British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Springs/Green Community - Confused- Where to Live 4 Family Life ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/springs-green-community-confused-where-live-4-family-life-625496/)

jimmy.guilfoyle Aug 14th 2009 4:52 am

Springs/Green Community - Confused- Where to Live 4 Family Life !

Hi Everyone

Im in Dubai just now and I have been very fortunate for the last 3 months to be living with a friends who lives on the Arabian Ranches (Al Reem 2)

Ive been free-lancing while they (Company) sort my Job offer out.

Its nearly sorted so a move to Dubai looks on the cards.

So as I say, all Ive seen of these expat communities is the Arabian ranches which is very very nice for families and not walkable to Le Marchet from Al Reem2.

I have a 2 year old daughter so family living is very very important.

Now where else would you recommend living in Dubai from a family perspective?

Ive heard the Green Community is much nicer, greener , walkable distance to local community shops etc.

This (local shop access) may be important for a settling in period from my wife's perspective as I dont want her to be couped up in the house while I'm in the office,of course she will have a car , but can you remember your 1st month in Dubai...scary

What about the springs or emirate hills?

I do like the Ranches but is there more to life than the ranches?

We will need a 3 bed villa and I plan on driving around these places to see what they have to offer now that things look a little more certain.

I would appreciate if anyone can offer their opinion from a family perspective on some of the other places to live.

Many thanks

Jimmy

Jim Smith Aug 14th 2009 7:42 am

Re: Springs/Green Community - Confused- Where to Live 4 Family Life !

[QUOTE=jimmy.guilfoyle;7842267]Hi Everyone

Im in Dubai just now and I have been very fortunate for the last 3 months to be living with a friends who lives on the Arabian Ranches (Al Reem 2)

Seems to me you should get out more and do some ground work on potential areas.

Thats what I did mny years ago!

jimmy.guilfoyle Aug 14th 2009 4:27 pm

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;7842541]

Originally Posted by jimmy.guilfoyle (Post 7842267)
Hi Everyone

Seems to me you should get out more and do some ground work on potential areas.

Thats what I did mny years ago!

Jim - Forums are for asking for advice opinions etc.

Thats what I have done. If you have nothing usefull to add then dont waste your time talking fekin nonsense.

Does anyone have any sensible comments apart from the obvious that I need to go looking around which tells me nothing apart from "it looks like a nice area"

Thanks

Jimmy

TGFKASE Aug 14th 2009 4:46 pm

Come on, Jimmy, be fair. If you had not arrived here yet, you may have had a few more constructive posts to help you out.....

But you have been here over 3 months, commuting back and fore to AR.. You never once thought about having a wee drive around Springs / Meadows area to have a look for yourself?

I was going to say they are ok, but you obviously want someone to do way more investigating on your behalf for you....

jimmy.guilfoyle Aug 15th 2009 4:25 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7843703)
Come on, Jimmy, be fair. If you had not arrived here yet, you may have had a few more constructive posts to help you out.....

But you have been here over 3 months, commuting back and fore to AR.. You never once thought about having a wee drive around Springs / Meadows area to have a look for yourself?

I was going to say they are ok, but you obviously want someone to do way more investigating on your behalf for you....

Fairpoint maybe I was a bit harsh on Jim-

I am now going to drive around but I wasnt/couldnt commit any time as my company were dragging their heels on my contract and to be honest Ive been working 12/14hr days (sometimes more) and sometimes 7 days per week (Thats Dubai Metro for you) and the last thing I wanted to do when I did have time off was drive around.

Many thanks for the advice ... sort off :-)

RedRoar75 Aug 19th 2009 1:20 pm

Hi there - am in a similar position to yours. Am here, waiting for wife and kids to come over and doing some scouting. Have made it out to the Greens/Springs and even Mirdiff (which I loved - but just to far out at the moment - maybe next year, once wife knows here way around and what she likes). I havent actually signed anything yet - waiting for visa - but I'd have to say, I preferred The Greens to The Springs (I really hoped I wouldnt and that people were wrong about the Springs being small/poky/poorly constructed - they were right, i think). The Greens just feels like a really nice, safe environment with lovely internal pool/lake views.

I'm almost decided on The Greens but am goign to take a look at JBR and DM - as have heard lots of good things about them (but we have 2 v young kids, so will prob go for the safer, Greens option)

Best of luck

Poitin Aug 19th 2009 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by RedRoar75 (Post 7856865)
Hi there - am in a similar position to yours. Am here, waiting for wife and kids to come over and doing some scouting. Have made it out to the Greens/Springs and even Mirdiff (which I loved - but just to far out at the moment - maybe next year, once wife knows here way around and what she likes). I havent actually signed anything yet - waiting for visa - but I'd have to say, I preferred The Greens to The Springs (I really hoped I wouldnt and that people were wrong about the Springs being small/poky/poorly constructed - they were right, i think). The Greens just feels like a really nice, safe environment with lovely internal pool/lake views.

I'm almost decided on The Greens but am goign to take a look at JBR and DM - as have heard lots of good things about them (but we have 2 v young kids, so will prob go for the safer, Greens option)

Best of luck

Do you mean Green Community? No lakes at Greens - not that I'm aware off.
Green community is difficulty to get out off with high traffic volumes at peak times.

RedRoar75 Aug 20th 2009 8:53 am

I do mean greens. Travo tower (internal view) - has a view across the pool and there is a lake behind it..... i swear :)

RedRoar75 Aug 20th 2009 8:54 am

or maybe a canal... but water anyway....

Poitin Aug 20th 2009 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by RedRoar75 (Post 7859580)
I do mean greens. Travo tower (internal view) - has a view across the pool and there is a lake behind it..... i swear :)

gosh - must have a look:)

I think with 2 young kids it will be pretty easy for your wife to met people - so I'd say anywhere would suit where people have young kids(play areas & pool a must).

We live in the (poorly constructed;)) springs - but the kids are 10 & 8 - they cycle around the lake and we have a park & pool nearby. They have a few friends in area - but we lost a lot of neighbours recently - but lots of new ones have been coming in. I feel its safe enough for them - they obviously aren't allowed anywhere near the main roads.

good luck

commander Aug 20th 2009 1:10 pm

Emirates Hills is mega mega expensive.

Mind you, if you bothered to go there for a look, it would become apparent.

RedRoar75 Aug 20th 2009 1:48 pm

haha. he has a point.

The Dean Aug 21st 2009 4:04 am

Emirates Hills? The Springs? The Green Community?

Have you seen that movie "The Truman Show"? :(