Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taking a big risk?

Taking a big risk?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 11:50 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 14
Taylorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a big risk?

Hi

I live in Switzerland with 2 teenage boys (British/Swiss). I desperately want to get out of here and am wondering what would happen if I just took off for Dubai without Job etc. I know all about Islam etc. etc. I am not the scared type of person, I can work in Mc Donalds if I need to provide food for the family. My Job is as Assistant CEO. Would I be deported? Can I just go there without Job? What are my chances?
Taylorz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 1:36 pm
  #2  
 
philipz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 147
philipz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

I didnt fully understand your situation, but you could come here on a visit visa and then transfer over to a working visa once you found a suitable job.
philipz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:39 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 14
Taylorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

Originally Posted by philipz
I didnt fully understand your situation, but you could come here on a visit visa and then transfer over to a working visa once you found a suitable job.
You mean I can pack up, take the kids and live somewhere and then start searching for an appartment and job? How long does the visit visa last?
Taylorz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:36 pm
  #4  
Simply Brilliant
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

Originally Posted by Taylorz
You mean I can pack up, take the kids and live somewhere and then start searching for an appartment and job? How long does the visit visa last?
I really don't think it is wise to move out there without a job, especially with kids in tow, as you can never be sure how long it would take you to find a job. Also, you'd be struggling to get by with a job at somewhere like McDonald's- that's for sure.

Your visit visa would last 90 days and then you could renew for another 90 at a cost of around 500Dhs. There is talk of the law changing at some point in the near future where you will not be able to change the status of your visa from visit to work without leaving the country for a minimum of 1 month (or could be 3 months -can't remember). This is to crack down on people who enter the country on a visit visa and then start work before the correct paperwork has gone thru.

Dubai is an expensive place to live, especially as you being from Switzerland, you will want a similar lifestyle. Accomodation is v. expensive, as are school fees and healthcare. Good luck whatever you decide, but I really think you'd do better to line up a job before you move out there.
Cherrypie is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:36 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 14
Taylorz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

Thanks for the info. I have been at it a year now and time is just passing. We are at the stage where the little one has to start college, the older should start looking for a job and I am simply fed-up. I don't want to start looking here, yet have nothing looking up in Dubai. It's difficult getting an expat package being a female, as least thats what I am being told

It's always funny to hear someone say "expensive". Healthcare here for me and the two children (lowest category) is approx. 500$ (american) monthly, what are we talking in Dubai?
Taylorz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:26 pm
  #6  
Simply Brilliant
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: UK/Dubai
Posts: 1,064
Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Taking a big risk?

Originally Posted by Taylorz
Thanks for the info. I have been at it a year now and time is just passing. We are at the stage where the little one has to start college, the older should start looking for a job and I am simply fed-up. I don't want to start looking here, yet have nothing looking up in Dubai. It's difficult getting an expat package being a female, as least thats what I am being told

It's always funny to hear someone say "expensive". Healthcare here for me and the two children (lowest category) is approx. 500$ (american) monthly, what are we talking in Dubai?
I suggest you try this site www.expatwoman.com, it contains loads of information on Dubai...you could also do a keyword search on insurance. You'll find other women who'd be happy to share their experiences of moving to and working in Dubai.
Cherrypie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.