Reload this Page >

State Security stop Human Rights Watch Conference in Dubai

State Security stop Human Rights Watch Conference in Dubai

Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:08 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default State Security stop Human Rights Watch Conference in Dubai

Dunno whether you follow @Ahmed_Mansoor on twitter, if not let me "retweet" so to speak.

1-The story of HRW press conference which was held today in Dubai before the intervention of the State Security to stop it. #uae #hrw

2-The Conference started as usual, like every year, at 11 am. HRW team started talking about the report, which focused this year.

3-on the deterioration of freedom of expression & opinion,repression & arrests of activists & the revocation of their citizenship.

4-and the restrictions on the work of civil society associations and disbanding their elected Boards of Directors.

5-After finishing their talk about the report, HRW team opened the floor for questions.

6-The attendees, including HRW team, noticed the presence of 2 Egyptians and one Sudanese individuals who identified themselves as

7-human rights activists and independent lawyers. The three individuals tried to disturb and sabotage the conference..

8-by attacking the report & the work of the organization with some clamor and worthless comments.The audience knows this technique

9-..very well; the three individuals were sent by the State Security for this purpose.

10-HRW has seen this method before in several countries, and it's of no secrete to media and people either..

11-Al-Jazeera among other media channels and agencies was there.

12-When the three individuals failed to achieve their goals due to weak & superficial arguments, with the floor knowing the game.

13-it seems that they called State Security team that was primed to enter. Four people then entered wearing civilian clothes.

14-They arrived very much at the closing of the Q&A session, asked the members of HRW organization to present a permission for.

15-..for the seminar. HRW members responded, telling them that they did everything that they r aware of to be done for such events.

16-similar to previous years. They provided all the required documents to the hotel as usual and

17-they informed the UAE authorities about the conference as well. They, HRW team, further asked if there is anything further they.

18-...., they were told no!

19-HRW team asked the four individuals to show their IDs, all except one, said they forgot them in their cars.

20-One of them presented an ID issued by the Economic Department, while another said they belong to the "Ministry of the license!".

21-The Security personnel told the organizers and the attendees that they are ending the conference. The conference was ended, but

22-..the press remained in place and held some interviews with the audience.

23-Ironically,Human Rights Watch started the conference by thanking the UAE for allowing them 2 hold the conference in the country

24-indicating that more repressive countries do not allow them to do so,but the intervention of the State Security spoiled it all!

25-when ppl started leaving the place, the 2 Egyptians and the Sudanese were seen with the security personnel behind the building!

26-There was press coverage of this event, and we will soon see the reports coming out.

27-This incident exemplifies the actual reality of the situation in the UAE!
Free speech in the UAE? I don't think so.

HRW was critical of the UAE in a report (think Fforbes?) and because of that State Security tried to disrupt their legal conference.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kix; Jan 25th 2012 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:34 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Default Re: State Security stop Human Rights Watch Conference in Dubai

From Reuters:-

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...20125?irpc=932

(Reuters) - Human Rights Watch accused the United Arab Emirates of cracking down on freedom of expression, during a news conference on Wednesday which was disrupted by men who claimed to be UAE officials and demanded the rights group end its presentation.

The UAE, which includes the emirates of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, has avoided the kind of pro-democracy demonstrations that have rocked Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Bahrain and Syria, partly thanks to its cradle-to-grave welfare system.

But it has tolerated little dissent during the regional upheaval, trying and sentencing at least five pro-reform activists and stripping the citizenship of another seven last year on charges that they represent a threat to state security.

It also disbanded the elected boards of two of the UAE's most prominent civil society groups, Human Rights Watch said.

"Unfortunately, we saw last year that the United Arab Emirates decided to suppress freedom of expression in the country by harassing and trying a number of activists, and by attempting to limit freedom of association in the country," HRW'S deputy Middle East head Nadim Houry told the conference.

Subsequently a group of men dressed in traditional Emirati clothing burst into the conference and demanded it end because Human Rights Watch did not have a permit to host such an event.

Attendees heard the men identify themselves as officials of the Ministry of Economy. They flashed an identification card, HRW researcher Samer Muscati, one of the conference's organizers, told Reuters, but they could not see it long enough to determine who had issued it.

"We speculate that these guys are not who they claim to be. They seem to be state security, not from the Ministry of Economy," he said.

Officials of the UAE Interior Ministry and the Dubai government's press office declined to comment on the identity of the men, in response to queries about the incident.

At least three of the Emirati nationals who had their citizenship revoked were present at the conference. They said the government had revoked their citizenship because they were calling for reform and were members of an Islamist organization that had been registered with the government for decades.

The UAE has said the men had originally had the nationality of other countries, and had committed "acts threatening the national security of the UAE," saying some of the men had "connections with suspicious terrorism financing organizations."

"It's ironic that this happened as we were highlighting the issue of freedom of speech," Muscati said. "This incident shows us how much pressure local activists must feel trying to challenge the government on freedom of expression."

The group said it would seek an explanation of the incidents from UAE Prime Minister and Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, and called on the UAE to cease harassment of activists.

"We know that the UAE government has global ambitions and wants to be a global player," Houry said.

"But at the same time, it cannot achieve that ambition if it's going to detain activists, disband organizations, and arbitrarily take away citizenships."
One thing I've noticed, is that the people of British Expats don't give a flying **** about how their government abuses human rights, all they're bothered about is the $$$$

Sad ain't ya really.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

One thing I've noticed, is that the people of British Expats don't give a flying **** about how their government abuses human rights, all they're bothered about is the $$$$

Sad ain't ya really.
The clue is in the title "British expats" darling...this is not our government
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Sad ain't ya really.
Of course we're bothered about the money , why on earth do you think we're here ?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the rest of you on here are limp bloody parasites. I've come here with the express intention of ensuring that democracy prevails, freedom of speech and association are inalienable rights, unfair discrimination of all kind is outlawed and never practiced, and internationally-accepted human rights are guaranteed.

I don't give a toss about my freedom, my job, the need to earn a living and supporting my family.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Patsy - I have a "Resident Visa" here....... the UK taxman accepts that I am "not ordinarily resident" in the UK.

If the UAE government isn't "my" government - who is??
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:02 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Patsy - I have a "Resident Visa" here....... the UK taxman accepts that I am "not ordinarily resident" in the UK.

If the UAE government isn't "my" government - who is??
It is not your government in the same way that an immigrant residing temporarily in the UK has no rights to influence HM's Government. I think you could even extend that argument to immigrants residing in the UK who have permanent right of abode--they still won't have the right to vote.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:06 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
So you bury your head in the sand (there's plenty of it) and ignore everything that's happening with the country you currently reside on, and just carry on getting pissed every weekend and waking up in bed with strangers you pulled from the night before.

Nice.

Ethics and scruples of a gutter rat.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
So you bury your head in the sand (there's plenty of it) and ignore everything that's happening with the country you currently reside on, and just carry on getting pissed every weekend and waking up in bed with strangers you pulled from the night before.

Nice.

Can I ask what you did about it when you lived here?

Do you buy any products made in China?

Do you own a car that uses non-renewable based oils?

You are no better my friend.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Nice.

That is very rude and uncalled for.

One could argue that it isn't really anyone's governement as this isn't a democracy. No one really chooses their leaders here.

Expats cannot change the laws here, but we can act decently and not sink to the level that many do.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix

Sad ain't ya really.

That is a ridiculous assumption. Posting about something on a message board doesn't make anyone more caring than another. You have no idea what people do privately.

You just seem like another very bitter unsatisfied poster.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kix

Nice.

Some countries make it utterly clear when you get a residence permit NOT to engage in political activities. I've lived in my fair share under countries with oppressive regimes..but it's not my fight. I don't believe in foreign intervention. If you so wish to do something, offer up a supporting role..don't get involved in political activity.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:27 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Meow
Expats cannot change the laws here, but we can act decently and not sink to the level that many do.
that's exactly what I meant.

Originally Posted by Meow
just seem like another very bitter unsatisfied poster.
Far from it, I work throughout the ME region, Kuwait/Qatar/Saudi/Oman/UAE/Bahrain while operating out of the EC and the antics of the expats (mainly British (as am I)), esp on weekends makes me sad to be English.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:40 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Kix

Far from it, I work throughout the ME region, Kuwait/Qatar/Saudi/Oman/UAE/Bahrain while operating out of the EC and the antics of the expats (mainly British (as am I)), esp on weekends makes me sad to be English.
Then you have the wrong group of friends.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kix
operating out of the EC and the antics of the expats (mainly British (as am I)), esp on weekends makes me sad to be English.
And this is why nationalism is so flawed...identifying with a group of people due to their passport and common place of birth..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.