Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring a maid (who is on a cancelled visa)

Sponsoring a maid (who is on a cancelled visa)

Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:22 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsoring a maid (who is on a cancelled visa)

We finally decided that we need a maid. Not having a maid once you've become accustomed is harder than giving up smoking!

Anyway the wife has been busy interviewing over the last couple of weeks. She's met plenty of crazy and a few that we had a good think about, but today we met with one that we want to hire. Good stuff! Problem is she's currently working for an Arab family (she's been with them for 7 years apparently) and they refused to allow her to transfer to another sponsor so they cancelled her residence visa when she gave them notice. Personally I would like to go round to their house and kick him in the nuggets, but that's not going to help...

So she's currently on a 30 days visit visa and will likely be made to leave the country in about a week. Now, the thing is she doesn't want to go back to the Philippines but I guess she needs to exit regardless so that we can then apply for a new visa for her.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Can she just go to Oman for example and then come straight back and we apply for a visa for her while she is in the country on a visit visa?

I'm going to ask my PRO on Sunday, but thought I would pose the question to all of you..
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring a maid (who is on a cancelled visa)

Originally Posted by norsk
We finally decided that we need a maid. Not having a maid once you've become accustomed is harder than giving up smoking!

Anyway the wife has been busy interviewing over the last couple of weeks. She's met plenty of crazy and a few that we had a good think about, but today we met with one that we want to hire. Good stuff! Problem is she's currently working for an Arab family (she's been with them for 7 years apparently) and they refused to allow her to transfer to another sponsor so they cancelled her residence visa when she gave them notice. Personally I would like to go round to their house and kick him in the nuggets, but that's not going to help...

So she's currently on a 30 days visit visa and will likely be made to leave the country in about a week. Now, the thing is she doesn't want to go back to the Philippines but I guess she needs to exit regardless so that we can then apply for a new visa for her.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Can she just go to Oman for example and then come straight back and we apply for a visa for her while she is in the country on a visit visa?

I'm going to ask my PRO on Sunday, but thought I would pose the question to all of you..
I'm not sure she has to exit. We cancelled our PA's (Pinoy Assistant) residence visa (no ban) and "re-employed" her on a new visa when I changed jobs. I paid the man 500dibs for her to stay in the country.

I'm sure doing a visa run to Oman is not as easy as you may think - she doesn't get visa on arrival like us in Oman. While I was doing visa runs my PRO told me to keep her here and accrue the daily fines for her (they aren't very big anyway) and it was easier.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I'm sure doing a visa run to Oman is not as easy as you may think - she doesn't get visa on arrival like us in Oman. While I was doing visa runs my PRO told me to keep her here and accrue the daily fines for her (they aren't very big anyway) and it was easier.

But they don't need to go through immigration.....We sent our girl on the roundabout Oman flight, when they landed in Muscat she got off the flight and straight to the transfer desk and then back on the return flight to AD.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:19 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm not sure she has to exit. We cancelled our PA's (Pinoy Assistant) residence visa (no ban) and "re-employed" her on a new visa when I changed jobs. I paid the man 500dibs for her to stay in the country.

It would be awesome if this was possible and save me a lot of hassle, but like Oy (sorry mate I can't spell your name to save my life so from now on you're just Oy to me) I was under the impression that you have to actually exit UAE.

Although this sounds similar to what was done for my family when they converted their visit visa to residence visas. They didn't have to exit and instead I was charged a 500 dhs fee per person...

PRO should know. I hope..