Reload this Page >

Taking a big risk?

Taking a big risk?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Taylorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a big risk?

Hi

I live in Switzerland with 2 teenage boys (British/Swiss). I desperately want to get out of here and am wondering what would happen if I just took off for Dubai without Job etc. I know all about Islam etc. etc. I am not the scared type of person, I can work in Mc Donalds if I need to provide food for the family. My Job is as Assistant CEO. Would I be deported? Can I just go there without Job? What are my chances?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 1:36 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

I didnt fully understand your situation, but you could come here on a visit visa and then transfer over to a working visa once you found a suitable job.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philipz
I didnt fully understand your situation, but you could come here on a visit visa and then transfer over to a working visa once you found a suitable job.
You mean I can pack up, take the kids and live somewhere and then start searching for an appartment and job? How long does the visit visa last?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:36 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Taylorz
You mean I can pack up, take the kids and live somewhere and then start searching for an appartment and job? How long does the visit visa last?
I really don't think it is wise to move out there without a job, especially with kids in tow, as you can never be sure how long it would take you to find a job. Also, you'd be struggling to get by with a job at somewhere like McDonald's- that's for sure.

Your visit visa would last 90 days and then you could renew for another 90 at a cost of around 500Dhs. There is talk of the law changing at some point in the near future where you will not be able to change the status of your visa from visit to work without leaving the country for a minimum of 1 month (or could be 3 months -can't remember). This is to crack down on people who enter the country on a visit visa and then start work before the correct paperwork has gone thru.

Dubai is an expensive place to live, especially as you being from Switzerland, you will want a similar lifestyle. Accomodation is v. expensive, as are school fees and healthcare. Good luck whatever you decide, but I really think you'd do better to line up a job before you move out there.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I have been at it a year now and time is just passing. We are at the stage where the little one has to start college, the older should start looking for a job and I am simply fed-up. I don't want to start looking here, yet have nothing looking up in Dubai. It's difficult getting an expat package being a female, as least thats what I am being told

It's always funny to hear someone say "expensive". Healthcare here for me and the two children (lowest category) is approx. 500$ (american) monthly, what are we talking in Dubai?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:26 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Taylorz
Thanks for the info. I have been at it a year now and time is just passing. We are at the stage where the little one has to start college, the older should start looking for a job and I am simply fed-up. I don't want to start looking here, yet have nothing looking up in Dubai. It's difficult getting an expat package being a female, as least thats what I am being told

It's always funny to hear someone say "expensive". Healthcare here for me and the two children (lowest category) is approx. 500$ (american) monthly, what are we talking in Dubai?
I suggest you try this site www.expatwoman.com, it contains loads of information on Dubai...you could also do a keyword search on insurance. You'll find other women who'd be happy to share their experiences of moving to and working in Dubai.