Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there anyplace better than Dubai?

Is there anyplace better than Dubai?

Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Joulian is on a distinguished road
Question Is there anyplace better than Dubai?

Hey

Does anyone know of better places to start off than Dubai?

I guess i should perhaps render what it is that i understand about Dubai. Clean, Fast pace, well paid employment-higher than most US and European jobs w/ parallel statis.
better benifits.

Is Singapore, Hong Kong or Tokyo or anyother i have not named better than Dubai???

thanks
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anyplace better than Dubai?

Hard to answer, depends on the work your looking for and the lifestyel, HK is really cool, and so is Tokyo, but both are pretty expensive cities, ok, really expensive cities, but fast paced. Then you have most of the far east like Singapore which have good jobs and lifestyle, especially for the money.
The M.E, as far as I can tell is changing a lot, it's not like the 80's and early 90's when you got shite loads of money and huge benefits, it's more difficult to make a stand there these days because so many people have moved over, accomodation is a major problem, just read the forum....but tax free living still is a major plus
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:06 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Hard to answer, depends on the work your looking for and the lifestyel, HK is really cool, and so is Tokyo, but both are pretty expensive cities, ok, really expensive cities, but fast paced. Then you have most of the far east like Singapore which have good jobs and lifestyle, especially for the money.
The M.E, as far as I can tell is changing a lot, it's not like the 80's and early 90's when you got shite loads of money and huge benefits, it's more difficult to make a stand there these days because so many people have moved over, accomodation is a major problem, just read the forum....but tax free living still is a major plus
have to agree with u there m8. Just one thing though. It is expensive to live in Dubai aswell. Infact, I have been surprised to see that petrol here costs between 70 and 80p a litre, which is almost the dame price we pay in Dubai!

Tax free in the literal sense....... countless numbers of hidden taxes... road toll on every street from next year aswell is one to add to the list.

Accomodation is tough because of competitive pricing. It is hard to get a foot in Dubai's door.

Last edited by Face81; Jan 16th 2005 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Tax free in the literal sense....... countless numbers of hidden taxes... road toll on every street from next year aswell is one to ass to the list.
That's an arse...when my sister lived in both Bahrain and Qatar, the airlines paid for everything, she had free accomodation with maid, included electric, water and the utilities like phone, included taxi and clothes allowance, as well as going out allowance, but then that was in the mid 90's
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:37 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
That's an arse...when my sister lived in both Bahrain and Qatar, the airlines paid for everything, she had free accomodation with maid, included electric, water and the utilities like phone, included taxi and clothes allowance, as well as going out allowance, but then that was in the mid 90's
Wow.. such expat packages are fast becoming a myth here as there are so many people that want to be here,companies no longer need to lure in foreign workers with excessive benefits. Things are different now. u r right.

Oh and that was a nasty typo..... sorry... its L8 and I am sleepy. lol
Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Wow.. such expat packages are fast becoming a myth here as there are so many people that want to be here,companies no longer need to lure in foreign workers with excessive benefits. Things are different now. u r right.
Aye, times change, it's a shame,but it was good while it lasted for some huh
If nothing else though, it's a new experience, and it's in the sun and sand...
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Joulian is on a distinguished road

Where are the CV's posted on this site?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Infact, I have been surprised to see that petrol here costs between 70 and 80p a litre, which is almost the dame price we pay in Dubai!
Don't know where you're getting your petrol from Face! I have the same car here as I did in the UK and it costs in Dirhams what it used to cost in pounds - about 60 for a tank. I know Scotland pays more for fuel (strange considering where the UK energy industry is based, but don't get me started on that one) but even so...

The best packages I've heard of people getting are those transferred by their existing employers, not always by choice, from the UK or elsewhere. Interestingly some energy companies still pay hardship allowance if you're posted to Abu Dhabi but not Dubai.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:14 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

have to agree with u there m8. Just one thing though. It is expensive to live in Dubai aswell. Infact, I have been surprised to see that petrol here costs between 70 and 80p a litre, which is almost the dame price we pay in Dubai!

Tax free in the literal sense....... countless numbers of hidden taxes... road toll on every street from next year aswell is one to add to the list.

Accomodation is tough because of competitive pricing. It is hard to get a foot in Dubai's door.
Face, 70p or 80p a litter is not the same price. It is bloody more exspensive in the UK. The basic pay in the UK i think 4 pound 10 pence an hour, don't tell me the basic pay in Dubai/Middle East is 4 Durham an hour too !!!!

I don't think u can make a comparison 1 durhams equal to 1 poundsterling...
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:15 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bob]That's an arse...when my sister lived in both Bahrain and Qatar, the airlines paid for everything, she had free accomodation with maid, included electric, water and the utilities like phone, included taxi and clothes allowance, as well as going out allowance, but then that was in the mid 90's [/QUOTE

It was very good deal Bob !!! I wish my husband get the same deal like ur sister....
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Joulian
Where are the CV's posted on this site?
They aint', but post one on your own website, handy having one for quick reference...
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by novita77
It was very good deal Bob !!! I wish my husband get the same deal like ur sister....
yeah, I know, she was lucky...but that was the early to mid 90's, first with Gulf Air, and then Qatar airways, she was offered a job with one of the royal families, really good money that, but far more restrictions in the contract, like not being allowed to say where and when they were going, and much shorter notices of flights...
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:22 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Tis true, we get that more or less now, we don't get going out money but we get others, holidays, accom, electric, water, phone, furniture, maids sponsorship, medical etc. But it is slowly being taken away bit by bit....we will fight 'em all the way
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:51 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Tis true, we get that more or less now, we don't get going out money but we get others, holidays, accom, electric, water, phone, furniture, maids sponsorship, medical etc. But it is slowly being taken away bit by bit....we will fight 'em all the way

I dont know about u guys but I cant complain. QA still gives us excellent package. Housing money. Furniture money. Transport money. Great medical insurance for all the family. Schooling. Flights. Discounts at clubs and loads of other perkies. As regards to petrol we used to pay double to what UK pays for petrol, here its dead cheap. Day to day life is still cheaper for us than back home. Just heard they r putting up our housing allowance too now yyiipppeeeeee. And the tax free wage....Geeeeez thats the best.

Maybe u should try Qatar......
Old Jan 17th 2005, 3:54 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
I dont know about u guys but I cant complain. QA still gives us excellent package. Housing money. Furniture money. Transport money. Great medical insurance for all the family. Schooling. Flights. Discounts at clubs and loads of other perkies. As regards to petrol we used to pay double to what UK pays for petrol, here its dead cheap. Day to day life is still cheaper for us than back home. Just heard they r putting up our housing allowance too now yyiipppeeeeee. And the tax free wage....Geeeeez thats the best.

Maybe u should try Qatar......
Morning Malt, lucky you, we hv just had our club allowance taken away but things are up in the air at the moment, we r just about to get eveicted from our villa LOL. Rentals r going up and I refuse to live in a shoe box.....may be time to tell 'em to poke it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.