Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Student loans - UK University

Student loans - UK University

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice
Default Student loans - UK University

Hi guys, first to thank you for all the stupid questions I have asked in last few weeks, here is another though We are moving to AD in July, daughter will come out with us to do her Alevels for 2 years, then may take gap year, probably, then come back to UK to do Uni in 2014.

I am fairly sure we will have to pay overseas fees for her won't we? i read lots saying there are ways around it but i can't see how sadly.

We will be keeping a house in UK and I will be doing some work from home in AD but being paid in uk so i will be paying taxes NI etc.

My question is - will daughter be able to apply for a student loan here in uk to get her through uni if she has been out of UK temporarily for three years? We really need her to be able to get the cheap loan rate to put her through uni, otherwise our move may well not be viable with increased uni fees

Anyone know anything or have child who has come back and successfully got student loan?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student loans - UK University

No idea about the loan, ring the SLC?

Couldn't she just stay in the UK to finish school, or not go a gap year?

The way around the residence thing is if your company posted you on a temporary expat posting and you could show it was going to be x years long maximum. Problem is, and I don't know if this applies to the ME, but if you get any kind of permanent visa that isn't a work visa, you'd be out of luck....and taking on a new job too.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

SLC said no idea what happening from next year, can't commit to 3 years time. I want her in ME with us, so can't stay here no, it permanent contract there. many thanks for your help
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:46 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabsy
SLC said no idea what happening from next year, can't commit to 3 years time. I want her in ME with us, so can't stay here no, it permanent contract there. many thanks for your help
Right, speaking from experience here... the cut-off for anything student loaney is that you need to have been in the UK for the 3 years prior to you starting Uni.

I wasn't able to get a loan, having been out for 7 years prior, but did get EU fees, 'cos I'd been living in France. HOWEVER... you still have a property in the UK. Stay registered with your Dr there and just use that address as home address - hey presto! Your daughter will have only been out of the UK on extended holidays and will therefore qualify for the loan and UK fees. Simples.

I've sent you a pm, by the way.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Feb 4th 2011 at 4:56 am.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, first to thank you for all the stupid questions I have asked in last few weeks, here is another though We are moving to AD in July, daughter will come out with us to do her Alevels for 2 years, then may take gap year, probably, then come back to UK to do Uni in 2014.

I am fairly sure we will have to pay overseas fees for her won't we? i read lots saying there are ways around it but i can't see how sadly.

We will be keeping a house in UK and I will be doing some work from home in AD but being paid in uk so i will be paying taxes NI etc.

My question is - will daughter be able to apply for a student loan here in uk to get her through uni if she has been out of UK temporarily for three years? We really need her to be able to get the cheap loan rate to put her through uni, otherwise our move may well not be viable with increased uni fees

Anyone know anything or have child who has come back and successfully got student loan?
My daughter is at university, and my son is a boarder at a UK school, but my wife never 'left' the UK, so neither we nor the kids were ever regarded as overseas, but you are taking your child out of the UK, so I think you're in trouble............ sorry.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
My daughter is at university, and my son is a boarder at a UK school, but my wife never 'left' the UK, so neither we nor the kids were ever regarded as overseas, but you are taking your child out of the UK, so I think you're in trouble............ sorry.
.......... so send her to a UK boarding school - trust me, she will love it.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

she already at uk boarding school, does love it totally, but ready for a change now.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

she already at uk boarding school, does love it totally, but ready for a change now.
i wouldn't bring her out here for a levels then..especially if you want her to get into a decent uni in the uk...

MM, xx
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A change?? But sixth-form is when boarding is the most fun................
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

exactly!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I would check the contract - temporary would be more appropriate for UAE due to visa rules etc.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you get on with the tax situation if you were never regarded as overseas. I am interested in this senario as we are thinking about going back to UK for secondary schooling while my husband continues working in the ME region for a couple of years.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:35 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
So how do you get on with the tax situation if you were never regarded as overseas. I am interested in this senario as we are thinking about going back to UK for secondary schooling while my husband continues working in the ME region for a couple of years.
you and your husband are considered different entities for tax purposes - you would become permanently resident again, but not him. Dunno how The Dean can still be UK resident and not pay taxes though...
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
you and your husband are considered different entities for tax purposes - you would become permanently resident again, but not him. Dunno how The Dean can still be UK resident and not pay taxes though...
My wife and I have different residential statuses (if that's a word?).

I'm not UK resident - I've been living full-time in this region non-stop since 2005, and before that at various times since 1992. I rarely visit the UK.

My wife is UK resident (a very common arrangement), and visits me in Dubai occasionally. She pays tax on her various bits of income (interest from savings account, etc). There's no 'tax dodge' involved - the nice Mr Taxman knows about us and is happy with the situation.

I didn't make that clear - sorry.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have an interesting marriage, Dean. My father was a banker and we moved continents a few times, but my mother always followed him. My sister and I spent more of out childhood apart from them than they did from each other. I think the longest they've been apart is ten days at a time....in almost 40 years of marriage.

My wife and I have different residential statuses (if that's a word?).

I'm not UK resident - I've been living full-time in this region non-stop since 2005, and before that at various times since 1992. I rarely visit the UK.

My wife is UK resident (a very common arrangement), and visits me in Dubai occasionally. She pays tax on her various bits of income (interest from savings account, etc). There's no 'tax dodge' involved - the nice Mr Taxman knows about us and is happy with the situation.

I didn't make that clear - sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.