 2free places.

In comparision with schools in the UK, I think you cant compare the top end with the top end in the UK accurately on so many counts. It is too subjective, but one thing I can say is that the experience for both the children and yourself is vast.

If there is anything else you wish to know just ask.... others will add theirs I am sure.

PuRe
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Originally Posted by Sarah31
Hi

Im a new user to the forum, I am a Guidance Advisor currently living in London and desperate to leave! For a number of years now Ive thought about making the move to Dubai as ive heard a number of impressive things about it, however, I really wanted to hear from anyone who is currently out there or anticipates moving there, regarding the subject of teachers?

Ive been advised that there is a large call to teach the English langauge in certain regions of Dubai, and Im still undertaking my own research, however I would be interested to hear from anyone who has direct experience of this.

Additionally, I will be travelling with 2 children and wanted a general opinion of the standard of schools in Dubai, in comparion for example with British schools?

I look forward to hearing from, anyone! ha
hiya Sarah, what is a a guidance advisor??

when you say you are travelling with two children will their be a father in tow as well?? I really don't want to pry but things out here can be tricky as a single parent. As a teacher you can sponsor your children but it can take time to get things in place etc.

Hope it all works out
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Hello

Many thanks for both of your replies, much appreciated. Unfortunately, their father wont be able to travel with us, im interested to know what your concerns are regarding this? i was also curious as to what profession you are in geordie, i take it your also a teacher? how does the spondorship work?

Im a guidance advisor who bascially delivers information, advice and guidance to vulnerable members of the community, and assist them in making the transition into training and or employment.

I was happy to teach at either primary and secondary level, i was told that there was a large call to teach the english language and thats what i want to primarily focus on, im not sure if there is much call for this at primary and secondary age?, if not i be would be happy to deliver lessons to adults, regarding the higher wage earning schools, are there any particular you could name?

again thanks for replying, and it would be nice to hear from you once youve settled in dubai and how youve found the transition, also (i know im probably asking too many questions!) i would be interested to know briefly how you applied for and ultimately obtained the position at the school

Sarah31

Last edited by Sarah31; Aug 13th 2007 at 12:53 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya, I am not a teacher but live in the building that houses the GEMS teachers. There are tons of schools out here so I am sure you would get work. No problem. Being a teacher is one of the few professions that will enable you as a woman to be able to sponsor your children. It is a big decision not to be taken lightly. last year a teacher in this building left because her daughter couldn't adjust to her new life here in dubai and was missing her grandparents etc. Also a lady contacted me about six months ago, she was coming with her husband and both of them were teachers. After a lot of number crunching they decided against it, it wasn't viable financially, they had two children, one pre school and one about 6 ish.

There are a few main education groups, do a search. GEMS, BEACON, RAFFLES, there really are tons of schools here!!!!

the package you would be would be approximately this

14,000 a month
Airfares
medical
A 2 bed apartment
and I think with GEMS they pay for the education of the first child but not the second.

Hope all this helps

Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

hi

again, i really want to thank you for all the information youve provided, its really useful and ill add this info to the reseach that im undertaking at the moment, again thank you so much and if i come across anything in my findings i need clarifying on ill let you know if your able to help, finally, how is living in dubai e.g. relaxed, more lucrative, more opportunies etc, im curious as you mentioned that one of the children that were living there found it hard to adjust? i was interested to see if you could suggest what the problems may have been?

again thanks so much for your help

Sarah31

Last edited by Sarah31; Aug 13th 2007 at 1:21 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:34 pm
Concierge

the problem in that instance was the child was missing her grandparents - they used to look after her when her mother was at work. They were living in an apartment and there was no places for her to play etc. I would have said she was about 6???

Give me a shout if you need any more advice. All I can say about Dubai is that isn't the same as it was, but there are still opportunity here. It is expensive and I am not sure how you would cope with two kids - financially and the logistics etc.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

Post Re: Is there really work for teachers/and schools for children?

Hi Sarah, I think I misunderstood you before, to teach English in schools you would need the relevant teaching qualifications and experience.

To teach English to adults, as english is widely spoken within Dubai I dont think there might be enough opportunities to allow you to support the two children and live, let allow afford the accommodation

The sums BC is quoting is also rather optimistic, I was only offered 14k at one school and the others were lower. Some ranging from 7K - 11,800dhs. GEMS will pay up to two children but this is not for all schools.

I was thinking maybe if you applied to an USA school as a guidance counsellor then the teaching experience etc may not be needed, I am unsure of the package offered. Here are some web addresses:

very good school - www.asdubai.org
www.uasdubai.ae
www.dubaiacademy.com

just to name a few

PuRe
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

hi pure

again, i really do appreciate your guidance on this matter, re salaries, i take it your stating that the £14K was per annum and not per month as im naively hoping?!

i will have a look at the websites you forwarded, i may even look into the guidance work in the states, i have been keen to concentrate on dubai, but it may not be as straightforward as i envisaged

Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:43 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

Hi
sorry all numbers are in dirhams(dhs) they campare £1:7.1dhs, so that roughly under £2k per month with no tax.

Ask away, either I can help or others...

PuRe
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks alot pure, anyway i like the sound of no tax so it cant be all bad, again i just need to do some further research, and good luck with your role, it would be nice to know how you found it after a few months, again thanks for the help