Syria...

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:17 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Syria...

Is the Syria issue giving anyone the jitters in the area??
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Syria...

Originally Posted by P18PPS
What issue?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:15 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
No. The only people who it would be are those British expats living in Turkey and Lebanon. Oh, and the Israelis.

Seeing as how 95 per cent of people on here live in the Gulf – the majority in Dubai and Abu Dhabi – it's like asking did Brits in London feel in danger from the war in Yugoslavia. In fact, the distance from the UAE to most of the hot spots in Syria is actually further than what it was from London to the hotspots in Yugoslavia.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Why is Russia considered such an authority on the issue? Whenever they discuss Syria on the news, they always refer to what Russia thinks.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Why is Russia considered such an authority on the issue? Whenever they discuss Syria on the news, they always refer to what Russia thinks.
May be wrong but doesn't it come down to NATO or the UN and Russia have veto voting power and they don't want outside intervention?

Maybe they are flogging weapons and don't want it to stop.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
The Russians don't want the Yanks to have anymore market share in the region .
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

They (The Ruskies) , by there own addmission sell over 1 Billion USD in arms a year to Syria. They also have a naval base in the Med based in Syria and don't want to lose either.

Yanks are scared that they will have three big states on the Med controled by Islamic parties. The US want democracy but not if the result is wrong
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:43 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

whenever Syria is mentioned, so to is Russia and Iran funding the government and then Qatar and Saudi funding the rebels....
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Syria, Lybia, Iran and Egypt taken off our list of countries we sell to next year. I now offically dont give a crap, knock yourselves out lads.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
They (The Ruskies) , by there own addmission sell over 1 Billion USD in arms a year to Syria. They also have a naval base in the Med based in Syria and don't want to lose either.

Yanks are scared that they will have three big states on the Med controled by Islamic parties. The US want democracy but not if the result is wrong
If they want US Democracy they can start by insisting on a secular constitution...

...the USA is a Republic by the way, not a Democracy.

N.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

What is happening in Syria is the Arab Spring, similar to what happened in Egypt, Tunisia and Lybia. Whether they will be successful in over throwing the regime remains to be seen. The Syrian regime is powerful and ruthless and they appear to be holding on well. Outside parties such as the USA and EU are not willing to intervene. The situation in Syria has no parallels to the Gulf politically and there are no oppressed people in the Gulf that would want to overthrow the rulers. In Bahrain, it is a bit different, but again there it is not a deomcracy movement, there it is a Shia/Sunni situation. So to answer the OP's question - No I see no reason at all why the Syrian uprising should have any impact on the Gulf political situation.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:33 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If they want US Democracy they can start by insisting on a secular constitution...

...the USA is a Republic by the way, not a Democracy.

N.
Can you explain what that means? As I have failed to find any Americans who can.

It is one of those trite little sayings I often hear, but get quizzical expressions when I ask about it.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:47 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Can you explain what that means? As I have failed to find any Americans who can.

It is one of those trite little sayings I often hear, but get quizzical expressions when I ask about it.
Are you asking the difference between a Republic and a Democracy? That is pretty straightforward.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:22 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Are you asking the difference between a Republic and a Democracy? That is pretty straightforward.
I think I understand the common modern meaning of democracy and republic. America is both a Republic and a Democracy. The only way the phrase 'America is a Republic and not a Democracy' makes any sense is for the words to be more tightly defined; with democracy being a free for all with no constitution or representation, who uses democracy like that?

If I was to be pedantic I would say America is a polyarchy, but in day to day discourse I would never refer to it as such, so what I do not understand is why so many Americans insist on using such tightly defined definitions, which seems to go against daily definitions of those words. It seems to be most strongly expressed by those who seem to put most faith in the constitution, and I fail to understand their political motive. Especially as I say, when questioned they are not able to give me any convincing arguments.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I think I understand the common modern meaning of democracy and republic. America is both a Republic and a Democracy. The only way the phrase 'America is a Republic and not a Democracy' makes any sense is for the words to be more tightly defined; with democracy being a free for all with no constitution or representation, who uses democracy like that?

If I was to be pedantic I would say America is a polyarchy, but in day to day discourse I would never refer to it as such, so what I do not understand is why so many Americans insist on using such tightly defined definitions, which seems to go against daily definitions of those words. It seems to be most strongly expressed by those who seem to put most faith in the constitution, and I fail to understand their political motive. Especially as I say, when questioned they are not able to give me any convincing arguments.
First paragraph I agree. On the second an interesting and lengthy discussion would follow. Probably not the best thread for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.