Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

temporary work in Dubai

temporary work in Dubai

Old Jul 30th 2018, 10:16 am
Just Joined

piggybax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default temporary work in Dubai

Hi Guys, I don't seem to find old posts on this as a standard question, I am new to this forum but will to learn the system.

I have a consultancy practice in the UK and been invited to Dubai to provide government training. I have been told that I can do this under the visit visa as it is only 6 days training and I am from the UK, but it's a bit confusing when I have checked on the internet if I need a temporary work visa?

I do not intend to live in Dubai yet, but will be popping back every 6 weeks to deliver the training for 6 days.

If there is an active post on this subject then please link me to this, thanks for taking the time to read and I would be most grateful if you can post your replies. cheers
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: temporary work in Dubai

Originally Posted by piggybax View Post
Hi Guys, I don't seem to find old posts on this as a standard question, I am new to this forum but will to learn the system.

I have a consultancy practice in the UK and been invited to Dubai to provide government training. I have been told that I can do this under the visit visa as it is only 6 days training and I am from the UK, but it's a bit confusing when I have checked on the internet if I need a temporary work visa?

I do not intend to live in Dubai yet, but will be popping back every 6 weeks to deliver the training for 6 days.

If there is an active post on this subject then please link me to this, thanks for taking the time to read and I would be most grateful if you can post your replies. cheers
Temp workers tend to be Female who are sponsored by their Spouse/Father and the company supplies them with a labor card. I doubt the employer would be able to get you a temp visa for 6 days and as you will be working for the government i doubt you would get reported as the Ministry of Labor are also the government ( if that makes sense)
Old Jul 30th 2018, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

The client is usually responsible for obtaining the work visas for any consultancy work. But in your case you're clearly just a business traveller. You think everyone coming to Dubai for a few days of business has a work permit?

As the client in this case is a government entity you'll be just fine and dandy.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

piggybax is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies, I do know that a lot of different government departments don't get along (Police and RTA for example). so I didn't want to be in the middle and then under scrutiny. I am happy to get a visa just it is not clear as I have been pointed to this website: government.ae/en/information-and-services/visa-and-emirates-id/do-you-need-an-entry-permit-or-a-visa-to-enter-the-uae
and it as I am on a vising visa it clearly says I am not allowed to work using this visa, this was only just updated 26th July 2018. so I am still confused, I will have to write back to the Police and get them to confirm that it is ok for me to do their training on this type of visa

I would appreciate any comments on the above gov website and their requirements
Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Although you will probably be fine in this case, this is becoming more and more an issue in many countries. There are many types of temporary workers, music bands, mediators, employees from other countries visiting branch offices in other countries. Many countries offer "business" visas.. Australia being one such place.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies, I do know that a lot of different government departments don't get along (Police and RTA for example). so I didn't want to be in the middle and then under scrutiny. I am happy to get a visa just it is not clear as I have been pointed to this website: government.ae/en/information-and-services/visa-and-emirates-id/do-you-need-an-entry-permit-or-a-visa-to-enter-the-uae
and it as I am on a vising visa it clearly says I am not allowed to work using this visa, this was only just updated 26th July 2018. so I am still confused, I will have to write back to the Police and get them to confirm that it is ok for me to do their training on this type of visa

I would appreciate any comments on the above gov website and their requirements
Take this up with the company you are going to work for. Thousands work on visit visas whilst they wait for their employment visa to come through ( Yes it is illegal however as long as companies start the process then you are fine)
I have never ( In 12 years of HR and recruitment) heard of any gov employees getting into trouble and the company is fined not you personally. You will not be in trouble
Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:13 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine. I know of loads in that situation - lawyers and bankers do this sort of thing all the time.