Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for free bank transfers from the UAE to the UK

Suggestions for free bank transfers from the UAE to the UK

Old Aug 21st 2021, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Expat in UAE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions for free bank transfers from the UAE to the UK

Hello, I have my bank account with ADCB in UAE and had the provision for free bank transfers to the UK, however, when I actually transferred money, I was charged over 100 UAE Dirham and was told it was because of the intermediate bank involved. I am now considering changing my bank with the possibility of a free bank transfer from the UAE to the UK. Any suggestions/banks in the UAE that could offer free bank transfers? I am with HSBC in the UK. Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2021, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for free bank transfers from the UAE to the UK

HSBC offers Global Transfers which are basically instant transfers to another HSBC account in your name (and possibly in someone else's name too - I've not tried), with no transfer fee. That's basically the reason I picked them when I moved here.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with HSBC and do shift money back to HSBC in the UK but I also now use Wise (TransferWise) and Revolut, it’s fairly easy to research whether either of these would fit your circumstances. You really need to factor in the exchange rate as well as the 100aed fee because a zero fee doesn’t always mean a free transfer.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

True, but unless you're transferring 100s of thousands of dirhams the difference in exchange rates is probably only going to be worth a few tens of pounds. And if you're transferring 100s of thousands of dirhams, a few tens of pounds is hardly here or there.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
True, but unless you're transferring 100s of thousands of dirhams the difference in exchange rates is probably only going to be worth a few tens of pounds. And if you're transferring 100s of thousands of dirhams, a few tens of pounds is hardly here or there.
True but the OP posted because they are concerned about 100aed ……. On a similar topic my elderly mother moves £1000 a month from HSBC to an EU bank, which I now do for her via Wise and a combination of fees and exchange rate it saves around 40 euros a month. A few tens of pounds soon adds up.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

It may be worth noting that if you make large transfers with HSBC you can also negotiate a better FX rate.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Expat in UAE is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks for useful suggestions. I am now considering opening up an account with HSBC in UAE and it looks by far the best option to avoid bank transfer fees because I will be transferring to my account in HSBC back in the UK.