Reload this Page >

Starting work in Dubai

Starting work in Dubai

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

adarshdesai24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting work in Dubai

Hi,

I have received an offer letter to start work in Dubai. It's a 12 month contract in the IT domain. The consulting company is recruiting me and the end client is a bank in Dubai.

Fearing Covid travel restrictions and travel bans, the company is asking me to enter the country with a Visa On Arrival stamp on my British Passport.

They have said that they will process the work visa after arriving.

I find this dodgy and don't want to break the law, I have clearly mentioned that I do not want to start work with a 30 day visa on arrival. Any suggestions? Is it common to enter Dubai and then start the work and then apply for a work visa?

Thanks.
Old Dec 24th 2020, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting work in Dubai

Originally Posted by adarshdesai24
Hi,

I have received an offer letter to start work in Dubai. It's a 12 month contract in the IT domain. The consulting company is recruiting me and the end client is a bank in Dubai.

Fearing Covid travel restrictions and travel bans, the company is asking me to enter the country with a Visa On Arrival stamp on my British Passport.

They have said that they will process the work visa after arriving.

I find this dodgy and don't want to break the law, I have clearly mentioned that I do not want to start work with a 30 day visa on arrival. Any suggestions? Is it common to enter Dubai and then start the work and then apply for a work visa?

Thanks.
I'll give you some made up stats, what they offering is probably how;

70% of the people start work in the UAE.
5% of the people on this (very privileged and biased) forum started work in the UAE
100% of the people that get screwed by their future "employer" started work in the UAE

You choose what box you want to be in

Really they should be inviting you on an employment visa... if you come as a tourist you run the risk of them not paying you, and after a few months not giving you a visa and telling you to do one. At that point you'd have no recourse.

Old Dec 24th 2020, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'll give you some made up stats, what they offering is probably how;

70% of the people start work in the UAE.
5% of the people on this (very privileged and biased) forum started work in the UAE
100% of the people that get screwed by their future "employer" started work in the UAE

You choose what box you want to be in

Really they should be inviting you on an employment visa... if you come as a tourist you run the risk of them not paying you, and after a few months not giving you a visa and telling you to do one. At that point you'd have no recourse.

what he said. I wouldn’t take that risk, this place can be a bit rogue irrespective of the size/reputation of the firm.

Old Dec 25th 2020, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Did they ask you to pay for the ticket and tell you they would refund you ? if so, the alarm bells should go DING-A-LING. Remember that the old name for this area was "The Trucial Coast" and before that - "The Pirate Coast"